Jan 05, 2016, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16
What if you have a failsafe on the ground for whatever reason?
Care to lose some blood or a body part? :P
This is what I meant by my above statement
That is a real thought-provocing question, especially for someone like myself who has been impacted by a prop strike on the ground and received 25 stitches to repair the damage. My initial first thought is that on all my planes now I program a motor kill switch that I religiously use when ever the plane is not in the air and powered up, and definitely before I approach or consider picking up my model.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2016, 09:54 AM
I can FPV :D
I have the same too, almost lost an eye a year ago
But the thing is, you only need to forget to flick the switch once to get another 25 switch, unless you have a post-it on the Tx or in your mind, the odds are still against me :P

The person before mentioned 2 fail-safes, curious to know how that works :P
Jan 05, 2016, 01:51 PM
Dont know how failsafe is being set on a taranis or so, but with EzUHF you just have to press a button on the EzUHF Transmitter to set the current stick and switch positions as failsafe.

When in the air i flick rth switch and 50% throttle, then pressing the button on EZUHF transmitter to set these positions as failsafe positions.

After landing and throttle to zero i press the button again and have failsafe with zero throttle...

Should not be that hard to understand.
Jan 05, 2016, 03:00 PM
nd3
nd3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalonsus
Dont know how failsafe is being set on a taranis or so, but with EzUHF you just have to press a button on the EzUHF Transmitter to set the current stick and switch positions as failsafe.

When in the air i flick rth switch and 50% throttle, then pressing the button on EZUHF transmitter to set these positions as failsafe positions.

After landing and throttle to zero i press the button again and have failsafe with zero throttle...

Should not be that hard to understand.

Yup, Dragonlink works the same.. I may start doing this.
On both my crafts, I have the RTH and 50% throttle set. I've had two close calls on the ground over the last year and a half. Both were my fault! Luckily I do always secure the planes during the arming process.

edit: So others can learn from my mistakes.

1st Instance: was working on the video system of my skyhunter. RTH and 50% throttle set as failsafe. Well, left my transmitter turned off knowing the ESC won't arm if it doesn't first receive a signal. Plugged the battery up and the ESC did a couple of beeps but didn't arm. I had done this several times before in the past and the ESC never armed. Well, this time, after about two minutes it did the arming series of beeps.. I was like WT F?!? And reached over just in time to grab the airplane as the motor spun up to full throttle. Lucky me. 1st error - Had the prop on while testing 2nd error - Had failsafe set in dangerous mode on the ground 3rd error - Didn't have the radio on.. Any one of these would have prevented the threat of injury.

2nd instance: this happened a couple weeks ago. Was showing some curious folks my video systems etc. When I turned on my taranis first my welcome greeting came on and spoke. The guys wanted to hear it again so I turned the radio on and off a couple of times.. During that process I must have flipped a random switch because the warning was displaying that a switch was out of place so even though the radio was on, it wasn't sending a signal. Unbeknownst to me of coarse.. LOL You see where I'm going with this.. So, I plug in the battery and luckily, I always hold the plane when powering just to make sure it doesn't do anything stupid. And the motor comes to life!
Last edited by nd3; Jan 05, 2016 at 03:19 PM. Reason: to help others
Jan 05, 2016, 04:30 PM
When I'm setting anything up on the ground I take the prop off. I'm old and bump into things, like switches when I'm not supposed to.
Jan 07, 2016, 10:44 AM
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread from 25 pages back to this first thread on the cyclops storm osd ap. I have noticed that there are some problems that you have been looking to resolve and it makes me wonder if I want to go the cyclops way. If you had to do it all over again, what osd/apm would you buy to have a true plug and play system? I don't mind a challenge but I don't have the luxury of time to delve into the unit to fix it so it works as advertised.
Jan 07, 2016, 11:17 AM
My Storm worked out of the box
Plugged in like 15 wires, set the craft level to reset gyros and stuff and was in the air the next morning :P
I love the storm, but the failsafe issue above annoys me now and I'd probably swap it for a Tornado
Jan 07, 2016, 11:17 AM
My name is Tom
Good question.

