This thread is privately moderated by Tail Spin1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 05, 2021, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake
I am sure there is a weight vs flight time thing happening. Do you have telemetry showing you the amp draw at hover? You could easily calculate how long it will hover for based on the amp draw without having to fly the full one hour. Unless of course you like flying for one hour Might be easier for experimentation.

Also going from 3s to 4s to 5s you would want to adjust the PIDs to not be so reactive. As the voltage goes up, so does the aggressiveness of the adjustments, even though some FC software has a compensation for this. This would waste more energy.
Having already performed a test flight with a 3s 2800mAh Lipo (battery weight 203 g / 2680 mAh used, 61 minutes, approx 30 W) I can roughly estimate what flight time is to be expected with a 3s 5000 mAh battery (battery weight 215 g).
About 700 mW need to be added for the power consumption of the LIDAR which I had not attached back then.

Tbh, I feel like moving on to the Intellicopter. I am curious how it will perform with the Li-ions.
Both craft made right beyond 20 g/W with a tiny lipo.

As it comes to batteries, for every day usage I would prefer cells like the VTC5A//VTC5D/VTC6 (18650) or VTC6A/40T (21700). Those high capacity 35E / 50E cells need to be handled like raw eggs. Also it seems to me Murata/Sony having the better quality management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongsr
woga65 i want to see a photo of your spare parts bins. i imagine you have 1000 spare parts to build all of these amazing machines.
Let me tell you my secret. No wife -> No need to hide newly arrived toys.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2021, 04:13 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
There is definitely a weight versus time factor. I generally run 3S 2200 packs. When I used a 4S pack I only gained about 2 minutes overall due to the extra weight. I came to the conclusion that it was not worth adding extra cells for the benefit gained.
Mind you, I do not use the science in my quads that you guys do. Just trial and error. I am more into the autonomous flight side.
May 05, 2021, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
There is definitely a weight versus time factor. I generally run 3S 2200 packs. When I used a 4S pack I only gained about 2 minutes overall due to the extra weight. I came to the conclusion that it was not worth adding extra cells for the benefit gained.
Mind you, I do not use the science in my quads that you guys do. Just trial and error. I am more into the autonomous flight side.
Even though it might not look that way, it is the same for me, just try and error.
Two or or three years ago I performed an 80 minutes flight with a 4s2p Li-ion pack. Then I tried 4s3p and realized that I only gained six minutes.

From my experience, as long as the motors are not overloaded, it basically all boils down to the RPM.
More weight => higher RPM needed => less efficient
Smaller props => higher RPM needed => less efficient
Bigger props => more torque needed => heavier motors => more weight
More energy => heavier battery => more weight
May 05, 2021, 11:06 PM

IntelliCopter INR21700-50E Li-ion

I finally performed a test flight with the IntellCopter powered by a 4s 5000 mAh Li-Ion pack.

She performed well, so I will make an INAV target and add navigation sensors.

IntelliCopter - a Quadcopter with wide slowly rotating propellers (14 min 55 sec)
May 06, 2021, 05:11 AM
Design is everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder50BMG
Hello guys !
Not a 100% scratchbuilt but ,just wanna share this . I was drag in by my local flying buddy on building this.

Pix and maiden....
Just saw this -X wing fighter quad - incredible build. I think plain quadcopters are so boring whereas plane/spaceship quadcopters are great.
May 10, 2021, 08:11 AM

Back to Variable Pitch

Last night I shaved off a few grams of weight by replacing some of the stranded wires by 0.2 mm enameled copper wire.
Then I added a BetaFPV Nano HD camera. The AUW is 242 g including a MicroSD card and a 2s 950 mAh lipo.

Here is some DVR footage of the short test run I have performed today.

INAV powered sub 250g Variable Pitch Bicopter - testing FPV cam (2 min 24 sec)
May 11, 2021, 09:16 PM

LIDAR added - check

Finally I got everything working that I wanted. Now its time to move outside.

INAV powered Micro Variable Pitch Bicopter - testing LIDAR / Terrain Follow Mode (2 min 36 sec)
May 15, 2021, 01:12 AM
Gunslinger

Bicopter

I finally finished my Bicopter built, using RCExplorers 3D print files. All parts are printed with ABS. FC is a Cleanflight SP Racing F3 DeLuxe. Had some troubles setting up the bicopter due to my lack of knowledge regarding the cli and general how-to. After two evenings searching the web I finally got the fc working the way I think it should. For the interested ones: Diff of my cli attached for persons like me who are not pros in setting up multirotors.
May 17, 2021, 07:50 AM
pretty cool. how does it fly?
May 22, 2021, 12:18 AM

248 grams in the wind

INAV powered Micro Variable Pitch Bicopter - first outdoor flights in gusty conditions (6 min 50 sec)
May 22, 2021, 03:20 AM
Great video Woga but, yes, that was a bit windy. LOL
Jun 03, 2021, 02:03 PM
experimental modeller
Flying Man Bicopter
SPECTACULAR STUNNING !!! RC FLYING MAN IN SCALE 1:1 FLIGHT DEMONSTRATION (3 min 57 sec)
Jun 04, 2021, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Great video Woga but, yes, that was a bit windy. LOL
The wind catches me always, either the wind outside or the downwash of the rotors inside.
Ive upgraded to larger rotor blades, now its almost impossible to escape the ground effect when flying inside.

Large variable pitch bicopter - final test (1 min 51 sec)
Jun 05, 2021, 12:11 AM
Oh boy, you must put a lot of time into that.
Jun 05, 2021, 04:06 AM
DIY Quadcopter Flying Witch
四軸巫婆機 眼閃光 頭可轉動 帶巫婆音效 純分享 Quadcopter Flying Witch (5 min 24 sec)

Quick Reply