New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Discussion

Brown out, Hold, Loose wire or Something Else?

System is a Multiplex funcub, Hacker A30-16M V2 motor, Hacker X40 SB esc, Spektrum AR600 Rx, Spektrum DX6xi Tx, Hitec servos.

Last night towards the end of the first flight I experienced a momentary loss of alieron control. It recovered and I was able to land fine.

On the second flight at about 5 minutes I experienced the same thing only it didn't recover. I had no power and no control over the plane.

When it came down I checked the battery and it had 11.65 volts, the esc and motor were hot but not burning. I installed the battery again and the esc didn't beep, I touched one of the wires and then it beeped. I unplugged and plugged the battery in again and it beeped and came back up fine. Not sure if this was a glitch or a loose wire. I looked at the wires and didn't see anything.

This also occured this past weekend. It was at the end of the flight so I shrugged it off as the battery was bad. Now I realize that it's not the battery but some other glitch in the system.

I didn't have the Spektrum flight log so I don't know if there were holds or not.

I did just purchase a Hitec eclipse 7 pro (with two optima 7 rx's) and have the telemetry bundle coming in next week.

Are the symptoms of a radio hold and a brown out the same?

Anyone have any ideas where I should start to troubleshoot?
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
If you touched a wire, and it came alive, I would suspect a bad solder joint, broken wire, or a bad connector. It is not unusual for wires to break or a solder joint to come loose inside the heat shrink tubing. Try to replicate it on the bench. Roy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Yes, same thing happened to me on my Ares Gamma 370. I had just installed a Spektrum AR6115e RX into it and about 2 minutes after a ROG takeoff, she lost all control and went down. I put in another battery since there was minimal damage and the same thing happened. I finally figured out that the battery to ESC connection was faulty since the Ares uses Tamiya/Molex type connectors for them. I replaced the connectors and now everything is fine. Definately a loose connection somewhere.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
I'm tending to think that its a connection as well. Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
"the Ares uses Tamiya/Molex type connectors"

That right there is likely your problem. Gawd, I hate those connectors.

mw