Feb 24, 2016, 09:47 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Neat report and pictures, thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2016, 10:20 AM
SCALE Sailor
There's a plan to build a full-scale reproduction of the Hornet. I don't think it'll ever get off the ground, much like that group in Philly that wanted to build the frigate United States and the folks in California that wanted to build the sloop Portsmouth.

Naval Heritage Society
Feb 24, 2016, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
The more full-size tall ship/replicas, the better. Can't even imagine what something like that would cost to build, let alone maintain.

Saw that model online a week or so ago. Yes, 1:12 scale. I seem to be having a hard enough time with 1:24...ha ha

tim
Apr 05, 2016, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Ok, I solved my transporting Scorpion dilemma. Adding this to the MV collection.

should do the trick! ha ha Think I could even fit Spartan AND Scorpion in there!!!

best
Tim
Apr 05, 2016, 10:00 PM
SCALE Sailor
Watch that first step - it's a long one.
Apr 06, 2016, 07:19 AM
Money well spent.
Apr 07, 2016, 11:34 AM
sheesh.....................looks brand new..................ya must have friends in high places
Apr 08, 2016, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
looking forward to it

Apr 09, 2016, 08:22 PM
holy smokes ! geez and ta think the 1935 citroen traction I want is hiding somewhere...what a find Tim very nice.
Mar 25, 2017, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Hello everyone,

Well....after a long break from working on HMS Scorpion and being distracted by my other hobbies, I'm feeling energized to start progressing on the build again. I now have my own SLA machine so feeling inspired to get moving on a few of my crew. I haven't dabbled in the 3D figure programs for a long time but have been using a few new ones. Today I modeled a hat for my Royal Marines and tested bringing it form one program to another and then exporting him as a printable file type, SUCCESS! So now I'll start modeling other components to dress the various crew members in, pose different guys as needed and print some crew members.

Here's an image of the Royal Marine hat on a guy. He'll have a uniform next time. ha ha This was proof of concept in the process.

As for the ship. The masts were sort of a stopping point for me because I had to make the decision to redo them or not before continuing ion with rigging. Have made that decision and am looking forward to get moving on them.

Cant believe it's been two years since the ship was in the water.

Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Mar 26, 2017 at 01:00 AM.
Mar 25, 2017, 11:50 PM
fantastic!!!...good shew!..............so nice to have such computer skills......congrats on the sla.....
Mar 26, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Vic!
Mar 26, 2017, 09:12 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On (HD) (4 min 20 sec)
Mar 27, 2017, 11:18 AM
Nice looking royal marine hat! Hmmm…about 15 sailors, a flock of marines, a couple midshipmen, 3-4 officers…Your SLA is gonna be busy…. Your crew should be very impressive, judging by your fine detail work up to now! You also have the possibility of expanding your crew production to fill the needs of other SC&H ships now that Philip has ended ship manufacture at SC&H.

Commander Todd: How do you expect to maintain crew discipline with videos like that!!!
Last edited by beneteau3; Mar 27, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Dec 01, 2017, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
After a long, long break from Scorpion.....

Decided to get back to work on the model starting back on the hull. Have mounted the hammock cranes and while I wait for some materials to complete the netting, I thought I'd experiment with the hammocks themselves. I'll be making all of them by hand and have it down to just under 5 minutes each. Only another 100 or so to go. HA HA These will be folded in half and stowed on the rail.

In order to make them somewhat shapeable, I rolled a pipe cleaner into each one which allows me to bend them and have them hold there shape. giving them an appearance of heavy canvas instead of rolled, light weight material. They are still very light weight and once shaped and positioned, I'll likely glue them together in sections.

Very happy to have the added detail on the rails.

Also printing one of my 18 pounders(different project) just to have as a size comparison. Been wanting to do this for a long time.

While I was getting the last of my carronades made, I had one done in stainless steel. Just to have. Maybe a nice key chain. HA

Hopefully more photos of the hull this weekend with some hammocks.

Good to be back on the project!
Tim

Quick Reply