New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Okay Gene... Time to get back at it!

Winds were too strong to fly Micro RC here so I had to fly my D.VII in ROF took out 5 Sopwith's, 3 Tripes & 2 Snipes

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Okay Gene... Time to get back at it!
Yep - storm mop-up is complete, but, cleaning the boat inspired me to catch some bait -- so I go fishing today....

I did get some work done on the cowl - turned a foam form, covered it with several layers of light fibercloth using water based polyurethane, and topped it off with Freddie's Secret Sauce . Came out OK, so used it to make a vac-form copy for your "kit".

But .... decided to make one better, so I cut a new blank using my hot wire cutter, mounted it to the Dremel and turned a much nicer form out of blue foam (nicely dense so I don't think I'll need Freddie's sauce before vac-forming it).

Quote:
... had to fly my D.VII in ROF took out 5 Sopwith's, 3 Tripes & 2 Snipes
Were you making machine-gun sounds while wearing your leather helmet and scarf?

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 07, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by glewis
Or current resident
Nice cowl.
Did you catch any fish?
Glenn
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
Very nice work on the DV's cowl. Yeah, blue construction foam is great for fine sanding and using as a mold. I just use 5 min. epoxy coating on the outside applied with my finger that hardens the mold enough to vac form over it.

Oh, yeah I was in my glory untill the Boss, Ann came down and gave me grief as it was after 10:00 and I had the sound of to guns going (You know unlimited ammo)

Pete
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Nice cowl.
Did you catch any fish?
Too windy to go out in the bay, so I fished off the dock (canal) - got a couple of small Redfish, some croakers, a juvenile silver trout, a Gafftopsail catfish, and the usual trash like pinfish. Using cut bait, that's what I expected.

As for the cowl, I should have coated it per Pete's suggestion 'cause when I vac-formed over the the blue foam, it shrunk and distorted from the heated plastic sheet. Back to the drawing board - I'll try 5Min Epoxy coating.

Gene
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by glewis
Or current resident
Nice redfish. Fry that guy up and make a nice samich. Fry up some hushpuppies too and wash 'em down with a Corona with lime.... Ahh,.... Don't get no better than that!

I didn't think the bare foam would work, but it might have and you would be onto something...
I haven't had much luck with foam plugs, they seem to distort under pressure even with two layers of 1/2oz glass/epoxy. I used a urethane foam that was very easy to shape, maybe the blue foam you used will be better.
Glenn
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hey Gene too bad about your mold it looked like it almost got you a good cowl.

I've done a ton of canopies from epoxy coated Depron foam and blue foam you have to put a nice smooth layer all round even some under the bottom as I usually raise the mold up to ensure the vac goes to the bottom.

I'm in Lexington or I'd show you some mold pic's.

Pete
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
I've done a ton of canopies....
As have I, but I'm using a newly built "heavy-duty" vac-former, plus I'm playing with .02 plastic vice my usual .01 for canopies. Takes more heat and more pull for that thickness of plastic - .015 may be the right compromise.

War Eagle!

Gene K
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
Yes, you're right I pretty much only use .010-.015.

Hey VMI won today 24-17

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:45 AM
Wanted to help Gene finish this D.VIII so I started a set of MG's for his bird and a set for myself. Jackets were made by our friend Jin.

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Wanted to help Gene finish this D.VIII
Thanks, Pete - those look great!

I've had too many distractions this week to get much done. I did do two good cowls - abandoned the Vac-form and went back to basics: used Depron to build up the cowl, sanded to shape, and laid on a couple of layers of lightweight fibercloth applied with Freddie's Secret Sauce.

Just need to add some sector lines to the outer cowl, add a band at the rear, add some 3D relief to the front, and paint. I've spent way too much time on the cowl, but enjoyed the side excursions.

Gene K
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by TedD60
I've gone searching for "Freddies Special sauce" but haven't found a thread. Can you suggest one. Also, are you aware of a thread with instructions on vacuum forming?

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
wow ! thse cowls look great... What about the clear plastic one? Just incase you want a spinning motor.

Well to have a good looking bird as we all know it's quality time spent but I hear ya.

What's the inside diameter?

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
I've gone searching for "Freddies Special sauce" but haven't found a thread.
Clink on the link in post #47 above.

Quote:
Also, are you aware of a thread with instructions on vacuum forming?
I haven't searched RCGroups, but there's certainly a lot you can access through Google - for example these.

Use search terms like vac form, vacuum forming, thermoforming, etc.

Here's a link to a hobby vac former: http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Articles/vacuform.htm . Radio Shack has some perf boards and experiment boxes that may suit your needs.

And a search of RCGroups will yield results like this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3179

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300806

You'll have fun until your wife kicks you out of the kitchen.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jul 07, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
Quote:
What about the clear plastic one? Just incase you want a spinning motor.
When I get some .015 plastic, I'll have another go vac forming with blue foam/Saran Wrap/fibercloth. The .010 is too weak without a backing, and the .020 is too thick for my small vac former.

Quote:
What's the inside diameter?
44mm

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Corrected DIAMETER - vice radius)