Thread Tools
Aug 26, 2012, 08:19 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
dbdukeboy's Avatar
Discussion

Can I boost up my champs power


Im new to the hobby and love flying my micros,but when it is a little windy I will only fly my champ. I just wanted to know if I could safely put a motor from my t- 28 or polecat on the champ. I know the gear boxes are the same for all 3.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
For best power, get a Nine Eagles Bravo SX motor. Only catch, it comes with a different pinion and motor connector, but with a little handy work both things can be fixed. Combined with a decent 240 mAh battery I understand you can make it climb vertically.
Aug 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
Felt_ripper 23's Avatar
The champ and t 28 have the same motor. The polecat motor is stronger, 'cause its coreless.
Aug 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
dbdukeboy's Avatar
But if I put a polecat motor in will it fry my receiver
Aug 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy
But if I put a polecat motor in will it fry my receiver
The Polecat motor will do just fine in the champ. The Gearbox and prop are the same in both the Champ and Polecat.

Also use a lightweight and quality battery like a 160 mA Thunder Power or Hyperion cell.
Aug 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23
The champ and t 28 have the same motor. The polecat motor is stronger, 'cause its coreless.
The Champ also has a coreless motor. You are probably thinking of brushless, a type of motor that usually has more power than those with brushes. But you can't just connect a brushless motor to a speedcontroller for brushed motors. Brushless speed controllers have 3 wires between motor and speedcontroller, and works quite differently. You can't test a brushless motor with just connecting it with a battery, for instance, it can't run without it's dedicated speed controller.


The stronger motor will not burn your Champ brick. Quite a few pilots have been using stronger motors on a stock Champ without any issues. Sure, you can't fit any size motor, you can overload the brick, but with those 8 mm motors there is no risk.
Aug 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23
The champ and t 28 have the same motor. The polecat motor is stronger, 'cause its coreless.
uhhhh, no. All of the HH 8.4mm and 6mm are "coreless".

The Polecat and T-28 motors are identical spec (black bell), only the wire length is different. The Champ motor is Weaker (translucent white bell) and is the same spec as the orignal Sukhoi.

This higher powered motor is known as the "Mustang Motor" because the Mustang was the first application of the Black Belled motor.
Aug 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
dbdukeboy's Avatar
Thanks for all the tips, now is it worth doing?
Aug 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy
Thanks for all the tips, now is it worth doing?
A mustang motor will swap in with no mods. It will give better performance, but needs better batteries to make full thrust. Batteries that may work OK with the champ motor can choke on the Mustang motor.
Aug 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
Registered User
I R Irv's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy
Thanks for all the tips, now is it worth doing?
For people who think the Champ is just fine the way it is, no it's probably not worth doing.
For people who would like more power ( such as yourself) then yes it's probably worth doing.
But why stop there, if you go for a stronger motor you might as well get some quality batteries and even a GWS 5043 prop to try.
TODD

Yep I got some slow fingers. ^^^^^
Last edited by I R Irv; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Aug 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
Crazy Canuck
NEWBEFLYER's Avatar
My little Champ is beefed up with the Mustang motor and the 5043 prop and I have one of Jin's floats and boy does she "hop" in the air. I can do loops with her and some real funny barrel rolls. The Mustang motor greatly improves the flight envelope of the Champ.
Aug 30, 2012, 04:21 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
KaiWE's Avatar
I have one Champ with the original motor and one with the Mustang-motor. My 11-year old son always call dibs on the one with the Mustang-motor, he claims that the other one is no fun in comparison

He loves to hand launch it vertically:
Felix (1 min 38 sec)


(This one is not one he's particularly proud of, was to windy, but thr only one I have on video )
Oct 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN
A mustang motor will swap in with no mods. It will give better performance, but needs better batteries to make full thrust. Batteries that may work OK with the champ motor can choke on the Mustang motor.
Hmm... I bought a Champ fuselage with electronics and swapped the brick out for a 6400. I then put the Champ brick into a scratch built with a P-51 motor. I am using a 250mAh battery. What happens is the the motor cuts out even at half throttle, and sometimes won't restart. I've tried different p-51 motors. Same result. Can I assume that the brick is bad? elevator and rudder work OK. Thanks for any advice.
Oct 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset
Hmm... I bought a Champ fuselage with electronics and swapped the brick out for a 6400. I then put the Champ brick into a scratch built with a P-51 motor. I am using a 250mAh battery. What happens is the the motor cuts out even at half throttle, and sometimes won't restart. I've tried different p-51 motors. Same result. Can I assume that the brick is bad? elevator and rudder work OK. Thanks for any advice.
Well I just now plugged the Champ motor into the Champ brick and it works fine - no cutting out. My assumption is that the brick can't handle the 1.6 amps the P-51 needs - or the brick doesn't meet specs, but can just handle the Champ motor.
Oct 03, 2012, 04:10 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset
Well I just now plugged the Champ motor into the Champ brick and it works fine - no cutting out. My assumption is that the brick can't handle the 1.6 amps the P-51 needs - or the brick doesn't meet specs, but can just handle the Champ motor.
Could be the batteries. Even 250 batteries have to be in good shape to run a mustang motor.

Off brand, old or 12C batteries won't cut it


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Can I run my KK2 board & ESC's off my Bench Power Supply? AcroFPV Multirotor Drone Electronics 18 Aug 16, 2012 12:44 PM
Question How Can I Hook Up the Included Nav Lights On my Plane? ClevelandBaller Electric Plane Talk 11 Aug 13, 2012 10:49 PM
Help! Can I bind any receiver to my hz champ transmitter VuzeDroid Electric Plane Talk 1 Jul 13, 2012 12:16 AM
FAQ How can I set up my HoverFly GPS??? SebastianDns Aerial Photography 1 May 06, 2012 01:23 PM
My E Boomerang needs a power boost any suggestions on motors Joe Elston Electric Plane Talk 0 Jul 24, 2001 06:37 PM