Nov 22, 2003, 11:58 AM
Thread OP

A Pete Rake 400 size SE5a

Another favourite gets the Pete Rake treatment, drawn up into a easy to follow plan without complications yet retaining that air of scale like outline.
Please remember I'm fairly new to this lark with each build being that next step forward for me.

Righty-ho, lets get down to it.

Plan; the usual Pete job, no nasty surprises easy to follow, eyes down look in.

I went with tradition and started off with the wings first.

Images following
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2003, 12:22 PM
Thread OP

image1

Setting up for wing assembly
Nov 22, 2003, 12:24 PM
Thread OP

ribs a plenty

ribs all cut
Last edited by sparkinwheels; Nov 22, 2003 at 12:38 PM.
Nov 22, 2003, 12:34 PM
Thread OP

root ribs lower wing

I built the lower wings as one complete wing then side cut the root ribs on the inside over the back spar. this allowed for bending the rear outwards for root te shape, as seen in the image attached.

The wings were just joined by the over long spars so once all was dry lift off the plan and saw the spars at the centre. Its then down to trimming,sanding and planing but above all else I have two mirrored wing panels.
Nov 22, 2003, 12:37 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage

Formers cutting
Nov 22, 2003, 12:44 PM
Thread OP

while at the formers

Cutting an extra former I set to with a mind to get some sort of cockpit detail, probably off size but it were fun and I only had to take 2 days at it, ( loss of feeling in my fingers!).
Nov 22, 2003, 12:48 PM
Thread OP

tail seat

More bits before starting on the fuselage. This time the tail seat, I like to do it like this cause it makes for an easier matching seating slot.
Nov 22, 2003, 01:25 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
So far looks great! Keep the photos coming!
Nov 22, 2003, 02:25 PM
Thread OP

fuselage

Now on the rear of fuselage, I prefer to build one then fold over the plastic so that I can build number 2 directly over No.1. If you catch waht I means.
Nov 22, 2003, 02:40 PM
Thread OP

Interval for reflection

Before I go on with other bits and bobs, thought I'd better decide upon which motor/gearbox combo I was going to use. I'm lucky in that I've a number of choices to hand since helping certain retailers out with odd things. They show appreciation with a gift. This I mention only because with the differing motor combos I have to plan ahead regards motor mounting.

My decision is to go for the cheapest and easiest option. A Jamara 400 coupled to an 'Irvine' (clockwork: my nickname for it) gearbox, these are ball raced come with a prop adaptor, allen key and all 3 motor pinions so that you can swap between all 3 ratios of 2:1, 2.5:1 and 3:1, all this for 9.00. I must admit I do tend to point out their value and usefulness when I'm with Ali at UK shows. But can you blame me at this price and value?
The one down side to them is that they are noisy and the casing screws should be undone and have some temp locktite added to the threads before use, a simple task and as long as they are correctly set up they supply a fantastic service. Attached is image of the motor fitted wit hgearbox and the rear of the motor is pushed into the mount tube.
Nov 22, 2003, 05:38 PM
John,
Nice job mate, I agree with Allan, keep those photos coming. Just keep a wary eye out for Ian's DVII. I've heard he takes no prisoners.

Before anyone asks, yes, this is the scaled down version of the model Ian is building. John was desperate for an SE5A, and that seemed a good way around the problem.

As regards John, he is indeed quite new to scale modelling but loving every minute of it. In the few months I've known him, his building, and what he considers himself capable of building, has improved many fold.
He's pretty good at drinking coffee and eating cake too.

John again,
Yes mate, I think the idea of wrapping the struts with strips of baby wipe is an excellent idea. Now, if you chose a used baby wipe, it would even be the right colour - nearly!!!!

Pete
Nov 22, 2003, 06:09 PM
Thread OP

Baby wipes

Pete, bear in mind that many shows do not have washing facilities although there is always a fresh water supply available for the hardened wash in cold water types. Baby wipes are commonly used by camping showgoers and some traders who don't have the luxury of Hot running water.

See I'm making use of my down time by making it uploading time!
I digress, ooops.

Heres a 3d rear fuselage
Nov 22, 2003, 06:19 PM
Looking Good, love the cluster. If you need any pics of our SE5A from the museum let me know. It's a silver scheme, RAAF of course.
Nov 22, 2003, 07:21 PM
Single-task at best...
Sparkin,

Wouldn't life be a lot a easier if only Peter would just stop publishing all these designs?

Nice work on the SE5; that instrument panel looks really good!

tim
Nov 22, 2003, 09:00 PM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
*drools*

This one (or an IPS sized version ) is a must have for me! I'm hunting around for white (or canvas) lightweight tissue so I can get my Pup finished off, are there online suppliers of it? I'm all out of luck finding it locally. All I can get my hands on are coloured Esaki and canvas Early Bird. Early Bird is a bit lightweight, fragile, and expensive for my tastes though.

Quick Reply