Tom.
Jan 07, 2016, 01:03 PM
keep our skies free for FPV...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO1
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread from 25 pages back to this first thread on the cyclops storm osd ap. I have noticed that there are some problems that you have been looking to resolve and it makes me wonder if I want to go the cyclops way. If you had to do it all over again, what osd/apm would you buy to have a true plug and play system? I don't mind a challenge but I don't have the luxury of time to delve into the unit to fix it so it works as advertised.
I still say the Storm is a solid value for it's price and all mine do what they are suppose to. The big issue is obviously that you are dealing with a product that is older and is no longer supported by the manufacturers. When you buy one of the newer units you will get more recent technology and most likely have an actively involved team behind it to help you when something comes-up. But chances are good that the price is going to be more then twice what you'd pay for the Storm. When you hit an issue here, you have no alternative but to pull up your sleeves and tackle it yourself (along with all the great guys around here of course)... That, and it's best to go into it knowing that there will not be any further FW updates to enhance the product further.
Jan 07, 2016, 02:23 PM
Before speaking, engage brain!
+1 agreed, I've been using one for over 12months now with no issues to speak of, looking to order a spare as I prefer low cost and basic, this fits the bill. Yes be aware that there is no further support, but for the price what are you expecting?
Jan 07, 2016, 03:03 PM
I have one and love it.. all the features work as advertised. RTH is rock solid.. Never had a problem with it.
Jan 07, 2016, 03:55 PM
My name is Tom
Could someone just clarify the situation with my current setup and the possibility of getting a Storm and using RTH, either user activated or emergency.
I have a Futaba 7C Tx in combo with an FRSky TFR6 Rx that, for the sake of argument, is set to 50% throttle if my Tx dies on me. If I then add the Storm and I either switch to RTH or my Tx dies will the RTH mode revert to the pre-established 50% throttle setup between my Futaba Tx and FrSky Rx, or does something else happen/need to be done?

Cheers,
Tom.
Jan 07, 2016, 04:59 PM
Before speaking, engage brain!
You need to operate the throttle while the radio is on, that is to say if you decide to engage RTH then make sure you have the throttle set to cruise (at least) Storm DOES NOT control the throttle.

When you set failsafe on your RC transmitter, make sure you set the throttle in the cruise position. If you do not and failsafe engages due to loss of signal, the aircraft will not be able to maintain altitude as there will be no throttle.

Before you launch hold the aircraft steady and make sure the motor fires up when you switch the transmitter off, ensure everyone is clear before doing this.

Be sure to understand Storm does not control the throttle in any state.
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Jan 07, 2016 at 05:36 PM.
Jan 07, 2016, 05:12 PM
I would like to add to Happy Ket saying (and as I said this on the previous page as well)
IF you do decide to do what Happy Ket suggests, then PLEASE change your failsafe 0 throttle as soon as you land (or take of props whenever the craft is not flying) because if you hit failsafe for whatever reason, things will get really bad really quick (if you are not prepared for it)
Jan 07, 2016, 05:58 PM
My name is Tom
Ok, that's fine, as I figured the Futaba/FrSky failsafe (or manual throttle control) during RTH is as if I was flying without the Storm.

I have one switch on my Futaba assigned to my throttle, using mixing, that deactivates the throttle, regardless of stick position. If I were to knock the RTH switch when the plane was on the ground I would already have the throttle switched off, as a matter of course, and the prop would not spin up. I presume the only way this would fail is if I somehow landed and, as I approached the aeroplane, either I accidentally switch off my Tx or it dies, both of which are highly unlikely. I also stay aware of the prop and unplug my battery at the earliest opportunity as well.

Cheers.
Tom.

Quick Reply