View Poll Results: Will you attend???
Absolutely! It will be great! 18 38.30%
I want but have to check my plans... 13 27.66%
No! There is mosqitos in your country and I fancy viciting central Europe! 1 2.13%
No! It is too far away 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 11, 2014, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaulfi
Ahh, you and me both. Money was the only thing holding me back this year. Spain will be better anyway as its a bit cheaper and easier for us on this side of the pond to fly to. I remember our last visit to Spain, that ended up most of us getting hammered the night before the final and you skinny dipping in the pool at the motel. Good fun though.

Count me in..
Hell yes great times . ill start to save now for spain next year, that's a Date then.

All the best Graham
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2014, 04:35 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/

Warning!~~~~~~ VEEeeEEeeRY long message!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Bike Worlds 2014

The full story!

Preparation

For the first time I prepared a wet bike, which means a second bike, to be ran if only the race will be declared as wet. Of course, this is common practice for most of the drivers, so you don’t have to waterproof your electronics, as we did last year. Speaking of last year, I managed to lose an ESC, despite my best effort to waterproof it. Not to mention the suspension setup changes…
I didn’t buy a second bike, of course, but instead I used my old one (the “Lostallo 2011” bike), complete with new plastic parts, fresh ball bearings and a softer setup on the suspension.
My “dry” bike was first raced at the 2013 RC Bike Worlds, in Austria.

So, since it was decided by the TM’s during the Warm Up, I would install the new, completely waterproof combo, by Reely, which, Thomas Feilner brought to me and other racers, in Sweden. The ESC is rated at 45A and the motor, being the usual 3650 dimensions, seems to be a bit faster than the SP 13.5T, we are running now, the Reely motor rated at 3215kv.

As for the “dry” bike, first of all I had a couple of friends prepare me a new body. My friend Lefteris (www.superbmotos.com) created a design based on the Liqui Moly colors. Then, time being quite short, and my friendly painter who did my 2013 bodyshells getting married just two days before I contacted him, another friend, Lampros, who races 1/5 LS cars, offered his assistance with the painting. After a few hectic days trying different –and not always successfully working- masking methods he managed to paint it quite nicely.
The stickers were scratch made by Lefteris. The body is the STO-Racing one, and along with all the parts for the bikes, were purchased from www.rc-motorradshop.de.
The lexan is basically designed for the JABBER, but with very few mods it was made to fit the SB-5, this being easier to accomplice, especially since I am not using the standard kit’s mounting system.

When it was time to glue the lexan pieces together, we had a few laughs: First, I realized my Hudy body glue was over! So, I went to my local hobby shop, www.fanatix.gr, asking for some of the same. Only, they had just ran out of stock! Nikos Georgiadis, the Greek multi-champion in 1/10 electric TC, almost saved my day, giving me his own glue, which, unfortunately was not enough.
Desperately, I put a request on FB, and Nikos Nikolakopoulos, of www.rcring.eu came to the reque with a brand new Zap-a-dapa-goo!!!
Phew!

Nikos also provided me with brand new SP electronics: A Reventon ESC, a program card and a MMM 13.5T motor.

As far as the rest of the tech spec goes, I have already installed a few goodies made by Lightscale: The rear swing arm plates and the curved main chassis plates (I measured the lean angle at 69-70 deg., at the track!). I have also used Edi Winter’s swing arm box, the long front fork plates (TT options) and two sets of aluminum TT hubs.
I also installed a small lexan cover filled with… holes, on top of the ESC fan, to protect any wires that would come in close contact with it.

My steering shocks were special, too, a design that was given to me by Gianni Zonzini, last year, in Austria, when he realized I could use some more accuracy from my steering…
In the end, I added lead plates (an idea by T. Feilner), on both sides of the battery case, so I could be within the stock class limit of 1800 grams.

Last but not least, the batteries: I am already using my last year’s two Nosram 7200’s, but I needed two more, so Fanatix came up very quickly with two brand new LRP 7200’s.
I’d love to thank my friends Lefteris, Lampros, Nikos G, Nikos N and Fotis in no particular order, for all their assistance during my preparation for the RC Bike Worlds.

Sunday to Wednesday

Sunday was travel day. Easily, and around ten hours after I left my home front door, I was at the track.
My flight started in Athens, at 11.50 in the morning, and after 3.20 hrs we landed in Stockholm. My rental was a brand mew Hyundai i20, in which I did the trip to the track in around 4.30 hrs. I took my time, did a few u-turns due to misreading the GPS (at one time I was heading towards Uppsala!). The last 80-90 kms towards Lidkoping were wet but not rainy, and also full of speed cameras and low speed limits, at 70 to 80 km/h.

