Feb 09, 2013, 05:01 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
JR only lists the 368BB under the micro heading. I don't think there is another kind of 368.

JR Servos
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Servos-Air.aspx
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2013, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
JR only lists the 368BB under the micro heading. I don't think there is another kind of 368.

JR Servos
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Servos-Air.aspx
They really need a better website. See this:
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Def...odID=JRPSDS368
Feb 10, 2013, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertz
I completed my build a week ago and I found the only way to get the flaps to operate without binding is to bend the control rods like so.Attachment 5289711
Finally got around to installing the wing servos. I tried starting with the ailerons first and ran into issues. I get full travel smoothly of the servo when the servo is trying to push out the push rod (up aileron). But in the opposite direction (down aileron, servo pulling pushrod inward) the servo is obviously getting stressed.

Btw, if I remove the clevis from the aileron control horn, the movement is smooth. When I snap it on the aileron horn and try to move the aileron down, I hear the servo buzz but the rod is not hitting the area around the slot in the wing where the rod comes out. What could be happening here?

Just to clarify - are you guys having issues with both ails and flaps or only flaps? Mertz, did you have to do any bending of control rods for the ailerons like the one you pictured for flaps?
Feb 10, 2013, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHorizon
Guys, in the coming weeks we plan to put together a construction video to help with some of the challenges you are facing. ....Pete
Pete, where can I access this video? Many of us would greatly appreciate if you could post the link here...
Feb 10, 2013, 04:34 AM
Electric Glider Nut
the weather finally settled down enough to allow a maiden flight for the Mystique. All went well. Flight report to follow shortly. Oh, for those who are interested, the MVVS performed perfectly. :-)
Feb 10, 2013, 04:39 AM
Airborne whenever I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgg
Finally got around to installing the wing servos. I tried starting with the ailerons first and ran into issues. I get full travel smoothly of the servo when the servo is trying to push out the push rod (up aileron). But in the opposite direction (down aileron, servo pulling pushrod inward) the servo is obviously getting stressed.

Btw, if I remove the clevis from the aileron control horn, the movement is smooth. When I snap it on the aileron horn and try to move the aileron down, I hear the servo buzz but the rod is not hitting the area around the slot in the wing where the rod comes out. What could be happening here?

Just to clarify - are you guys having issues with both ails and flaps or only flaps? Mertz, did you have to do any bending of control rods for the ailerons like the one you pictured for flaps?
Part of the problem is the hinging with the covering that give some resistance
for deployment of the flaps and ailerons, maybe not on all the kits. My ailerons are going smooth up and down, but flap give resistance even at zero degrees
deployment, at least on my left wing. Have to see how the right wing will go.

Pat
Feb 10, 2013, 04:47 AM
Airborne whenever I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timography
the weather finally settled down enough to allow a maiden flight for the Mystique. All went well. Flight report to follow shortly. Oh, for those who are interested, the MVVS performed perfectly. :-)
Nice set of gliders, lovely runway too, will take some months before I can maiden
my Mistique.

Pat
Feb 10, 2013, 08:30 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by timography
Looks good Timography,, I'm jealous of your field ,, glad to hear MVVS motor worked well,, if my E Flite BL 25 doesn't work out too well, ill prob get that ( MVVS) or the Hacker 30xl. So how does the mystique fly compared to the AVIA??
Oh,,, and where exactly did you end up trimming horz stab for first test handlaunch flight??
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Feb 10, 2013, 08:35 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgg

I found that if I mounted the servos ( both ailerons & Flaps ) to the top of the wing and NOT the bottom as suggested in manual, that I got a easier install and a little better angle,, on ailerons I put a curve in pushrod so that it looked like a Banana ,, and flaps I only used an ever so slight curve. Am getting about 55deg travel on flaps, and reccomended throw on ailerons. That's how it worked for me at least. :-)
Last edited by Airman74; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Feb 10, 2013, 08:45 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Got my mystique ALMOST ready,, just got to do final checks and trims, install fuse servo extensions , range check and I'm DONE!! Yeah!! Should be able to maiden at local middle school this afternoon. I'm gona have an audience,,, nothing like a little pressure huh. :-O
Feb 10, 2013, 12:23 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT-T
Nice set of gliders, lovely runway too, will take some months before I can maiden
my Mistique.

Pat
Don't let winter stop you. People regularly fly during the winter in Edmonton, PG, and Smithers. The skies are uncrowded and the landings are soft. If it's any warmer than -20C, and the wind is calm and the sun is shining, it's all good.
Feb 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Don't let winter stop you. People regularly fly during the winter in Edmonton, PG, and Smithers. The skies are uncrowded and the landings are soft. If it's any warmer than -20C, and the wind is calm and the sun is shining, it's all good.
Some of my longest thermal flights have been below freezing on Long Island, in NY. I won't use a hi-start at that temperature for fear of damaging the rubber, but I fly electrics in cold weather all the time.

And, for me, slope soaring is only a winter time activity. I even have a full radio glove so the radio and my hands are warm inside. Works great at 5 degrees F in 15 mph wings on the slope.

I have found that winter golf gloves are outstanding for their feel on the sticks. When it is real cold I put a "hot hands" heat pack in the palm of each glove.

Winter, just another flying season for me.
Feb 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
As soon I get it ready, I will fly it anyway. But right now the access road to the field is not cleared and covered with +2 feet of snow, to high for my truck.
I fly most of my smaller planes all winter long if not lower then -20C.
Lipo's are not very happy then.

Pat
Feb 10, 2013, 05:11 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Headin out to the field for the maiden,, puuuurfect weather !! 69deg very light to non existant wind. :-) wish me luck!! Stay tuned

Jerry in Chico
Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Well my maiden went well, ended up moving the CG a little further forward as I wasn’t happy where it was. Ran thru two 2200maH battery packs; as I expected they were good for 3x 30 second power climbs each. Telemetry was recording that each climb was getting me to 720-770ft, which is perfect for me. No problems with the MVVS and 14x9 prop combo.

A couple of observations. This is a slippery airframe with a bit of weight [inertia] behind it. I let it get away from me in a dive a couple of times and boy it speeds up quickly. Lesson learned – pop the flaps before putting the nose down. This is contrary to how my Avia behaves, but that’s to be expected as the Avia's airframe is only a bit smaller but half the overall weight of the Mystique. It handles wind quite nicely, which is the main reason I got the Mystique; it penetrates really well. With camber applied it will turn quite slowly [and tightly] in a thermal and I ended up flying it mostly with the rudder and using ailerons to keep the bank angle in check. Again, this is contrary to how the Avia likes to be flown. Keep your speed up on approach. I have crow braking set to give about 45 degrees flap and only about 10 degrees up aileron. Plenty of control and aileron authority with those settings, for me anyway.

Overall, I’m really happy with the way it flies. Looks awesome in the air. Definitely different to any of my other e-gliders but again, that’s to be expected.

@Jerry – I followed Peter's recommendation and just set the trim on the horizontal stab so it was centered as best as I could get it. That's it!
Last edited by timography; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply