Dec 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse7717
Two wire mod did not make a bit of difference. oh well, $150 for auto stabilization and RTH did seem too good to be true. Later Cyclops!
+1 at least you only 3 days i have been trying for almost a month, I'm no where near 2 flight with the osd, now i rather fly w/o osd until it get fixed, that if it can be fixed if not i will end up having a very expensive paper weight
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator
+1 at least you only 3 days i have been trying for almost a month, I'm no where near 2 flight with the osd, now i rather fly w/o osd until it get fixed, that if it can be fixed if not i will end up having a very expensive paper weight
Sorry to hear that man. Although our issues differ, if i can gather enough patience i will record fpv live feed to show what osd is doing...so that perhaps others will learn. Then its to the trash bin for this POS.
Dec 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Did you try to reflash it via usb programmer?
maybe it fixes it,
if something went bad during initial flash or during transport to you(X-ray and some other stuff they use to 'trigger' devices before loading cargo in airport) or so??
Dec 20, 2012, 02:49 AM
Flying Zayin

LED flashing mode

Sorry guys if this was asked before, I'm reading the thread from the beginning but still on page 32...
I power on the Storm (bench so far, probably will take it out tmrw), everything works more or less as should, but even with GPS getting fixed, the red LED on the board always keeps flashing.
In my implication, it should flash while looking for signal and then go into solid on mode but it doesn't.
So, is it normal that the LED on the board flashes all the way regardless GPS status?

Thank you.
- Mark -
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Dec 20, 2012 at 02:55 AM.
Dec 20, 2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray
Sorry guys if this was asked before, I'm reading the thread from the beginning but still on page 32...
I power on the Storm (bench so far, probably will take it out tmrw), everything works more or less as should, but even with GPS getting fixed, the red LED on the board always keeps flashing.
In my implication, it should flash while looking for signal and then go into solid on mode but it doesn't.
So, is it normal that the LED on the board flashes all the way regardless GPS status?

Thank you.
- Mark -
red LED flashes all the time, that is normal regardless of GPS fix.
Dec 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Sorry to hear that man. Although our issues differ, if i can gather enough patience i will record fpv live feed to show what osd is doing...so that perhaps others will learn. Then its to the trash bin for this POS.
of the three I have had...one worked fine for a while and then did something similar to yours....level is off by 15-20 degs so that it will never reset (adjust range is only =/-10 degs)....one was DOA....one has been working fine....

the poll thread I started shows about a 30% failure rate for this OSD...its got great features and software for the price (good job Extraline!), but I suspect some marginality in the design ...and certainly in the manufacturing quality
Dec 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
RC pilot by soul
Hello guys,

how good is the Storm OSD with flying wings, i.e. X-8 for example ?
Dec 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm
Hello guys,

how good is the Storm OSD with flying wings, i.e. X-8 for example ?
Yes its great with wings, flies mine spot on.
Dec 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Then its to the trash bin for this POS.
Yours may be a POS but mine certainly isn't... contact extraline if you have a problem see if he can help..
Dec 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
I believe the problems are still the minority
because no problem no post
I hope this post is designed to help solve any problem
Dec 20, 2012, 01:13 PM