Even though I got to the track at around 9.30 pm, there was still light in the sky, and a few people were practising. So, I walked the track, marshalling a few friends, saying my hellos, and then I went to the Von Elling home, with the help of Johann of LRCK Club, at the track who marked their home on my GPS.
A few minutes later, I was at Mrs Von Elling's birthday party!

Monday morning, I am at the pits at 8.00 am. New track, new me, new everything, I put on my brave face and decide to hit the track. During my first two batteries I am frustrated and disappointed… This is not looking good. I can’t make a single lap without crashing. Not to mention that the grass is still wet, after last night’s rain…
As the day goes by, however, I finally find a rhythm and start doing whole laps without crashing! I even managed 5 consecutive laps!

At 2 pm it starts raining. Good! I prepare my wet bike. I install the new electronics, which Thomas Feilner kindly brought to me. Mount a balloon around my receiver, in the back of the frame, and leave the transponder out there in the cold. It’s supposed to be waterproof, right?!
I mount my last year’s PMT 200 which I had only ran then in the rain, helped along by my longest scratchbars. The bike is almost driving itself! Almost magic! The traction of the fully wet track reminds me that of my local track FRT which is slippery at a few places, and I slide the bike controllably around them!
The rain stops, so I remove the transponder to the dry bike and start again. The dry bike is of course set up differently, I am using my last year’s GRP A-compound soft tires and in general it’s almost undriveable.

I have to find Mr. Gandini to get me some new tires. He had told me he was coming on Monday.
I find Miky Repetati, of RG Evolution and he has the keys to the GRP container. I get one set of R1’s and one set of S1’s, after discussing with Miky what works and what doesn’t.
In the meantime, a steady not-so-strong rain starts. Time to try the R1’s, then!
I ran three batteries in the rain, more than 15 minutes each, and I never went into the lipo cut off point. The batteries seem very powerful, both my Nosrams and the new LRP’s. As for the R1’s… they work like magic! They find traction almost everywhere! And they are slicks! The wet bike, as I’ve already said, is practically stock.
After 7.30pm (daylight is like at 4.30 pm!) the track started drying and the traction is at its worst…

We have the track open from 7 am to 21 pm, every day till Thursday so I intend to practice as much as possible. I ran 12 batteries today.
I have started learning the track layout by now… I have a tough time at a couple of points, but I believe I can work my way with them, hopefully before the timed practice starts on Thursday!
The tricky parts for me are the uphill long S-turn that leads to the chicane… It looks like a straight, but it is deceiving! It really is a very wide left turn, just so wide that it misleads you that it’s straight… And while you are driving straight, you end up in the grass! Faan! (Yea, I learned two Swedish words: This and Tak! Thanks!)
The chicane itself is tricky, too, having four very slow corners that lead to the pitlane straight (which is not a straight, of course!). It reminds me of my local track, FRT, chicane. Only it’s twice the turns!
The temps are never below 23C, despite the rain, and when the sun is out, it’s barely ever more than 27C. Perfect!

In the next couple of days, I don’t have a lot to report. I took some pics, some video in the rain and did some fine tuning to the bikes.
As for the weather prediction, it seems to me that both Norwegian and Swedish weathermen are quite like the Greek ones: They predict nothing seriously!!!!

And after some experimenting, I at last found some of my steering precision on the dry bike, which when I started was running too wide, so I had to slow down a lot to make it turn.
As far as my lap times are concerned, practically, for the first two days, all my laps are in the wet. I started at 39-something, then managed to go down to 37.1. With the dry bike, I am at 36 and looking to go better…
So that we have a good measure, though, Pantovic, the winner of the Warm Up, also the holder of the track record for the Stock Class, at 28-something, is doing 30-31’s… in the WET!!!!!! I can’t really tell what I do, compared with other drivers, since the screens only show transponders and laptimes.

The good thing with the wet track is that traction is quite good with GRP’s special developed R1 tires, but also with Roadies Wet or Medium’s, from what I hear in the pits. All this, of course, if you are sensible with both the throttle and brake application.
Abrupt use of these, will be punished immediately! The grass is waiting for my mistakes! The grass, however, has some traction for the miraculous wet tires, provided you get on it with the bike pretty much vertical. So, if you miss a turn –I do it quite a lot- you just straighten the bike to vertical, ride over the grass and land on the next lane of asphalt!

