Oct 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
Flying Monkey
heli-yeah's Avatar
Here's a couple pics of my new scratchbuild swept-back V-tail design...

Name: Picture 6.jpg
Views: 583
Size: 79.4 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 4.jpg
Views: 445
Size: 75.8 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 5.jpg
Views: 436
Size: 81.1 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 1.jpg
Views: 462
Size: 82.5 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 3.jpg
Views: 427
Size: 90.0 KB
Description:

Name: Picture 2.jpg
Views: 402
Size: 73.9 KB
Description:

Whacha think?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Granted's Avatar
@heli-yeah
I think I know what my next quad is gonna look like. The tail is 90deg? What motors/props?
Oct 18, 2012, 11:49 PM
Registered User
Hello,

Some pics of my tricopter, (i posted it wrong)
Hope u all like it... suggestions welcome!

Greetz from Belgium

Parts list

Hobbyking V2.1 flashed with kapten kirk software
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega168PA_.html
Turnigy 950Kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Hobbyking redbrick 30A ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...k_30A_ESC.html
Flying with Lipo 2200MAh 3s 30C
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Last edited by delanghe; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: forgot partlist :s
Oct 19, 2012, 01:40 AM
<Marty>
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Here's a couple pics of my new scratchbuild swept-back V-tail design...

Attachment 5241689

Attachment 5241687

Attachment 5241688

Attachment 5241684

Attachment 5241686

Attachment 5241685

Whacha think?
nice build...glad to see another builder/flyer in the bluegrass state..
Oct 19, 2012, 02:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Here's a couple pics of my new scratchbuild swept-back V-tail design...

Attachment 5241689

Attachment 5241687

Attachment 5241688

Attachment 5241684

Attachment 5241686

Attachment 5241685

Whacha think?
I gotta admit, this is different. How does it fly? Is there any pitch or CG issues with the power differential?

We've all been building multirotors with identical motors at all positions. This is the first I seen with an power differential. Interesting.
Oct 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
Flying Monkey
heli-yeah's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
@heli-yeah
I think I know what my next quad is gonna look like. The tail is 90deg? What motors/props?
Yes 90deg. I have added details/specs to my post in the scratchbuild multirotor tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
nice build...glad to see another builder/flyer in the bluegrass state..
Good to know your near, maybe we can fly someday! There are few multirotor pilots in the area, but we are growing in numbers everyday. ( I build quads for new pilots that I've introduced to the world of RC flight, and get more on the hook every time I fly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakatche View Post
I gotta admit, this is different. How does it fly? Is there any pitch or CG issues with the power differential?


We've all been building multirotors with identical motors at all positions. This is the first I seen with an power differential. Interesting.
The power distribution/thrust seems to be very well balanced. The CG is just about center of the frame (with a little more adjustment to the frame it will be dead center). I am still learning P/I tuning with the KK2, but it flies good for now and it's only gonna get better with the more I learn about this board!
Last edited by heli-yeah; Oct 23, 2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Kilroy Was Here!
Oct 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
Registered User
Made a short movie today of my Tri.... Yaw mechanism broke down.... plastic servo arm broke...
Enjoy the movie, (we're still learning how to fly)

exploringtheoptions (3 min 42 sec)


this is an old vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRVRV...ture=endscreen
Last edited by delanghe; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: applying old video
Oct 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
Here are a few pictures of another one of my designs I have named Sweptback because of the configuration of the forward arms. The arms are swept to remove the props from the camera's view and because of this, other modifications had to be made to align the Center of thrust with the Center of Gravity. Original, this was a Tricopter design however I found this V-Tail configuration to be much more efficient.


Sweptback-II Low Altitude Testing (2 min 44 sec)


The mission of this copter is to carry a camera payload to a predetermined altitude and location, hover about, then return home. So none of my video will be about proving how well this design can handle 3D or Sport Flying. First rounds of testings looks very promising, nice and stable in mild winds, gust about 10-14mph. In this video, only the Gyro and Accelerometer are used. Next rounds of testing will include GPS and Altitude holding.
Oct 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User
@rimshotcopter: looks great... pretty stable
Oct 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
Thank you.
Oct 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Registered User
Matt Chester's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Here are a few pictures of another one of my designs I have named Sweptback because of the configuration of the forward arms. The arms are swept to remove the props from the camera's view and because of this, other modifications had to be made to align the Center of thrust with the Center of Gravity. Original, this was a Tricopter design however I found this V-Tail configuration to be much more efficient.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-cZpvOf2cw

The mission of this copter is to carry a camera payload to a predetermined altitude and location, hover about, then return home. So none of my video will be about proving how well this design can handle 3D or Sport Flying. First rounds of testings looks very promising, nice and stable in mild winds, gust about 10-14mph. In this video, only the Gyro and Accelerometer are used. Next rounds of testing will include GPS and Altitude holding.
Rimshot,

Those look really cool and it seems to be flying very well too. I have knocked this idea around a bit myself. What size motors are you using and what is the distance between motors? Also, what controller are you using?
Oct 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester View Post
Rimshot,

Those look really cool and it seems to be flying very well too. I have knocked this idea around a bit myself. What size motors are you using and what is the distance between motors? Also, what controller are you using?
The front motors are RCTimers 3536 900kv with APC 14" props, the rear motors at 1100kv with apc 8". I believe measurements are 40" on version one and 32 on version two, it has been awhile.
Oct 21, 2012, 12:09 PM
Registered User
jimbob69's Avatar
My first scratch built copter,
Kind of 'borrowed' influences from RCexplorer and blueskyrc's wooden tri.
500mm motor to motor,
10mm aluminium arms, 2.5mm fibreglass plates.
KK2 control board, plush 25a esc, carbonbird 775kv motors, GWS9050 props,
Folds away for transport,
RCexplorer/renatoa yaw setup.

weight without battery is around 600grams

This is my first tri after only flying a few quads for the last six months, the yaw speed has blown me away, SO damn fast
Haven't really played with the settings yet but it flys pretty well straight off with defaults so far,
It feels so much floatier/light in the air compared to my quad, really nice feeling.

Has tons of pep with the 9050s on, 8x4.5s felt a bit limp.

put around 10packs through it so far but haven't got a voltage alarm yet and can't be arsed to strip my spektrum receiver/telemetry off my quad so don't know how long a flight times I'm getting, maybe next week.

Need to make the earplug mounted gopro/camera mount plate next week and get my 5.8 gear on board but I'm super happy with how it flys so far.



Last edited by jimbob69; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: weight added
Oct 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Registered User
Matt Chester's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
My first scratch built copter,
Kind of 'borrowed' influences from RCexplorer and blueskyrc's wooden tri.
500mm motor to motor,
10mm aluminium arms, 2.5mm fibreglass plates.
KK2 control board, plush 25a esc, carbonbird 775kv motors, GWS9050 props,
Folds away for transport,
RCexplorer/renatoa yaw setup.

weight without battery is around 600grams

This is my first tri after only flying a few quads for the last six months, the yaw speed has blown me away, SO damn fast
Haven't really played with the settings yet but it flys pretty well straight off with defaults so far,
It feels so much floatier/light in the air compared to my quad, really nice feeling.

Has tons of pep with the 9050s on, 8x4.5s felt a bit limp.

put around 10packs through it so far but haven't got a voltage alarm yet and can't be arsed to strip my spektrum receiver/telemetry off my quad so don't know how long a flight times I'm getting, maybe next week.
Very nice. I like the smiley face, that's classic. I too started with quads, but always had the suspicion that I would like tri's better, and I do. Like you said, the yaw control is wayyyyy different, kinda like a hybrid between a heli and a typical airplane. Quads are fun, but for LOS flying, tris and Tees rule.
Oct 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Registered User
jimbob69's Avatar
thanks,

i built this as a bit of a basher to be fair,

after stacking my scarab quad into the ground a few times lately i got fed up with carbon explosions and too many M2 allen screws so built something a little cheaper, more durable and easier to repair in the field, no one wants to go home with a sack full of full lipos do they,

ran it today with Hallstudio's settings and bloody hell that's a handful!!!!!!! tuned the stick scaling back a bit and it's still pretty wild but WOW the snap turns are just great, got a day off tomorrow so gonna run a boatload of batts through it and get more of a feel for it,

might try shorter arms too, that's the joy off the cable tie setup, you can just move the motors in to see if you like it, great way to find your sweet spot.

i'm going to do a wooden H-quad really soon too i think, git a CC3D in the post that needs a home


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Show us your RC orders! Lets see how much we spend :O Koo Electric Plane Talk 60 Nov 24, 2016 11:32 PM
Discussion Show Us your US Navy Ship ! Chophop Life, The Universe, and Politics 92 Jul 16, 2016 04:49 PM
Discussion Show us your favorite hi-res FPV video compuatic FPV Talk 10 Jan 04, 2015 01:38 AM
Discussion Show us your workshop bazman The Builders Workshop 41 Jul 21, 2014 10:16 PM
Discussion Show Us Your Hoverthings FPV Frame scrape Multirotor Drone Talk 2149 Apr 18, 2014 05:06 PM