May 03, 2019, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
After sailing report:

Funny thing, I did more damage to the ship between the house and truck than at the pond. HAHA

Started off by breaking one my ship's pump handles while reworking some wiring. Followed by snapping off the main top mast on the way out of the house. (was going to remove it beforehand but decided last minute not to. That didn't work out. : (

After a quick shop repair to that so it was at least semi usable, we were off.

The good news:

-My dad made the trip to help and see it sail. He is one of the main reasons I did this model in the first place. He had always dreamed of an RC Constitution. So happy to help him sorta realize that dream.

-A very light breeze and a beautiful day.

-Truck made it easy to transport.

The bad news:

Issues with the radio...either interference of range issues. Control of the yards and other critical stuff was intermittent and made sailing very difficult.

Had all the gun loads ready(not on ship) but decided not to do cannons on the water today)

all in all, happy I finally got it out on the water and she did sail under her own power!! When stuff was working, it was smooth and nice. Moved very well through the water.

One crewman made the trip. The helmsman.

tim
Last edited by TBowman; May 03, 2019 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 07:03 PM
SCALE Sailor
Wow!
I had odd goings-on with my winches that all turned out to be the plugs not being properly seated - I swapped out a winch thinking something was wrong with it when that was all it was. Years ago I did something like connect the battery backwards and it screwed up a winch - it acted, um, indecisive? - I had to send it in to be repaired.

I hope you track down whatever the issue turns out to be.

Congrats on her first sail, here's to many more!
May 03, 2019, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Jerry. yea it was kinda frustrating. Judging by the wiring below deck(my usual rat
's nest), I'm guessing its getting some interference. Hope its a simple fix. woulda liked to get it out a bit further where there was a bit more breeze.

Even with the few sails up, it move nice when it caught a puff.
May 04, 2019, 01:43 AM
That pond sure looks familiar. I think I've sailed my 1:96 USS Constitution there.
May 04, 2019, 11:09 AM
lovely....sure sits nice in the water...congrats.....!!
May 04, 2019, 11:56 AM
That really looks great! Must feel good to get her in the water again, and moving with the wind. Nice transport vehicle, too. These ships sure are a pleasure. Thanks for the pictures!
May 04, 2019, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. It did feel good to finally sail it. Only have a few short videos because I was short-handed.
May 05, 2019, 02:53 PM
Three cheers for Captain Bowman! Huzzah!!!! Huzzah!!!! Huzzah!!!!

Thanks for the report and photos. I don't think I can move my models without damaging something. Our models endure stresses like vibration and impacts that the real vessels never could. It's great that your Dad was a part of things.
May 06, 2019, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Gammon.
Jul 10, 2019, 07:01 PM
when's the next installment?
Jul 11, 2019, 11:48 AM
We need more of Scorpion's adventures!!
Jul 21, 2019, 09:13 PM
Perhaps the USS Integrity shall happen upon the Scorpion; after she gets out of the shipyard, that is...

(the picture is Justin's when the boat was the USS Reprisal; I bought the boat from Justin a couple months ago)
Last edited by centaur1126; Jul 22, 2019 at 06:58 PM.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Hi Gary

Congratulations!! Will keep an eye on the horizon. : )

Happy sailing.

kind regards
Tim
Aug 14, 2019, 06:54 PM
Thanks, Tim...I'm trying to finish building the tender for my Brig, so I haven't done a thing with it except build a new cradle so I can drag it around the house.
Aug 15, 2019, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
HMS Scorpion has a new commander. LOL Not quite as stoic as the previous one.

Playing around with scanning my own face and head just for fun.

Quick Reply