One other great thing is that all the racers and family members watching are very helpful with marshalling. I do it, too, when I’m not driving.
The bike brands racing this year are mostly JABBER and RG Evolution. Nuova Faors are fewer and the Thunder Tiger bikes are just two or three. Hmmm… two of these are mine! Of course Einibike’s are here too in very small numbers.
As for the nitro bikes, they are divided between NF and RG with a couple of Eini’s, too.

Of course, as always, there are a few homemade bikes, like the 4-stroke of Rudi Grahamer, the SBK of Peter Kahler, the stock bikes of Dario Costi and Kim Nielsen and the British nitro bike of Richard Blisset. If I am forgetting someone, please forgive me!

The schedule for Wednesday is timed free practice, and not uncontrolled free practice, like the two previous days. This means running three times and with official marshalling, but after 2.30pm the track will be open to all until the evening…
Finally, the weather promises rain for the next couple of days! What else?! It promises to be fun!!!

I had my two bad times… During the first TFP, I did just two laps and lost my steering! Unfortunately, after I crashed with another bike –and I swear, Officer, I am innocent!- I had one of the steering shocks broken, so the bike would turn right only! DNF!
During the 2nd and 3rd TFP’s, now with new GRP S1’s (soft) I had extremely good feel and traction, so I started taking liberties with my driving. The lap times tell half the truth, however. I seem to be having the last place in the ranking, but I continue to lower my best laps, and my medium laps.
I started the 2nd TFP at 37 sec. and by the 3rd one I was down to 33!
After the 3rd one, the track was open to all, so I ran another 5-6 batteries, fine tuning this and that and finally giving my old PMT 200 cut slicks a try! Funny as it may seem, they gave me the most confidence to push as hard as I wished and my best lap time, so far: 33.00!!!
However, to have a measure of laptimes, the rest of the Stock class drivers are constantly doing 30-31 sec laps, while the top ones are in the 28-30 sec region.
The same is true of nitro bikes, them being equal or very slightly faster, while the SBK’s are doing 26-29 sec laps.
As I see it, I can do 31, but not better. I am trying to give my all and take as much as I can from the bike, but there is no more…
There’s no way I can catch the JABBERs and RG-Evolutions. They are (at least!) half a class above my league.
So be it!

Keeping it to the Stock class, there were 23 registered in Stock class, but so far only 18 are doing the TFP.
We had a Team Manager (TM ) meeting and discussed procedure stuff for maybe 20 minutes.
Germany suggested we do the 2016 RC Bike Worlds at the Leipsig track. It has been done again, there, in 2009. There was a proposition by Voijn Pantovic, that Serbia organizes the 2016 Championship at the Aigen-Schlag track, in Austria. It was defeated by Germany. People asked me: When in Greece, at FRT?
Hmmm… I replied… in 2020! Maybe!

The race referee is Swedish. He was brought here from Uppsala. His name? Busse Hasberg. And yes, he is the father of our friend, the World Champion in 1/10 scale cars, Alexander Hagberg. I have raced against Alexander, (well… sort of! I was in the C-final!) when he came to Athens, Greece and raced at our own X-ray Challenge in 2012.
We took a few pics and chatted a lot! Lovely guy!

Thursday dawned with a nice sunny weather. Temps were nicely around 24-26C. We did three TFP’s and the first Qualifying Run.
I did quite well in the TFP’s, even though not so fast, with my best being 33-something.
At the Q1 I did a few 32+ laps, now with the GRP S1’s, which I marked at the tech inspection. The tire rule for Stock class says we can have two pairs of tires for dry weather and one set for wet weather. After talking with Mr. GRP himself, Mr. Gandini, I decided to get a second set of GRP softs (S1). He reasoned that with the current temps and the condition of the track, S1’s would be the best choice.

The Roadies of choice seem to be the Mediums, however, I’m not really sure if you can compare the two tire brands’ names of compounds directly.
In the end, I decided to get my tires based on what my wallet said: The GRP’s were 45 euros a pair, the Roadies a bit more. It was 80 euros on the internet, before the Worlds; I don’t know if the price was discounted at the track.

Anyway, I did very well in this 1st Q., even though I am still at 17 laps, while I could EASILY do two more laps, so I got the last place in the Stock class ranking!
So, let me explain and not tell excuses! I had two exits: One was my own fault. The other one was an accident caused by a bike which flew on my path, coming from another lane of asphalt, after having crashed there. Of course, this is racing, and these things happen. Until the first incident, I was 2nd in my group and I could easily follow, if not reach the leader. However, I crashed right at the u-turn that is there at the start of the main straight, and the marshal was just not there. He was chatting with his friend in the next position. That very lap was 1 min. 06 seconds. I was waiting there quite a long time… Parla, parla, parla… and no recupere, recupere, recupere…
Even the race director noticed this…
Despite all this, I did a lot of 32s in this Q. so I guess I am doing well!!!

