Aug 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Mini-Review

Review: Hobbywing Quattro Skywalker 20A ESC

There have been a few posts about this new 4 in 1 ESC from Hobbywing. I ordered one as soon as they became available. It arrived last week, and this weekend I built a quad for it.

The package is around 65mm x 70mm. It has battery + & -, as well as 4 signal leads (only one of which has battery & ground) and 4 motor outputs.

The motor outputs are a generous 250mm long, and terminated in 3.5mm sockets. That means you can use it on frames up to 600mm without needing to extend the wires.

Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.hobbywing.com/download_show.asp?id=83

The frame I built is only 450mm, so the motor leads are longer than they should be. I didn't want to shorten them in case I want to reuse it on a future (larger) frame, so I just wrapped them around the arms twice.

I'm using it with NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350KV and 8045 props, 3S 2200mAh, AUW of 950g. Barely warm to the touch after a flight.

The ESC works great, very responsive, no wobbles at all.

So far, I think this is just about the perfect solution for quads. It makes building much quicker, as all the power connections are done for you. It sits neatly on the centre plate, and the FC sits on top of it. I'll definitely be buying more of these for future projects.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Suspended Account
where's teh obligatory video with 8khz whine?
Aug 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire

Wife shoots the videos, and she was busy. Will get one at some point.
Sep 28, 2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post

Wife shoots the videos, and she was busy. Will get one at some point.
Quote:
There have been a few posts about this new 4 in 1 ESC from Hobbywing. I ordered one as soon as they became available. It arrived last week, and this weekend I built a quad for it.

The package is around 65mm x 70mm. It has battery + & -, as well as 4 signal leads (only one of which has battery & ground) and 4 motor outputs.

The motor outputs are a generous 250mm long, and terminated in 3.5mm sockets. That means you can use it on frames up to 600mm without needing to extend the wires.

Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.hobbywing.com/download_show.asp?id=83

The frame I built is only 450mm, so the motor leads are longer than they should be. I didn't want to shorten them in case I want to reuse it on a future (larger) frame, so I just wrapped them around the arms twice.

I'm using it with NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350KV and 8045 props, 3S 2200mAh, AUW of 950g. Barely warm to the touch after a flight.

The ESC works great, very responsive, no wobbles at all.

So far, I think this is just about the perfect solution for quads. It makes building much quicker, as all the power connections are done for you. It sits neatly on the centre plate, and the FC sits on top of it. I'll definitely be buying more of these for future projects.
Hi TS00, I just got my Quattro 20A x A too. Can you show me how to calibrate it using Tx? thanks.
Sep 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydrone View Post
Hi TS00, I just got my Quattro 20A x A too. Can you show me how to calibrate it using Tx? thanks.
Same as any other ESC - just treat it as 4 separate ESCs.
Sep 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
AIMDROIX
can be programed with skywalker card ?
Latest blog entry: Puerto Rico Drone Prix 2016
Sep 29, 2012, 12:42 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
can be programed with skywalker card ?
Yes, and the settings apply to all 4 channels at once.
Sep 29, 2012, 01:43 AM
AIMDROIX
Quote:
Yes, and the settings apply to all 4 channels at once.
now thats very cool !
i have a bad issue with an ebay seller sending me 4 skywalker 20a non original. do this quattro came with the counterfet label ?
Sep 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
now thats very cool !
i have a bad issue with an ebay seller sending me 4 skywalker 20a non original. do this quattro came with the counterfet label ?
What do you mean counterfeit label?
Sep 29, 2012, 09:18 AM
AIMDROIX
Go to hobbywing.com in the right upper cornet is a search box were you put the counterfeit label number.

All hobbywing came with a label you need to scratch to get a numbet.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348928264.911604.jpg
Views: 590
Size: 164.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348928286.588813.jpg
Views: 654
Size: 130.1 KB
Description:
Sep 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
AIMDROIX
Here is

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348928396.859410.jpg
Views: 645
Size: 139.0 KB
Description:
Sep 29, 2012, 09:23 PM

4- in-1

Just received two of these from HiModel and I really like them. They are lighter and the wiring is so much neater. Did ESC calibration fine with HK KKV2 controller. This is just perfect. Now we need more variety in Amp capacity.
Sep 30, 2012, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrascal View Post
Just received two of these from HiModel and I really like them. They are lighter and the wiring is so much neater. Did ESC calibration fine with HK KKV2 controller. This is just perfect. Now we need more variety in Amp capacity.
and the possibilities to flash them with simonk firmware
Sep 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
TS00 i notice in your first post you say you sit the F/C on top of the esc are you finding any problems with interference at all,im using a quattro on a 400 size quad and theres not a lot of room i put the FC under the protection plate and then put the esc on top but its a pain because if i want to adjust the FC i have to remove the esc to get at the fc,putting the fc on top of the esc would be a lot better but wasnt sure if they would interfere with each other.
Sep 30, 2012, 04:10 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by schueyace View Post
TS00 i notice in your first post you say you sit the F/C on top of the esc are you finding any problems with interference at all,im using a quattro on a 400 size quad and theres not a lot of room i put the FC under the protection plate and then put the esc on top but its a pain because if i want to adjust the FC i have to remove the esc to get at the fc,putting the fc on top of the esc would be a lot better but wasnt sure if they would interfere with each other.
No, I haven't experienced any interference. The only potential problem is the mag, but the mag is of limited use anyway, and I don't use it on my quads.