Aug 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Skid steering robot- need help with RC mixer choice

Hello! I am part of a university robotics team, and I was wondering if you could help me some with a specific issue:

We have 3 RC robots that are skid steering, 2 wheels per side. We currently are mixing the channels on the radio controllers themselves, but this has some issues, such as being very very finicky, and we cannot seem to get full speed forward and back- when turning the wheels spin faster than they do while driving normally..

The robot speed controllers are RoboteQ controllers, and each is at least 60 pounds. However, they just use standard radio receivers, so the size shouldn't matter.

I was wondering if there is a way to use a hardware mixer on the robot itself to control this, making the radio setup simpler. Ideally the mixer would be programmable, allowing potentially different motor speeds to be corrected and allowing it to drive in straight lines easier.

Does anything like this exist? I see people saying that v-tail mixers can do this.. but they do not seem to be programmable.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2012, 03:45 AM
If you are using an Arduino, you can use my example project for calibrating and mapping from a stick or wheel type transmitter to two independently driven axles - my example is track driven, but the same concept applies to skid steers.

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/2012/0...ino-robot.html

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/2012/0...93d-motor.html

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Quick Reply