In the afternoon we had the traditional National Team presentation. Before that, a local band paraded in the track and played a few familiar tunes! Lovely!
There was of course the other tradition, the Concours d’ Elegance! I knew I didn’t have a chance, here, of course!
The two ladies who were the critics chose four bodyshells, all belonging to Team Italia, all on RG bikes, all painted by (missing from this Worlds!) Frenchman Danny Boudin!
The winning bike belongs to Miky Repetati, who didn’t hesitate to race it in the finals! It certainly was very beautiful, as were all the other Boudin designs!

Finally, before the night ended, we had the banquet with a lot (I mean a LOT!) of very good food, wine and beers. And of course all the lovely people of RC Bikes! Both drivers and families!!!

Oh, before the banquet, Mr. Von Elling, the senior, an rc racer himself, showed off in the track with his new “toy”: A 1/5th scale electric 4WD FG BMW M3 GT3, which runs on 8S Lipos and is unbelievably fast! In fact it was faster than a Tamiya 1/10 electric TC, which came with a 4.5T motor! (on 2S, only, however!!!)

To be continued!!!!
Aug 12, 2014, 04:46 AM
Here you have a lot of really great pictures from the week. Photographer is Johan Eriksson.

http://bilder.gokartfoto.se

Regards
Fredrik von Elling
Aug 12, 2014, 04:51 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Friday, August 8, 2014

It was a quiet day, in general, but with a few things happening to make it interesting!
I started in the morning with a good, dry Q. I even lowered my best lap to 31.8!!! And being quite stable in the laps, helped. I was doing easy 32’s. However, the track is still drying in places, so we have a few slides, here and there…
Next Q. is around 11.30 am. I am doing even better, at 18 laps, now, and my best lap is even better at 31.5!!! I am trying to push as hard as I dare, and when I’m finally on the track surface, I’m doing very good, compared with the drivers in my group.

We start Q4 at around 3pm and halfway through the race rain starts, so we all start crashing around like ducks falling off the sky at the start of the hunting season!!! I did a good run, despite the crashing and everything, but we held a brief TM meeting and decided unanimously to rerun the whole Q4. Actually I was in the first group of Stockbikes, after the two groups of Nitrobikes.

So, we reran the Q4, only the track was at its worst ever. Just wet, but not with standing water, it had the worst traction of all my days there.
Despite this, and doing only 13 laps (what a shame?!) I finish next to last.
Of course, as soon as all three groups of Stockbikes ran the Q4, the sun shone, the track dried very quickly and the lucky SBK’s ran dry!!!

In general, I am doing better, with every battery ran, with every heat passing, doing very small changes here and there, and learning to trust the GRP S1’s more and more. It is obvious however that my SB-5 is outdated. Me and Robert counted the lean angle on the pit table: 69 degrees. But they are not enough! The JABBERs and RG’s are even more: Try 74-75 degrees!!!!

After the races are over, I ran a couple of batteries with the dry bike and I see that I can achieve the 30 sec lap…
Until tomorrow, then!!!

Meanwhile, in the last TM meeting there was this idea of a Speed Run to be held on Saturday afternoon after the race schedule is done for the day, at the nearby Kart track main straight!

Here’s a small video of Simon’s first try at the Speed Run:

RC Bike Worlds 2014 (1 min 54 sec)
Aug 12, 2014, 07:00 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Σάββατο, 9 Αυγούστου
Ops, that was in Greek!
Saturday, August 9!

So, a nice day dawned today, with a nice warm sun and we did the last two Q’s and the first heat of my final. I am running No. 11 in the Stock bike B-Final.

First things, first, then… At around 9 am we do the 5th Q, with wet grass but on a completely dry track. Despite the prewarmed tires (yes, I am also using TWT Tire warmers, made by the 2014 Stock Bike World Champion Fabio Tosti), I do a best lap of 32,00, but with 2-3 crashes I remain next to last. The funny thing is that except for the French driver Laurent Galuzzo, I can be as fast or even faster than anyone else. I realize this as I can get close to everyone, and pass them. And then, I crash, and they keep their positions! Just like that! So, go back to chasing those who you just passed! Silly, I know!

