Hi gang!

This is the continuation of the hugely popular thread started here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...42#post1481542

Carry on, gents

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2003, 02:38 PM
Flight Test Report:

Conditions were very windy, 20-30 mph gusts. Location was a hay field w/ grass about 12" high.

Motor is a PJS 3D 550
E-tec 1200 3S1P LiPo's
Castle Creation Phoenix 10 Speed Controller
Flying wt: 14.5 oz. (too much glue)
Shortened Tail Feathers & removed tape to compensate for the weight. Worked OK!
CG 1-1/2 to 2" behind spar.

Controls, all I could get using:
4-Hitec HS-55 servos (1 per wing)
Elevator and Flaps mixed 80%
Hitec Electron 6 Receiver
1/16" landing gear using 2" MPI Indoor Light Wheels
w/ Tygon fuel tubing as retainers
Graupner 3668 control horns glued in w/ Marine Goop

Hand launched, or should I say rocketed, with minor adjustments to trim. Wind played havoc but this plane shined like a diamond. Had a crowd of 5 watching and ooooohing. Crashed 5-6 times, cartwheels & straight in with minor damage, nothing we didn't fly away from. She would hover @ 3/4 throttle. Loops in a 3-4' dia. circle. Rudder will loop the plane from a knife edge in about a 10' circle. Flared great for landings! She flew like a dream and handled very stable, even in the wind! Had more control than I knew what to do with. Oh well, crashes didn't hurt!
Last edited by pappatop; Nov 22, 2003 at 02:51 PM.
Nov 22, 2003, 02:48 PM
Here's what she looks like after the flying!
Nov 22, 2003, 03:24 PM
Pappatop,

In your test flights, did you try any high speed low level passes with a quick pull-out or something where you were pulling lots of Gs. The reason I ask is I wonder how the wings and fus held up to G forces with a fast change of direction at high speed. Also, at straight out high speed does it tend to flutter or vibrate?
Nov 22, 2003, 03:25 PM
COOOOOL!!!!
Nov 22, 2003, 03:31 PM
Permanently Banned
Gotta get me one toooo!

Wonder how it will do with an Axi 2808/24?

Larry
Nov 22, 2003, 03:44 PM
Full throttle calculates about 24-30 mph. She was stable as a rock at full throttle!

goin' to the park to fly again! HeHeHe!
Nov 22, 2003, 03:55 PM
Foam Flyer
Great report

Glenn
Nov 22, 2003, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on job well done Pappatop!

So after flying the plane what changes or improvements do you have in mind if any, before going into production?
Nov 22, 2003, 04:24 PM
Landing gear too flimsy! Don't fly on concrete, road rash very unforgiving!
Nov 22, 2003, 05:24 PM
GW
GW
Shula Who??

Mark Roberts delivers!!!

Got my kit in the mail today. One word. AWESOME!!!
This guy can cut some foam. Beautiful work!!
I build several pattern planes for folks all year long, and deal with alot of Foam for pattern wings, I dont know squat about EPP, but I know good foam cutting, and this my friends is nice foam work.

Even included a parts list, checked off by hand so as not to forget anything in packaging.

Kudos Mark.

Anyone interested in a photo buildup of Marks kit?
The mods may want a different thread started as this one is getting long. I may ask them before I start it if anyone is interested.

Martin Hunter?? New thread, or do it in this thread ? It will be several photos and comments i would think.

I dont think anyone who has ordered will be the least bit disappointed in the kit.

Later
GW

Gerald
Last edited by gw-ezone; Nov 22, 2003 at 05:27 PM.
Nov 22, 2003, 05:40 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman

Mark must have brought it himself!

I just got home from work and found the Mark Roberts kit in my mailbox!

I can't believe it got to Michigan so soon.

Thanks Mark.

I think a thread for beta testing this plane should be started.

How about calling it "Mark Roberts Southern X2"

Jerry
Nov 22, 2003, 06:23 PM
Congratulations, Mr. pappatop!
I as well as you am excited!
Landing gear needs to be reinforced.
The photograph of my landing gear.
Nov 22, 2003, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GenesisCreation
Congratulations on job well done Pappatop!

So after flying the plane what changes or improvements do you have in mind if any, before going into production?
A number of changes.

The original with the long tail moment has too short a nose. I will move the wing back on the fuse to allow for a better balance. The control surfaces are too big, way more than needed. I & my son both fly 3D profiles, and though this plane isn't overly sensitive in it's current state, I had cut the elevator in half and cut 3" off the fuse bringing the hinge point of the rudder even with the elevator hinge point.

I originally did it to shed tail weight but found the elevator more than adequate to 3D and it will turn a 3-4' dia. loop with flaps mixed in!

That's alot of elevator. I still need to test without flaps and see if it's ok, right now is sooo windy! Maybe tomorrow it'll die down.

This thing slow rolls like a dream. Rudder is cut way down also and it will do a loop out of a knife edge about 10' dia.

That's alot of rudder. It also doesnt need all the tape either. It's plenty rigid with the carbon rods. I did have to wrap one place on the rudder vertically to stabilize it!
Nov 22, 2003, 06:45 PM
I have a Hacker B20 12L with 4:1 gear box and a Castle Pheonix 25 esc. How will this plane fly with this combo? I have nickle metal packs for this combo, which would be heavy for this plane. Are the lithiums able to deliver enough juice for the hacker? I recorded 16A max with an apc 11x4.7 prop. I wonder how the weight compares between the two motor combos.

Tyler

Quick Reply