X8

I replaced my Eagletree with this in my X8 because it was so easy to set up. The X8 is already rock stable and the auto pilot makes it even more so. My only problem has been losing the GPS signal which loses my tracking which freezes my picture. I'm hoping that it's a problem with those cheesy thin wires on the gps. I'm very impressed with how easily this was to set up and how well RTH worked when it was working. I simply velcroed it to the floor of my plane and really didn't have to adjust the pitch at all.
Dec 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
Flying
when setting my new cyclops storm on my bixler i did a short circuit when plugging the battery.
The light on the OSD disapeared and i have dead stick on aileron and elevator.
Do you know if it could be possible to easily fix that i don't know which element is "dead" ?
Or should i buy a new board...
Dec 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom
Did you try to reflash it via usb programmer?
maybe it fixes it,
if something went bad during initial flash or during transport to you(X-ray and some other stuff they use to 'trigger' devices before loading cargo in airport) or so??
Dr. Tom, I am inclined to agree that a simple reflash may rectify the situation but its just not in the cards for me. As I do not currently own a usb flash tool for cyclops and unwilling to wait 2 or more weeks to receive one only to find it doesn't resolve my issue.
Allow me some room to explore a wild tangent if you will. Observations of cultural differences both here and on other forums is fascinating for me. My perception would suggest every time China unleashes a sub-par RC related product on the market it always seems as if our Euro FPV brothers are on the cutting edge of problem solving that given product at a micro level. Just in this thread alone, Octane81 with his relentless testing and sharing and you Dr. Tom, the lengths you went to in an effort to resurrect your OSD. Its a given I am being VERY liberal with the generalities and hope not to offend anyone. I am American and as such I tend to be a consumer first and foremost and a problem solver R&D guy to a lesser degree. My idea of due diligence differs greatly from those in other parts of the world. If a product right out of the box gives me loads of issues to overcome, I am far more likely to just walk away. The larger issue at hand are the tons of poorly conceived and oft times even more poorly implemented products the FPV community has to endure. Quality control and design are severely lacking at best in most cases and absolutely nil in others. We are the R&D team, we are the test bed, the control group. There are reports of up to 30% DOA systems out there and although the sample size is small, this is a commonality that runs though a great many RC products. Fact of the matter is if these products were anything but hobby related would we as a RC community, Euros, Yanks, Aussies be willing to accept such a poor level of quality??? I think the RC world needs both types, the problem solvers and general consumers unwilling to purchase a product with a lackluster track record. But gosh it sure would be nice if one day products just worked right out of the box, less the weeks of endless tweaking, reflashing, testing, disappointments and challenges. Ultimately I buy components such as this to enhance my FPV and to larger degree flying experience and if any such product keeps me from said "flying" then I have precious little time to waste on it. Thanks for allowing me to indulge. Oh and Merry Christmas!
Dec 20, 2012, 03:16 PM
I would like to acknowledge the efforts of Extraline throughout this thread from beginning to end he has been here to help and advise. That is noteworthy considering most tech support/rep guys with other vendors "disappear" after a week or two of starting a new thread regarding their product.
Dec 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
Team WarpSquad
I think mightymouse7717 has stated it well, but I'm afraid you group 'all americans as consumerists' a bit too quickly. I agree, If this were an automotive component, the expectation would be different.

The costs for hardened designs, QA etc would drastically increase the price of the various components.

But this is a HOBBY we are talking about.

Some get as much enjoyment from experimenting and building as they do flying. This group doesn't mind being leading and bleeding edge, and is willing to piece parts together, experiment, and tweak. As long as components are not over-priced, this group is willing to try something if it looks like it will satisfy their needs, even with the knowledge that it may not be perfect or have some limitations. Remember the old school RC days where hobbyist had to build everything , and were the R&D team, test bed, and control group.

So it is not cultural, it is personal. A guy I fly with is very much of the mind set similar to yours. He expects perfect QA, fully plug and play, standardized with all components able to easily connect to the other components, and just work with no complicated wiring diagrams, tweaking. He wants to FLY! not necessarily know how the internals work, or are put together.. He is also willing to pay top dollar for this. I respect and understand this point of view.
The current state of FPV, RC is not 'quite' there yet.. Groups like TBS and others have attempted to put together RTF packages, but they often are lacking in certain functions or features. There are some systems out there in the $10,000 USD range, but for most that is beyond hobby grade..

I, on the other hand, get enjoyment from the tweaking, and sort of like the fact that I can put the pieces together to make a functioning system at less than half the cost of his. Often it perform as well, and maybe even better than some of the out of the box, high cost alternatives.
Last edited by InFocus; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply