This thread is privately moderated by Tail Spin1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
Lift is where you find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERSAURUS
Here's mine.
That's a beautiful job you've done there- thanks for posting. Can we see a photo of the yaw mechanism on your tri?

Rick
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
Here you go Rick. This is the only shot I have of the tail at the moment. It dosen't show much but you get the idea. There is a spindle projecting from the rear of the boom, and ball bearings mounted in the motor mount plate. If you want a better pic I can take some more for you. Cheers Rob.
Aug 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Quote:
Here you go Rick. This is the only shot I have of the tail at the moment. It dosen't show much but you get the idea. There is a spindle projecting from the rear of the boom, and ball bearings mounted in the motor mount plate. If you want a better pic I can take some more for you. Cheers Rob.
Did you build that frame? Its awesome! Puts my tricopter to shame

Mine is still a work in progress. Still has yet to take flight (but has managed to break almost every prop I own). I need to build better landing gear then try.
Aug 26, 2012, 01:43 PM

DT750 motors

Hey- you guys that are using DT750 (or 700) motors need to get with it and swap out the threaded shafts for some standard 4mm shafts. It's easy, and the benefits are excellent- you can use standard collet type prop adapters, and the solid shafts are much less prone to bending in a crash (not that any of us would ever crash.....LOL).

I've done 10 or 12 so far, and have been pleased with the results. Attached is a before and after shot.

Rick
Aug 26, 2012, 06:07 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR
Hey- you guys that are using DT750 (or 700) motors need to get with it and swap out the threaded shafts for some standard 4mm shafts. It's easy, and the benefits are excellent- you can use standard collet type prop adapters, and the solid shafts are much less prone to bending in a crash (not that any of us would ever crash.....LOL).

I've done 10 or 12 so far, and have been pleased with the results. Attached is a before and after shot.

Rick
I saw what those prop adapters cost, no thanks. Im planning on cutting down my shafts soon so I wont have to worry about bending them... but so far it appears the props are the first to break.
Aug 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd
I saw what those prop adapters cost, no thanks. Im planning on cutting down my shafts soon so I wont have to worry about bending them... but so far it appears the props are the first to break.
To make it worth cutting the shafts down, you need to make them short enough that the props rest on the motor bell- this gives you vibration reduction But then, you have the problem of being able to get the prop tight enough without making the shaft slip in the bell. These problems are addressed by changing the shaft and using the adapter.

Not sure where you checked prices, but these things can be had for about $2.00 each, which is a pretty small investment to help protect your motors. Not to mention that they make it sooooo much easier to change props.

http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...p-adapter.html

Rick
Aug 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Ok going off topic here, but do you have a photo of your DT750 with the props mounted?? The last ones I saw were like $8ea & I figured they would be useless. But you are right about the ballancing, plus today I think i might have bent one of my shafts today, just slightly.
Aug 27, 2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Did you build that frame? Its awesome! Puts my tricopter to shame

Mine is still a work in progress. Still has yet to take flight (but has managed to break almost every prop I own). I need to build better landing gear then try.
Yes, I built the frame. Took me a little while, this being the first one I have made. I tried to make it look more like some sort of space craft but without adding too much weight. It looks great in a nice slow flyby at eye level.
Your little copter is nothing to be ashamed of. It looks cool. Just get some more props, find a huge open field and practice. Dont do what I did and try to fly in a small yard, it's just not worth the frustration when you crash just because you needed that little bit more space to bring it back level. I have 4 x 10minute flights on mine now and I have never flown RC Copters before.
Aug 27, 2012, 01:52 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Quote:
Your little copter is nothing to be ashamed of. It looks cool. Just get some more props, find a huge open field and practice. Dont do what I did and try to fly in a small yard, it's just not worth the frustration when you crash just because you needed that little bit more space to bring it back level. I have 4 x 10minute flights on mine now and I have never flown RC Copters before.
Thanks. I burnt through props trying to take off in the street with those dinky coat hanger landing gear... i upgraded to some old RC Crawler tires I had taking up space and they do a much better job

I will be building some skids like you have on your frame, but for now these will do. I went through the rest of my props today and will be placing an order for 2x more than I had before.

Under further inspection it appears that maybe 2 of my prop shafts are bent. So Im looking for this 4mm shaft replacement 2400RDR was speaking of.
Aug 27, 2012, 03:46 AM
Under further inspection it appears that maybe 2 of my prop shafts are bent. So Im looking for this 4mm shaft replacement 2400RDR was speaking of.[/QUOTE]

Just going off my experence when setting up mine, if I had a great deal of vibration from the motors or props the control board went mad and the tail servo would jitter back and forth which would have made it very difficult to control. If you have bent shafts it could be contributing to your lack of flight control. I balanced both the motors and props and this thing will almost hover hands off. By the way, I love the tyres. Tricopter meets Rockcrawler.
Aug 27, 2012, 06:26 AM
The thing about DT750 shafts is that they are pressed in. If you don't have a press or a vice and some tools, you will have a hard time getting them out and pressing in new ones.

I think I bent at least one of my shafts. The bell on one motor rubs the stator in one spot as it rotates, but only sometimes. I think I may have bent the stator housing itself. Should have ordered spare motors!
Aug 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox50
The thing about DT750 shafts is that they are pressed in. If you don't have a press or a vice and some tools, you will have a hard time getting them out and pressing in new ones.
That is true. some folks use an arbor press; I use my drill press like an arbor press. It wouldn't be that hard to use a plain old vise if you were determined enough. Even a C-clamp could be modified to work.

I use a lot of DT7x0 motors, so it's worth it to me. Using that prop adapter just makes it so much easier to change props.

Rick
Aug 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Ok going off topic here, but do you have a photo of your DT750 with the props mounted?? The last ones I saw were like $8ea & I figured they would be useless. But you are right about the ballancing, plus today I think i might have bent one of my shafts today, just slightly.
The third post in this thread has pictures of my hex with adapters and props mounted. I eventually changed out the shafts on the quad as well.

If you need something a little more close up, let me know and I'll post it later today.

I don't think we're too far off topic- this is a part of scratch building.

Rick
Last edited by 2400RDR; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Aug 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR
The third post in this thread has pictures of my hex with adapters and props mounted. I eventually changed out the shafts on the quad as well.

If you need something a little more close up, let me know and I'll post it later today.

I don't think we're too far off topic- this is a part of scratch building.

Rick
Thanks. You are right about them looking cleaner than 4mm shafts and a few locknuts. Is there a 4mm shaft that works with these motors? Or do I have to cut & modify one? I didn't find one when I was searching last night. I have a couple vices, so im not worried about the work. Plus i could use a quicker method of swapping out props.

I was looking at using this prop adapter: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Type_4MM.html

Now I just have to figure out which 11x4.7 prop will be best.
Aug 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Quote:
Just going off my experence when setting up mine, if I had a great deal of vibration from the motors or props the control board went mad and the tail servo would jitter back and forth which would have made it very difficult to control. If you have bent shafts it could be contributing to your lack of flight control. I balanced both the motors and props and this thing will almost hover hands off. By the way, I love the tyres. Tricopter meets Rockcrawler.
I definitely need to balance these motors. I've been trying to use my Android smartphone with a few different apps, but im worried doing it on the bench will alter my results. So Im trying to find a way to suspend the tricopter. I also want to find a couple scales and balance the weight on the frame.

Quick Reply