Apr 23, 2013, 04:10 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle38
My Mystique weights 6.3pounds due to the linkage modification. Will this extra weight harm takeoff and flight characteristics?
6.3 lbs!!!!! Holy cow!!! That doesn't sound right,, stock is 5 lbs , and that's with a pretty big battery. That gives a Wingloading of 13.6oz/sqft
Compared to 11 stock. She should fly noticably faster and float a little less at that weight I would think,, landing speed might be a little higher too
Mine was all stock except for the 10g heavier BL25 motor and it weighed 80oz on the nose
I believe the stock motor and prop produce about 100oz of thrust,, so climbout won't be as brisk either
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2013, 04:16 PM

Ubec

Going to buy the M. Do I need to get a UBEC? If so how do you recommend installing it. I know where it goes but what tricks are there to solder it in line or should I also buy a Deans tap and splice a JST connector to it?
Apr 23, 2013, 05:32 PM
Electric Glider Nut
johnnyrocco:

Ok, well I might have a few questions as I get there......

The only other sailplane with long elevator/rudder lingage, failed on me upon maiden. (elevator linkage failed)

So, it's a paranoia spot for me.

Airman74:Yes!! Since mine crashed as a result of this,, I totally understand the paranoia.
That's why on my 2nd one I think I might try elevator servo in the tail,, unless I'm convinced they solved the issue on this May's batch. :-O
Plus,, maybe its just me,,, but just seems like servo in the tail just ALOT more direct and positive and less prone to failure in general,, all other things being equal,, but I'm sure opinions will vary on this

...something tells me that people aren't flying their Mystiques as nature intended...

I've got one of the first batch of Mystique's with the wobbly elevator control rod, but seriously folks, it isn't an issue if you fly the Mystique like, um.. I dunno, a glider!! It's not a 3m hotliner, nor is it a moulded F3B ship that you can point nose down from 1000ft and then break the sound barrier in a dive.

I've had over 50 flights on mine now. I don't baby it, but I fly it within its intended envelope. I've got full telemetry on board, including a GPS sensor that tells me my relative ground speed at all times. I've briefly exceeded 75mph in a ~moderate~ (i.e.: no more than 45deg nose down) dive many times trying to get back down to the landing spot to make my 10:00 minute ALES flight, no worries at all. The only weakness I have found was a little slop in my Aileron linkages which was causing some flutter at higher speeds but the elevator linkage has been rock solid.

Rule of thumb, with any built up wing, large electric sailplane is, you wanna go vertical in a dive? Sure. Just put the flaps/crow out first or you're asking for trouble, as Airman74 can attest to. Finding and then exceeding terminal velocity is a and once you are there it's too late (usually) to do anything about it except grab a bag and go pick up the pieces... just sayin'...

I'm done and going to run for cover now...
Last edited by timography; Apr 23, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Apr 23, 2013, 05:51 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
My Mystique weights 6.3pounds due to the linkage modification. Will this extra weight harm takeoff and flight characteristics?
The target weight is 80 ounces. you are over 100 ounces. I don't think that can be right.

What did you use to reinforce the linkage? Lead?

Weigh it again. Could it be 5.3 pounds? That is 84 ounces. A bit porky but it should fly fine.
Apr 23, 2013, 06:48 PM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timography
johnnyrocco:

The only other sailplane with long elevator/rudder lingage, failed on me upon maiden. (elevator linkage failed)

Airman74:Yes!! Since mine crashed as a result of this,, I totally understand the paranoia.
That's why on my 2nd one I think I might try elevator servo in the tail,, unless I'm convinced they solved the issue on this May's batch. :-O
Plus,, maybe its just me,,, but just seems like servo in the tail just ALOT more direct and positive and less prone to failure in general,, all other things being equal,, but I'm sure opinions will vary on this

...something tells me that people aren't flying their Mystiques as nature intended...

I've got one of the first batch of Mystique's with the wobbly elevator control rod, but seriously folks, it isn't an issue if you fly the Mystique like, um.. I dunno, a glider!! It's not a 3m hotliner, nor is it a moulded F3B ship that you can point nose down from 1000ft and then break the sound barrier in a dive.