Anyway, I’m having a great time, and so do everyone in my heat, from what I hear being said by my fellow drivers on the drivers’ stand! Words like m@rde, put@in, faan, f@ck,, bugger, fock (what’s this supposed to mean?!) and similar, are in the order of the day! But they are aimed mostly at themselves, and I hear them laugh, at the same time!

The point is that the timing, the lap times, the finishing order have little or no meaning to me (yea, I know, excuses… excuses!!!)

In the last Q, the 6th, I had this nervousness that everyone had told me they had, and I didn’t have, so far! So, of course I destroyed everything, not that I could do anything better, now that I think of it! I did a 31,9 and a few 32’s but these weren’t enough for me to manage to do those 18 laps! Cheers!
So, the final ranking for me after 6 Q runs, finds me 21th out of 22 racers in Stock Class.

The race director decides to make only two finals, A with 10 drivers, and B with the rest 12. I will start 11th, right at the end of the main straight.
So, today we will have the first heat of the Superbikes D, C and B-finals, and the Stockbikes B-final.

I must say that I am not afraid of starting at the end of the straight. I have a story to tell, here: Since my first Worlds, in 2010, my starter in all my finals was John Veal, who always did an excellent job in boosting my confidence and starting position!

So, with John’s excellent push, for one more time, I find myself in 7th position just after the first lap, in the 1st heat of the B-final. I decide to go easy, and push as hard and as safely as I can at the same time. Well… easier said than done! After a few laps I start my usual crash-chase game and I finish in the 9th position…
And yes, I did 18 laps! Yey!!!! And for 3 seconds I missed doing 19 laps!
More yey!!!
(Well, does it really matters that other people were doing 21 laps in stock class?!!! )

In the afternoon, after the races were over, it was decided to do the Speed Run we were talking about yesterday (see Simon’s video, above, done in preparation, on Friday afternoon).

Only… at 5pm it started raining cats and dogs (and whales, and sea lions and other big stuff!). So, the brave among us –not me- decided to do a race with karts!
Two hours later they all came back fully soaked and with big smiles on their faces!!!
They obviously had a GREAT time!

Sunday's report will come later (hopefully!)

Aug 12, 2014, 11:23 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
All my reports, in Greek, at first...
But... there are a few pics in all of them.
The text is basically the same one as above.
Enjoy:

Preparation: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/03/proetoi...e-worlds-2014/
Day 1: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/05/o-stelios-exei-liosei-idi/
Day 2: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/06/rc-bike-worlds-2/
Day 3: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/07/rc-bike-worlds-imera-3i/
Day 4: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/08/rc-bike-worlds-4/
Day 5: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/09/rc-bike-worlds-imera-5i/
Day 6: http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/10/rc-bike-worlds-6/
Sunday: to be published! (Probably later today!)

Aug 12, 2014, 06:37 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Thanks for the report, Stelios. Always fun to read. And thanks for all the pics over the time of the event. Cheers!
Aug 13, 2014, 01:02 AM
A big thanks to all who organised the meeting. I can't fault a thing. it all ran like clock work.

Got there Wednesday lunch time which ment we missed the rain Monday Tuesday. Did a couple of runs in the afternoon before going to the hotal and found corner onto the straight very hard to get right, Had another few runs when we got back to the track thanks for JV and Ken for marshalling and start to get a feel for the place.

Thursday was pre qually for heats and having a slighty less populated track ment I could take the lines I wonted and things started to click abit more. Not much more but a bit. I was shocked at the pace I was running nearly 8 seconds off the top guys. rear end chatter being a big problem for my bike.

Friday with more pre qually in the morning I rubbed the front brake servo cable bare and had a nightmare getting the front wheel shimmed so the brake would not bind. Final got that sorted for my first proper qually run in the afternoon and found myself in 8 place due to bad luck for some of the other nitro guys.

sataday after some advice from the NF team I went bout sorting the rear end chatter, With help of half the UK team and a part from KP designs I got the rear end sorted and the lap times started to drop, not enough but started to drop, The corner onto the straight was my nemesis with a afew words of advice from Bomber I started to use a differnt line and it all started to click abit more and final qually place was 12th.

Sunday: Race day new there was no chance of a B final win with JV and Kims going round with out problems, Morning warm up confirmed this and them a long wait until 1.00pm for my first ever 30 minute race, Would the RBp bike hold togeather long enough not to make a fool of myself, I filled my time being chef starter for the UK guys and apart from a shocking push start in Matts 2nd final all the guys gained at least one place into the first corner, Now it was race time for me.

