Sep 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
"Free crash instruction"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Did they ever retrieve the plane that got stuck in the trees Friday night ? Looked to be about 1/3 up the hillside.

It was ALL fun to watch. I thought this one was cool. I'm gonna try something like it for next year.
This has to be... ... jeeze, I was toasted..... Gary plane I think.. ...A true artist when it comes to lighting. He meticulously removes covering and hand crafts each LED and with lots of though put in ....... it's like stained glass windows. You should see his shooting star plane. The JCSF guys had a number of impressive planes for the nightfly.
Last edited by Cr@sh; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2012, 03:32 AM
D.G.B.
I thought this was great to see the planes flying in the dark.What I want to know is ,"Where to purchase lights or systems for night flying.
stefanP
Sep 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
The simplest way is to buy several colors of the 12V strip LED lights that many many people sell. Smear the plane with a bead of contact cement and press the lights down. I've never done it but many people like to wire a matching connector to the battery balance connector to the lights. Me, I just solder a Y with the ESC to battery connection.

Pete
Sep 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
How high will it go?
http://www.lazertoyz.com/Lights_c_44.htmlghts.htm

Is a good place to start.
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
Sep 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr@sh View Post
This has to be... ... jeeze, I was toasted..... Gary or Gregs plane.. ...A true artist when it comes to lighting. He meticulously removes covering and hand crafts each LED and with lots of though put in ....... it's like stained glass windows. You should see his shooting star plane. The BCSF guys had a number of impressive planes for the nightfly.
Hey Crash,

I think it was the JCSF guys with the night flyers - the Bergen guys were way too busy in the Castle tent.

Rob
Sep 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
"Free crash instruction"
Rob ,your right ..one of the gang with a vapor or abmber that was flying in bigtop. He explained how he cannibalizes LED's and lays them out in frames like you would not believe...it's not one of my overnight builds. They take weeks if not months in my case. he also covers them in cool ways that take real patience...he uses that light covering that is tough to work with and shrinks quick. Rob my friend, who's giant mustang was that in this pic ..please give me info so I can order one...... and please don't say, Banana or Nitroplanes......it's wood right ?....So Rob, how was your time at NEAT ? come on man , lets hear a good one like the best thing you witnessed .......and I don't mean that women you were stalking
Last edited by Cr@sh; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Sep 24, 2012, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
I thought this was great to see the planes flying in the dark.What I want to know is ,"Where to purchase lights or systems for night flying.
stefanP
Hey Stefan,

The LED strips are great but you need to watch your weight based on the kind of plane you have. It's also a good to not make it too bright - makes it hard on the other pilots otherwise

I like to use discrete LEDs and dropping resistors in my designs. It's more work but gives you lots of flexibility, plus you have a wider viewing angle. For foamies you can imbed the LEDs in the foam, or between sheets of foam (that's how my delta is set up). For power you can use a brushed speed controller (variable lighting option) or a simple BEC. Another option is using a programmable controller like the one Dimension Engineering makes. There are lots of options out there

Rob
Sep 24, 2012, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr@sh View Post
Rob ,your right ..one of the gang with a vapor or abmber that was flying in bigtop. He explained how he cannibalizes LED's and lays them out in frames like you would not believe...it's not one of my overnight builds. They take weeks if not months in my case. he also covers them in cool ways that take real patience...he uses that light covering that is tough to work with and shrinks quick. Rob my friend, who's giant mustang was that in this pic ..please give me info so I can order one...... and please don't say, Banana or Nitroplanes......it is wood right ?....So Rob, how was your time at NEAT ? come on man , lets hear a good one like the best thing you witnessed .......and I don't mean that women you were stalking
Hey Crash,

I don't recalling seeing that one but it sure doesn't look foam to me. I suspect someone will know the answer though

Rob
Sep 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
"Free crash instruction"
yeah, Joe tells me foam ......I don't think so cause I see covering and wheel wells are balsa, hope someone chimes in who makes it ......... So again, no adventures to tell ?
Sep 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
are you guys serious? your gonna tell a guy named CRASH where to get a plane that big???? OH-BOY!!!!
Crash,
PLEASE let me know when you plan to fly this plane at r.c.s.m.p. field.... i gotta be there!!!
Sep 24, 2012, 11:40 PM
"Free crash instruction"
Man, I'll have onboard and external video to catch the mayhem.......just for you...... Oh, bring plenty of CA ..........am I that bad ? LOL
Last edited by Cr@sh; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Sep 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
thats Mark (MYC) in the pics holding the 'stang ... PM him and ask.
Sep 25, 2012, 03:14 PM
"Free crash instruction"
wow your right, Mark and his nephew MRKmotorcross ......I'll call Mark or PM him tonight, Thanks Alan
Sep 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
How high will it go?
So, are we going to try this next year?

49 quadrocopter in outdoor-formation-flight / Ars Electronica Futurelab / Linz, Austria (4 min 16 sec)
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
Sep 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
Holy frak!