Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr
Paul is also right, initially I had way too much on all throws which threw the plane right & left and while trying to correct over did it ....
Thanks for the kind words Paul and Pete!

I sure agree with Paul concerning the excessive throws, especially that huge amount of aileron-rudder interconnect. I think I'd turn that mix down a lot (to -20%), then set up low rates (A-60, E-70, R-70), and dial in some healthy expo (A-50, E-30, R-15) ... for starters.

Sounds like that Razor is currently tuned like a fine German sports car vice a dump truck that the above settings should make it!

Gene K
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
You're right on it, those were almost the exact setting I've tried except the expo ones. I'll give that a shot then I can also try just the ailerons then just rudder and see how it goes. I may have to employ Paul the Canadian for some DX-7 expo input.

Thanks,

Pete
Nov 28, 2012, 10:35 PM
after making and flying a few flat winged german WWI planes, I've found that my experience is that the ailerons are really only there to straighten the plane back up right. I fly mostly rudder, then if the plane doesn't pull out of the turn very well , I give it a slight correction with the ailerons.

Doesn't take much aileron throw to roll the short nosed little devils too much, and then they don't recover easily.

these planes did not fly easy. they were a handful in real life.

My little Dr.1 152/17 is fun to fly but has many of the characteristics that I've read that the real plane has, pitchy, rolls into a spiral if not careful, and a bit hard to keep on the horizon.

But that's why I make them scale, not modified. I learn more about the planes and enjoy the differences.
Nov 29, 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks dcw I hear you. I will try flying it with just the rudder. I have the ailerons mixed with the rudder.

My DR-I was hard to fly at first too as it only has rudder, it kept side slipping into turns. I simply cut the ailerons and added a tad of up on the starboard side and that was it she flys great. It's those pesky litlle things that we sometimes miss and others see. Speedy01 suggested that and it worked.

Thanks,

Pete
Dec 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
I ended up making an unbercambered wing for this DVIII it now flys great. I'm still not sure why I could not get it to fly right with the scale full wing.

I'm in the middle of a new house move so I thought I'd get a last picture of my micro WWI birds at the aerodrome where these birds were made or modded.
Time to box them all up as well as all my WWII micros and other RC birds

Pete
Dec 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
WOW,that"s alot of planes there.Looks to me you have almost the entire number of planes that were ever built,flew,flought and crashed in WWI .
Dec 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr
I thought I'd get a last picture of my micro WWI birds at the aerodrome where these birds were made or modded.
Wow squared!

Gene K
Dec 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
Just got back from some flying behind the Gov Ctr Paul was a tad too windy though so I had only one flight on the DVIII, DVII and the SE5a.

Hope you guys had a great day, now time to pack again or procrastinate some more...

Pete
Feb 02, 2013, 06:59 PM
Wow! you Are a certifiable Nutter.
But those models are simply outstanding.
Wish I had a couple
Feb 02, 2013, 11:46 PM
-=BS=-
A couple? I want them all!

Where are the flight videos?
My D8 was an abysmal failure I think I didn't have enough wing on it (used a reshaped PZ mustang wing)

That collection needs a DH2
Last edited by BlazingStar; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Feb 03, 2013, 08:31 AM
Blaz,

Somewhere there's some video of the DVIII, I'll look around. Gene made a great scale full wing with ailerons but I could not get it to fly right so I made an undercambered wing.

Here's a video:
HDV 0178 (1 min 13 sec)

It's not an easy plane to fly and I have to be on it until I get use to it then I like how it flys and lands.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Feb 03, 2013, 04:51 PM
-=BS=-
Thanks For the video.
My version did not want to fly. I'm sure it was the wing I chose. Maybe I'll revisit it... I'd like to have a wwi fleet like yours!

Quick Reply