With Gary as my pit man we moved to rostrum only for the one way bearing to fall apart with 4 minutes to go. With that replace we were flag down and off. Jv got the lead until I hit him off half way round. He caught me up in half a lap I made the choce to let him go up the inside and not race him. his pace was to much for me this weekend and he had some stiff compition for the win form the other teams. I kind of settle into a rythem just waiting for the RBp to fail, to my surprise Gary shouted up for the first pit stop, a quick glance at the score boarded saw me in 3rd place, by the tome the next pit stop came at 20 minutes I dropped down to 4th 3 laps behind JV. The bike ran until the end with out any problems apart my bad riding landing me in 4th place in the B final

The rest of the afternoon I spent watching the A finals. We got most the UK team out for a meal and beer sunday evening and with racing over we all had time to relex and have a dam good laugh,

great weekend great people and hope to make next year in Spain.
Aug 13, 2014, 06:51 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
My playlist with all 21 videos from the RC Bike Worlds!!!!!
At last... here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...b7E5eqV36Dbjcq

Also, (for now in Greek only, but with a lot of pics!) my report of Sunday:

http://rcdevil.gr/2014/08/13/rc-bike-worlds-2014/

In English... a bit later!
Aug 13, 2014, 11:38 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
RC Bike Worlds 2014

Sunday August 10

Finals' day, today. Since I knew I would only race twice today, and my marshalling is only after I race, I took the chance to not wake up too early! Every morning, Gunther would wake me up at 7 am. This morning, I woke up at a luxurious- feeling 8.30 am!!!
I got to the track at around 9.30. I am racing at 10.21am.

I charge both my good LRP Batteries, and start readying the dry bike: Check that all screws are tight, no plastic or carbon parts are broken or twisted, wheels and ball bearings are clean. We’re as ready as can be.
John Veal, my English friend takes my bike and waits for me under the drivers’ stand. He walks across the track, we do a practice start. Perfect.
Race starts. I do a very good start and I find myself being 5th after the first corner. I don’t need to listen to the rankings on the megaphones, I see the first four drivers in front. It looks good, don’t screw up now!
As the saying goes… easier said than done!
Until the 8th minute I am in 6th position, since two faster drivers have passed me, not easily though, I don’t just let them pass me without a fight. If you can pass me, pass me!
At that minute I am done: During the next three laps I do a glorious crash in each one! Each one! Dear God!
Finally, I end up 9th overall after 8 good minutes and two minutes of chasing my own tail!
There goes the 2nd final. Again, I’m 9th…

Until I race my last final heat at 13.42pm, I watch a recital of driving from the best drivers in the World, in both Stock and SBK classes.
The second heats of both A-finals are ran.
The 2nd heats of the B, C and D Finals of SBK’s are done too.
Also, the B-final of Nitrobikes is done. My friend John Veal wins after a fair and good fight, racing his Einibike (Right, John?).

My turn comes again. John breaks our 5 year old tradition and does not start me! He has to marshal my heat!!! (No hard feelings, there, John! )
My new pit mate and new friend, the Australian Robert Manitta, who recently moved to Sweden, but also made this a real “World” Championship, is starting my bike.
We did a couple of practice starts, he is more nervous than me!
Incredibly, no one crashes at the start, so for the first few laps I am dead last! 12th! I see the two English drives, Vater and Timms Sr. in front of me. I manage to somehow pass them both and stay ahead of them for the rest of the race.
I also did my absolute best lap of the event: 31,600. This is all I could do at this track. I finish 8th, this time.
My overall ranking is 21th out of 22! Cheers! Let’s see for next year, now!

Right after my heat, the Nitrobike A-final is starting.
Fantastic racing, that sound, the smells! Four Italians are fighting for the first place. Finally, Govannini (The G of RG-Evolution, the R is Repetati) wins, a lap ahead of Nascosti (NF) and Ciccacci (also NF). Cavallari, the 4th Italian driver is a distant 4th, about 3 laps behind.

The last races to do today are the final heats of SBK and Stock A-finals.
Tosti is already the World Champion in Stock Class, with two wins, while in the SBK, there are a lot of fronts open.
Polydor and Lutz have a win each, while Fredrik Von Elling and Hammerton have both each a 2nd place.
Fighting for the 3rd place of the heat, Von Elling and Hammerton have a tumble, Nicholas knows it’s actually his fault that Fredrik crashes, so while he is still upright, slows down, waits for Fredrik to be marshalled and lets him pass. A true Gentleman.
Their fights goes right up to the finish line, with Fredrik taking the 3rd place and Nicholas finishing a very very close 4th.
Meanwhile, Stefan Polydor takes the win and the SBK World Championship, a very worthy win! And it’s his second Championship in a row! And he’s only 17!!!!

Marcus Von Elling, who in the last two days, when not racing for the A final (he finished 6th overall), proved his Royal Arforce nickname: Broadcast!
He was always with a microphone in hand, giving spirited descriptions of the fights on the track, both in English and Swedish, so that the hundreds of spectators who were hanging on the fence and on both verandas either side of the drivers’ stand, would enjoy and understand the racing!
When Marcus was not speaking, another former fighter pilot and Moto GP and SBK Endurance racing Veteran, Peter Linden was tirelessly and incredibly passionately doing the speaking for the fans!

Marc Lutz, the 2013 Stock World Champion and second in SBK’s today, proposed to his girlfriend Sandra, in the pits!!!!!!

The Prizegiving Ceremony goes on after the races are finished! Everyone has a great fun, you see only smiling and laughing faces and everyone has a good word to tell everyone else.

After the Ceremony is over, and since the sun is at its best, we do the Speed Run at the adjacent go kart track.
The fastest guy was Simon Lancaster with an incredible 123 km/h!
Worthy opponents were Bernhard Renner, at 104, running his wet bike (!) and Stefan Polydor, the World Champ at 107!
The crazy Swedish team has prepared a humble, old SB-5 with incredibly long gearing which featured a cut-to-size CocaCola bottle for bodyshell!!!
This bike did 111 km/h, but it did it in the… air! It crashed at that speed and the speed gun caught the top speed in the air!!!
Marcus, of course was doing the speaking!!!

As for me, I had a truly wonderful time, every second of every day there!
And when we were saying our good byes, a lot of us wished this fiesta of racing could last another 2-3 days!!!
My other, boring stuff now… I got home around 7.30 pm, had a quick shower, prepared my suitcases in 2 minutes, took a nap for almost two hours and then the Von Elling family brought pizzas!
At 11pm, I prepared a big cup of coffee (yea, “that” coffee!) and headed for the road. I had 367 km’s to cover to Arlanda Airport.
My flight was to leave at 6am. I reached the airport at 3.45 am, after having slept for 45 minutes at a petrol station parking, when I was about midway there.
Gunther had warned me: If you feel sleepy, get some sleep. I had started seeing… bears in the motorway. I didn’t see any moose, however!!!!

The road for the first 80-90km’s out of Lidkoping (sorry, my keyboard doesn’t support that “o”!) is rather narrow and quite slow, with speed limits ranging from 60 to 80. Oh and a lot of cameras!
On the motorway, though, I noticed that a lot of people were going as high as 130-140, so I carefully followed them! (My GPS recorded a highest speed of 142 only!)

To make a long story short, I was at home at around 11 am. The 3.30 hrs flight seemed to last only 5 minutes! I slept as soon as I sat down on my seat, and woke up when wheels went down, preparing to land!!!!
So, we renewed our rendezvous to Valencia, at the Almusaffes track!

As far as procedures, there were a few slight changes in the rules, discussed with the TM’s, for which the TM’s will inform everyone after we finalize the thoughts.

I wish to give a huge, very huge thank you to the whole Von Elling family, who had me as their own family member in their home, for a whole week.
Also, for providing us with an excellent racing environment, and seeing it from the inside, I could tell how hard it was to achieve everything and keep everyone happy!

Also big thanks to all the LRCK team who also did a great race in themselves for us to have a perfect race!

It was nice to see you all, guys!
We missed the Spanish team, we missed some of the French and English team, but also a couple of certain Austrians, among others!

Let’s hope for seeing all of us, at Valencia, next year!
Aug 13, 2014, 01:15 PM
Great sum-up Stelios. It was really great to finally meet and talk to you. All my best wishes.
/Marcus
Aug 13, 2014, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitham69
A big thanks to all who organised the meeting. I can't fault a thing. it all ran like clock work.

Got there Wednesday lunch time which ment we missed the rain Monday Tuesday. Did a couple of runs in the afternoon before going to the hotal and found corner onto the straight very hard to get right, Had another few runs when we got back to the track thanks for JV and Ken for marshalling and start to get a feel for the place.

Thursday was pre qually for heats and having a slighty less populated track ment I could take the lines I wonted and things started to click abit more. Not much more but a bit. I was shocked at the pace I was running nearly 8 seconds off the top guys. rear end chatter being a big problem for my bike.

