Feb 09, 2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
Lancer31, I agree with the springs being more cosmetic than functional and that the main gear/uc suspenion will be from the wire itself.

That said, have you figured out a way to install the orange strut covers so that they can flex with the lg/uc and not just pop off? I've flown without them because of being unsure how to mount without them popping off on every landing....

Neil
I concur with KaiWE. The rubberyness & stickiness of UHU-Por makes it the obvious choice for the strut covers.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2013, 03:06 PM

saturday evening 7.00pm

Quote:
gordynic,

I swear I had echoed essentially just about all the same concerns you mention when I first got her and prior to building/flying, but I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised at how well the push rods and connectors work. Same with the controls at the end of the ailerons. But after attaching these together, seems to work just fine. I can't see any adverse/excessive play and in the air she seems just fine in terms of input and maneuverability.

I did however adjust the servo horn on the flaps as I didn't feel like it moved enough. I've got about 60° of deflection which is more like brakes now. So maybe I shouldn't have needed to adjust them at at all.

All said, I encourage you to maiden as it came, then reassess. I think this would also help potential buyers see your before and after thoughts.

One of the lightest wing loadings in my fleet.

Regardless, love the input, thoughts and pics and look forward to see all the mods you end up doing!

Curious to see if yours is tail heavy as well- at the 52mm CG location.

~Cheers,

Neil
thank for th advice smokin, know what, I am just sticking it together as it comes , see how well it flies and if it needs mods, then I'll go ahead and do them. Its together now, and does't she look sweet. a few problems getting the motor working (tuned to my radio) but all seems to now be in order........ now, if the rain stops, and he snow doesn't arrive on sunday, and my daughter decides not to visit with the kids I may jus get a flight in.
Feb 09, 2013, 07:11 PM
advice please, there are two short pieces of carbon fibre ....anyone know where they go. the instructions don't show

thanks in advance
Feb 09, 2013, 08:59 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
If you are talking about the rods about 50mm in length; they are cosmetic- fake antenna thingies. One on the main wing- right side IIRC, and the other in leading edge of vertical stab. You'll see the holes to insert for each. I've left mine off.

Neil
Last edited by Seahawk One; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Feb 10, 2013, 05:04 AM
Ah, yes..... thanks..... flying a plane with pointy thing sticking out, maybe not
Feb 10, 2013, 11:38 AM

The one on the right wing is the pitot tube mast.

I cut a Q-tip in two, took all the cotton off, and used that rolled paper, instead of the carbon rods. Mainly because they are white, instead of black, and so more realistic, and they won't hurt anything, when I bump them into something!
Feb 11, 2013, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynic View Post
Ah, yes..... thanks..... flying a plane with pointy thing sticking out, maybe not
Putting a pointed CF-tubes on a bunch of micro-coax-helis and hunt ballons in a gym is fun though.
Not to mention "Vapor-Darts".

Anyway, no Wilga for me.
My gf found it so ugly, it's the first plane she explicitly me from buying.
(The fact that several finished but unmaidened projects are piling up may be an other factor.)
Feb 11, 2013, 08:21 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
If you wanted the Wilga for its flying characteristics, not for it looks - you could try the Yak-12, almost identical behavior, perhaps even a tad nicer due to less flex in the wings (4 struts keeps it flat all the time)
Feb 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
thanks for the heads up guys, I left it as it came out the box and it flew great minor problem as I only had one lipo as the others haven't arrived yetand it was an 800 e sky still it flew for about eight minutes .the undercart plastic came out as I landed I used the glue supplied with the kit to re-fit it, I think its probably better to have it a bit easier to come of without damaging the fuselage... it needs a couple of clicks of down when the flaps are lowered , and the rudder and aileron need mixed a bit , but no great dramas, just a nice little park flyer
Feb 17, 2013, 01:02 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
gordynic,

Glade to hear the maiden was a success! She is a very capable plane with scale duties in mind. When my second arrives, I think I will replace the stock wing spars with longer carbon flat spars.

You mentioned the undercart plastic came out? Do you mean the support you slide the metal wire in to?
Feb 17, 2013, 01:04 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
For those still with snow, an intriguing mod to consider!?!

Feb 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
gordynic,

Glade to hear the maiden was a success! She is a very capable plane with scale duties in mind. When my second arrives, I think I will replace the stock wing spars with longer carbon flat spars.

You mentioned the undercart plastic came out? Do you mean the support you slide the metal wire in to?
yes , the plastic "slot"
Feb 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
managed to get a couple of shots downloaded from my maiden flights, wife says that it's not often I'm seen smiling these days
flew straight out the box.. now have two new 1000Mah lipos so looking forward to some nice weather in the near future
Feb 23, 2013, 12:59 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
nice story! Thanks for sharing and keep smiling for sure!!
Feb 23, 2013, 04:59 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
I'm sure the Wilga will keep you smiling, gordynic - I must have done over 100 flights with mine now, and it is still as fun as the first time

I have been flying 3-5 battteries almost every morning before work since I got her - gives me energy to cope with the everyday stress I have added nav lights, and the sight of a Wilga doing a slow approach with full flaps with lights at dawn is really cool!

Quick Reply