Nov 12, 2001, 09:22 PM
Thread OP

E3d Kit pictures

If this works here are a few pictures of my new E3d kit. I must say the Gary has included some pretty decent wood in this kit.. not 4 Lb. contest wood but pretty darn good for these days!

Also the instruction manual is great! Gary could use a new copier but the content is superb..after just reading teh included manual I know that I will have no problems with this kit....Thanks for the intelligent design Gary!

Here is I hope the link to the pictures: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1801731

Let me know if the picture are worthwhile as I may do sort of a build along with pictures as I start to build the kit.

Thanks
Steve D

By the way the pictures are a wee bit large but I wanted decent detail levels. Sorry if you do not have a fast connection (cable modem here)!
Last edited by avdflyer; Nov 12, 2001 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2001, 11:37 PM

E3D

Hopefully my number we'll be up soon!!

Al
Nov 13, 2001, 05:43 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"

Re: E3d Kit pictures

Thanks Steve, since most of bought (ordered) the kit sight unseen, the pictures are a big help. Looking forward to mine, and more of your pics.

Azarr
www.azarr.com
Nov 13, 2001, 07:12 AM
AVD,.. one of the requirements was to have the design come in at the right weight WITHOUT needed special, 4 to 6 lb, hand selected wood for everything. The way things are,..you actually don't want that light a wood,.. "normal" wood gives you the density/strength, and the design keeps the weight down.
Latest blog entry: blog
Nov 13, 2001, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Gary,

My comment about the wood was not offered to offend! I have become accustomed to finding really bad wood in most kits lately...the wood you supplied good but, I am sort of a wood snob..I have a cache of old contest balsa that I am hoarding for that special project

Your kit is one of the beter ones that I have seen lately. I look forward to completing the plane very soon. I must say that your instructions are GREAT. You seem to have answered all of my questions simply by reading the manual.

All that being said...I will say that the best wood kits I have ever seen were the old Airtronics kits. I NEVER had to trash any of their wood and even though they were produced before Laser cutting was available the part fit was superb. It also helped that the plane flew well!

Thanks
Steve D

PS I really like the socket head servo mounting screws...little stuff like that show an attention to detail that seems to have been lost in this industry...Thanks Gary!
Nov 13, 2001, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! It is now 8:46 am CST I posted the pictures last night around 9:00pm CST......761 HITS SO FAR!!!!

I did not realize how much traffic Ezonemag generates. Advertisers are you listening...761 hits in one short night (about 12 hours!)!

Steve D
That is 761 hits on photopoint.
Nov 13, 2001, 10:51 AM
no offense taken,.. I understood what you intended. My point was that with proper design, the really light (and soft and weak) wood isn't needed, nor desired. As an aside,.. 5 of the customer built E3D's that have been weighed were 2 to 3 ounces lighter than my prototypes, indicating I've got some pretty "bad" wood in my "scrap box" for scratch building/prototyping . If contest wood was required, the cost of the kit would have been even higher cause that stuff's expensive.
I've been using those servo screws for a few years and I love them. They have the "washer" built in, and since they're sockethead,..you don't poke screwdrivers through the airplane It's a bit of a hassle to count them out and package them, but I figured it was worth the couple bucks in cost and time to include them. As for people seeing the "robbe" wheels in your pictures,.. I have 3 suppliers for those really lightweight wheels, with Robbe being one of them. They are all the same size/weight, but the Robbe's are a bit easier to get,..as they "almost" always have them in stock in Germany, and shipping is much quicker than expected from there. For those seeing these pictures, and having kits without "robbe" written on the wheels,.. you have the same weight and size wheel,.. just without the writing.

Quote:
Originally posted by avdflyer
Gary,

My comment about the wood was not offered to offend! I have become accustomed to finding really bad wood in most kits lately...the wood you supplied good but, I am sort of a wood snob..I have a cache of old contest balsa that I am hoarding for that special project

Your kit is one of the beter ones that I have seen lately. I look forward to completing the plane very soon. I must say that your instructions are GREAT. You seem to have answered all of my questions simply by reading the manual.

All that being said...I will say that the best wood kits I have ever seen were the old Airtronics kits. I NEVER had to trash any of their wood and even though they were produced before Laser cutting was available the part fit was superb. It also helped that the plane flew well!

Thanks
Steve D

PS I really like the socket head servo mounting screws...little stuff like that show an attention to detail that seems to have been lost in this industry...Thanks Gary!
Nov 13, 2001, 10:57 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Gary!

One last suggestion or idea....how about an E3D Biplane?

Steve D
Nov 13, 2001, 11:02 AM
I looked up "biplane" in the GW dictionary

Biplane- "aircraft that has been mistakenly assembled with one too many wings, creating aerodynamic inefficiancies and poor flying qualities"

I guess they have their place,.. and I have flown a few ultimate derivatives that were nice,.. but biplanes don't really "excite" me a lot.
Nov 13, 2001, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
OK no biplane...how about a sort of scale triplane?
Nov 13, 2001, 12:06 PM
FASST flyer
Gary - How's the backlog comming? Just wondering how long it might be before my number comes up.

Biplanes don't interest me either, but a larger E3D would turn me on I liked the big 64 inch E3D in the video, but a 48 incher will keep me happy for now. A 70 or 80 incher would really be cool.

I love those socket head servo screws myself.
Nov 13, 2001, 02:46 PM

Ultimate E3D?

I was thinking of making an E3D bipe.

When my kit arrives I will build according to the plan, but include mounting points for a second wing.

If and when I get the desire, my plan was to make second wing, bolt it on and see what happens :-)

Paul
Nov 13, 2001, 04:02 PM

Re: Ultimate E3D?

With the recommended power system, just about ANY weight addition (mounting points for second wing) is going to have an adverse affect on performance. We know that mine are 3.5 lbs, and a few others have turned out 2 to 3 ounces under that. Mine hover,.. I've flown others now that would hover at or below 3.5#. The one that I've flown at 4# (he has a huge 600mah nicad rx pack, and big servos and reciever in it, along with lots of glue apparently),.. will not hover. If that sort of power isn't your cup of tea anyway,.. then a few ounces won't hurt as evidenced by the 4# example (which flies marvelously by the way,.. but is restricted to only 70~80 degree climbs,.. no true unlimited vertical). I have a couple 10-cell CP1300 packs I put together for funflies and such, when only a few seconds of power is needed per flight,.. and the 1/2 lb weight savings over the 2400 and 3000 packs is ,.er,..uhm,... VERY NOTICABLE.

Quote:
Originally posted by pgleesonuk
I was thinking of making an E3D bipe.

When my kit arrives I will build according to the plan, but include mounting points for a second wing.

If and when I get the desire, my plan was to make second wing, bolt it on and see what happens :-)

Paul
Nov 14, 2001, 03:39 PM

e3d kit observations

i received my e3d kit last night. the laser cutting is exceptional! looks like everything will fall together. the instructions are great although the pics are hard to see (very dark) there is a section in the instructions on how to set up the radio for 3d tricks (very nice!) the small accessories are nice (light wheels and gear. nice hardware, screws etc.....)
only one complaint, i have two 1/16th sheeting pieces that are cracked and very warped, also some of the stringers are warped as well.

all in all, i am satisfied! looks like it will be a great build.
Nov 14, 2001, 05:03 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Yeah, Gary, where is our PDF manual?!?!

I never got my monster Word file either.

Quick Reply