Friday with more pre qually in the morning I rubbed the front brake servo cable bare and had a nightmare getting the front wheel shimmed so the brake would not bind. Final got that sorted for my first proper qually run in the afternoon and found myself in 8 place due to bad luck for some of the other nitro guys.

sataday after some advice from the NF team I went bout sorting the rear end chatter, With help of half the UK team and a part from KP designs I got the rear end sorted and the lap times started to drop, not enough but started to drop, The corner onto the straight was my nemesis with a afew words of advice from Bomber I started to use a differnt line and it all started to click abit more and final qually place was 12th.

Sunday: Race day new there was no chance of a B final win with JV and Kims going round with out problems, Morning warm up confirmed this and them a long wait until 1.00pm for my first ever 30 minute race, Would the RBp bike hold togeather long enough not to make a fool of myself, I filled my time being chef starter for the UK guys and apart from a shocking push start in Matts 2nd final all the guys gained at least one place into the first corner, Now it was race time for me.

With Gary as my pit man we moved to rostrum only for the one way bearing to fall apart with 4 minutes to go. With that replace we were flag down and off. Jv got the lead until I hit him off half way round. He caught me up in half a lap I made the choce to let him go up the inside and not race him. his pace was to much for me this weekend and he had some stiff compition for the win form the other teams. I kind of settle into a rythem just waiting for the RBp to fail, to my surprise Gary shouted up for the first pit stop, a quick glance at the score boarded saw me in 3rd place, by the tome the next pit stop came at 20 minutes I dropped down to 4th 3 laps behind JV. The bike ran until the end with out any problems apart my bad riding landing me in 4th place in the B final

The rest of the afternoon I spent watching the A finals. We got most the UK team out for a meal and beer sunday evening and with racing over we all had time to relex and have a dam good laugh,

great weekend great people and hope to make next year in Spain.
Totally agree with all you said. And yes, to complete a 30 min final at a world Championship with a homemade bike, made without the use of any cad software or machine tools is a major achievement in itself. Bloody good job. That bike you made is certainly unique. And incredible driving on your part, you should be proud of your achievement.

JV
Aug 13, 2014, 05:00 PM
Stelios,
thank you for the great reports! Great reading as always!
And apologies for not being able to launch you in the last race, but I see Robert did a good job anyway!
Aug 14, 2014, 07:09 AM
RC TV live at next years worlds track!!!!...cant wait
http://rcracingtv.net/2014/08/efra-1...thursday-live/
Aug 14, 2014, 09:16 AM
To be honest there is now not much I can say that hasn't already been said but this was my first visit to the worlds and after the first couple of days I was ready to pack up and go home. It was pouring with rain, my bike was down in the grass when someone managed to hit it and break a fork leg, I destroyed two speed controllers and a servo so I'd had enough. However a few words of encouragement from the other Brits and a kind offer of a set of forks by Matt and Dave soon had me up and running again. Unfortunately I'd had to resort to my old Tekin speedo which doesn't give the smoothest power delivery, and a 10.5 turn motor which was far too slow so I was a bit below my usual pace which saw me end up in the D final.

After the first couple of days feeling sorry for myself I decided to carry on and make the most of things which turned out to be a good choice. The weather improved, I started to learn the track and how to get the best from the change of parts on my bike and the racing was good. The standard of driving in my heats was not the fastest of the week but everyone was polite both on and off the track with some good clean racing and quick apologies when the odd accident did happen. I'm pleased to report this friendly attitude continued throughout the week and was no different in the finals.

The track is superb with its banked corners and changes in elevation, the pictures really don't do it justice. Likewise the team of people running the event couldn't have been more helpful and made sure the event ran smoothly and to schedule. The atmosphere in the pits was good with friendly chat between competitors of all nationalities, but a special thanks to all the British team who were amazing, all very helpful and supportive of each other which really made the event for me.

Other high points of the week were the evening Karting event where the heavens opened to leave standing water a few inches deep at the apex of most corners and we all got soaked. It took three days to dry my clothes but it was such a fun event. Watching the top finals in each class was a pleasure to see how quick the top drivers really are. Also the Sunday evening meal out with the British team where we could relax with a few drinks and compare notes of the week.

All in all after a bad start I thoroughly enjoyed the event so a massive thank you to everyone involved. I would also say that if you haven't yet been to one of these events, try to get to at least one in your racing career, it really is a whole new experience.

Below are some of the photo's I took through the week.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2u7kqhby8...Qyy87I6oGOjpua