ASW 28 Hobby King - RC Groups
Aug 19, 2012, 10:56 AM
Discussion

ASW 28 Hobby King

Hi all,

I recently bought the ASW28, (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Cockpit.html),

I finished it all and ready to fly, however the flying weight is up at 2300 grams up about 900 grams from the recommended flying weight . I was at 1800 grams until I had to add weight to get the CG at 55mm from the LE...

Anyone else have any figures for the ASW? By the way I am only going to slope soar...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2012, 11:36 AM

asw picture

here is a picture
Aug 26, 2012, 06:37 PM
I was so bad luck that I got a defected plane from HobbyKing.

HobbyKing ASW 28 Electric Glider RC Defect problem frame misalign (2 min 2 sec)
Aug 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
You get what you pay for, unfortunately. Purchasing from HK and other China outlets, you "pays your money and takes your chances" ...
Aug 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
I agree with getting what you pay for, but this seems to be a known issue for some times. Cheap products should mean bad quality, unreliable or bad performance, but should not be defective and malfunctions.

Like buying a bottle of milk which is already expired at the store, but the store is still selling it.

HobbyKing elects to ignoring it and continues to sell it. The worst is that HobbyKing ignores the responsibility of that.
Aug 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby
I was so bad luck that I got a defected plane from HobbyKing.
Different manufacturer than OP's model.

I have one coming this week,I hope that I get lucky with a good one.

I assume you needed to add 500g to the nose? Do you remember what the weight was before you added any electronics?
Aug 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
You purchased an awesome plane!
People are correct in that that there are sometimes some QC issues with the chinese made stuff. However, mine had a few alignment issues and flew just fine.
Here's my video review:
Hobby King FlyFly ASW 28 RC Glider Sailplane (4 min 29 sec)

Regarding your question, the tail on the ASW 28 is pretty heavy and the short nose requires extra weight to get the CG right. Thus, not a great candidate for thermaling. Put a powerpod on it and turn it into a motor glider. It still glides quite nicely and although I didn't try it on a slope I think it would do quite well with moderate wind.
It ended it's career in a tree not long ago but I do love this glider!
Aug 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Fight On!
I bought a HK Salto, then I swore I would never buy another cheap HK sailplane.
Oct 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Mario Alvarez. I hope you write some review in HK site so that other won't buy them.
Oct 14, 2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete914
You purchased an awesome plane!
People are correct in that that there are sometimes some QC issues with the chinese made stuff. However, mine had a few alignment issues and flew just fine.
Here's my video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YnA5...2&feature=plcp

Regarding your question, the tail on the ASW 28 is pretty heavy and the short nose requires extra weight to get the CG right. Thus, not a great candidate for thermaling. Put a powerpod on it and turn it into a motor glider. It still glides quite nicely and although I didn't try it on a slope I think it would do quite well with moderate wind.
It ended it's career in a tree not long ago but I do love this glider!
HobbyKing should take the responsibility for the bad QC, because we pay HobbyKing as a middle man. We pay HobbyKing to take the risks.
May 13, 2016, 01:26 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Does anyone here have the cockpit and or pilot to this glider? Please pm me

DJ
Nov 10, 2017, 07:59 PM
rigibahn

Hobbyking ASW 28 qualety problems

Got my ASW 28 yesterday and finished it today.
I bought this one since the ASW Volantex and the HK version are identical.
-First problem i observed was that the canopy insert with pilot was totally deformed and therefore on many places the black paint pealed off.
-Next problem i found when i installed the folding propeller, While installinf the prop the aluminum Collette just broke in two parts. (see Picture) The motor shaft has a 4mm diameter and the outside of the Colette has a M6 threaded shaft. That leaves just 0.5mm (7/32") wall thickness which is totally undersized for that application. luckily i own a lathe and i could make my own steel prop adapter with a finer thread that leaves 0.75mm wall thickness. (see Picture) If you are not really careful the prop might fall of and hits you, I'm sure you can image how much you get hurt with that one.
-Interesting HK list a motor 4018-850kv but in my plane there is a B4023 KV850 . Maybe that explains the screw up of the Propeller adapter.
-Next problem i found when i installed the main wings and testing the ailerons. The Right aileron went crazy making all kind of uncontrolled movements. Turns out that the Y harness has double crimped wires. the servo plugs are not really made to hold two wires. Instead of just bare wire some of the insulation was crimped to which resulted in a bad contact.
-Next i had to learn that the decorative covers are not complete die cut and several times the film teared in half. In that decorative foil there are several parts to cover the servo wires on the main wings. The color of this wire cover is so off that it looks really ugly. In addition the color on that foil is so thin that you still can see the wires once it is installed. Since i care how my plane looks i tossed this covers and made my own which match much better in color.
- The Manual is not up to date incomplete and bad like any Chinese manual. Reading it makes me feel that someone created a manual just that there is one to ad to the box. In this particular manual i like the statement on page 1. It says "You must assemble the model according to the instructions" What a joke you never get it done if you do it like the manual says.
The manual lists a flying weight of 1050g but when i way mine i get 1360g and that without any Lipo in it. So much about being truthful to your customers is shows how little they care.
So far I have just assembled the glider i wonder how it will fly. i will ad to this post as soon i had the chance to maiden this glider.
Last edited by PJ PJ PJ; Nov 10, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:16 PM
Hi
Hope the model flys well after all the problems you are having. Some how you have missed the metric / imperial conversion 0.5mm is not 7/32 0.5mm = approx 0.020 inches. Must be just a slip of the typing with all the real problems you are having.

Cheer John Quigley
Nov 15, 2017, 04:54 PM
Voc
They're a great glider, awsome sloper
HobbyKing ASW 28 2540mm slope soaring ASW28 (2 min 45 sec)
Nov 16, 2017, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0cnorth
They're a great glider, awsome sloper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-7KWZwhJw
Very nice piloting skills which show the planes ability off nicely too
BTW, there's quite a lot about this plane on the electric sailplane section under Lanyu , Modster thread , just in case you were unaware of it
(bit confusing since Volantex and Hobbyking also supply it)