This thread is privately moderated by jameschen072, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 17, 2012, 09:26 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Discussion

My sentimental journey

I've been reflecting on how my life has changed dramatically since I found r/c as a hobby back in 2003.. and my conclusion is that it's not the aircraft, but the people that have made the greatest impact in my life. I would've given up very early on (those were the days of nicad batteries and 370 brushed motors after-all!) had it not been for the patience and kindness of fellow hobbyists... like Mr. Wang, who offered to teach me how to fly when I came up to ask questions about his Tigermoth and Formosa (Now he's a very close family friend) or the flyers at El Toro, at Northwood Highschool in Irvine, at ShinKong park in Taiwan among others.
I really think that those who share our hobby have a passion, a flame that should not be hidden but one that should spread like wildfire. Share that love of flying to others... you never know, it might be someone's life you're changing the next time you head to your flying field!

Although most of them probably won't see this message, I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks... without people like them all over the world, the R/C community be what it is now.

I am deeply addicted...almost ten years in and it seems that the addiction will only get worse. Bring it on!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

What are your stories?
Last edited by jameschen072; Aug 17, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Good story, thanks.

I flew control line in my teens and early 20s, this was back in the 70s and early 80s. Then raising a family, career etc got in the way. I'd always liked the RC stuff but it was out of my price league.

On my 50th birthday over 4 years ago, my wife asked what I wanted and I quickly said an RC plane. Since then I've had a real ball getting into this amazing hobby. Many days I walk off the runway with a grin from ear to ear. The love of flying is true of all in our club, the social side of it is also grand.
Aug 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei
Good story, thanks.

I flew control line in my teens and early 20s, this was back in the 70s and early 80s. Then raising a family, career etc got in the way. I'd always liked the RC stuff but it was out of my price league.

On my 50th birthday over 4 years ago, my wife asked what I wanted and I quickly said an RC plane. Since then I've had a real ball getting into this amazing hobby. Many days I walk off the runway with a grin from ear to ear. The love of flying is true of all in our club, the social side of it is also grand.
It is amazing how cheap R/C has become. I'm really glad to hear that you got back into this hobby! And yeah, the social side is great indeed! Online or in person. (I spend more time on RCG than I do flying these days )

Quick Reply