I've had over 50 flights on mine now. I don't baby it, but I fly it within its intended envelope. I've got full telemetry on board, including a GPS sensor that tells me my relative ground speed at all times. I've briefly exceeded 75mph in a ~moderate~ (i.e.: no more than 45deg nose down) dive many times trying to get back down to the landing spot to make my 10:00 minute ALES flight, no worries at all. The only weakness I have found was a little slop in my Aileron linkages which was causing some flutter at higher speeds but the elevator linkage has been rock solid.

Rule of thumb, with any built up wing, large electric sailplane is, you wanna go vertical in a dive? Sure. Just put the flaps/crow out first or you're asking for trouble, as Airman74 can attest to. Finding and then exceeding terminal velocity is a and once you are there it's too late (usually) to do anything about it except grab a bag and go pick up the pieces... just sayin'...

Nature intended?

Sure, next you'll be telling me who I can sleep with.

I'll go run and hide now.
Apr 23, 2013, 06:58 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by timography
johnnyrocco:

When I first started the dive I wasn't going that fast either,, but then NO elevator response period,, and there really shouldn't be ANY slop in the elevator linkage,, and the people who are geting are experiencing the pushrod just popping completely to the side which results in 0 elevator control at that point. Apparently some planes experiencing and some not. I really don't think ANY kind of plane should be doing that,, do you??? And why shouldn't I be able to point her straight down??? If I have to baby her that much then she's not worthwhile,, seriously. ;-)
Also nature didn't INTEND anything for this plane,, its a man made object ;-O
And its also quite common for people to change certain things about an ARF if it doesn't seem quite right.did you see the pics of some of the pics of the pushrod bowing out ??? Do you think NATURE intended that??
And one more thing,, if you do have a wobbly elevator push rod as you say,, I really don't think its something you should just laugh off,, cause it tends to suddenly COMPLETLY give at some certain point. But that's up to you. ;-)
Last edited by Airman74; Apr 23, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Apr 23, 2013, 08:05 PM
I don't care what you fly or how you fly it. Flying with an unsecured pushrod is simply a crash waiting to happen. My preference for stabilators is a cable in tube setup with said tube glued for its entire length.
Apr 23, 2013, 08:12 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
...And why shouldn't I be able to point her straight down??? If I have to baby her that much then she's not worthwhile,, seriously. ;-)...
Thank you for confirming my point. God Bless Americans.
Apr 23, 2013, 09:39 PM
I am installing the E-Flite 25. In the manual they show a metal plate?? On the front side of the nose ring. There wasn't one in the kit was there supposed to be? What are most of you using?
Apr 24, 2013, 05:41 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
After reversing the shaft on the Power 25 (pushing it through to the other side), I mounted it directly to the pre-installed firewall and followed with the optional spinner which I bought separately. Was easy once the motor shaft was reversed (another post). Hope this helps. Dana
Apr 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
The target weight is 80 ounces. you are over 100 ounces. I don't think that can be right.

What did you use to reinforce the linkage? Lead?

Weigh it again. Could it be 5.3 pounds? That is 84 ounces. A bit porky but it should fly fine.
My Rudder Linkage was so bad I had to put a long carbon rod from the fin to the middle ply plate. My linkages are solid but the added weight is a concern.
Apr 24, 2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
My Rudder Linkage was so bad I had to put a long carbon rod from the fin to the middle ply plate. My linkages are solid but the added weight is a concern.
Any added weight is a concern but hopefully you only added a few grams in the tail which will add about 3 times the grams in the nose. Still, the impact should be minor overall.
Apr 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
You down with EPP?
Is this quote from Pete in which folks are assuming the elevator/rudder linkage issue will be fixed in the May 8 order?

"Unfortunately the recent shipment was produced and on the water before this was discovered. Future shipments should be better."
Apr 24, 2013, 01:23 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Any added weight is a concern but hopefully you only added a few grams in the tail which will add about 3 times the grams in the nose. Still, the impact should be minor overall.
After adding the nylon washer to bellcrank, 2 CF tubes and Gorilla Glue, mine is no doubt that much heavier than stock, how much I can't tell you; what I can say is that it performs as expected for what it is. While I suspect that the added weight has increased the amount of energy to be managed during landing, I have countered this with a true butterfly/crow mix which helps keep the speed down for safe descents and landings. Perhaps The 3S 3300 could be replaced with a 2200 to reduce weight; have not tried that yet as I just got the desired CG and overall trim squared away. Not bad for the first 8 flights, room to improve?
Apr 24, 2013, 02:53 PM
Always room to improve, but I find most improvements need to be focused on the pilot. I keep trying.

Quick Reply