NEAT Night Flying!!! - RC Groups
Aug 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
Discussion

NEAT Night Flying!!!

I don't know if you guys have had a chance to check yet, but per the September lunar calendar we'll have a new moon on the Saturday night of NEAT, which mean virtually no moon during the event, which translates into EXTREME dark at Peaceful Valley. Let the night flying begin!!!

I love NEAT for all the various aspects it has, but to be honest I spend more time flying at night than the day at this event. I guess it's because I don't get a chance to do much of it around my home base, and I'm trying to catch up It's also so surreal - especially when the fog rolls into the valley, or you have one of those clear non-moonlite nights where you can see the Milky Way (and the occasional shooting star or satellite).

So, let's get geared up! We all need to get ready for Tom's Saturday nightflyer contest after all (let the carnage begin!). In the meantime, who's bringing what, and do you have anything new or unusual this time around?

As for me I'll have my SA Shaft with its Dimension Engineering controlled lightshow, plus my version of Leadfeather's 3D Delta. I'm also in the process of putting together a new plane specially designed for Tom's contest - let's see how that goes and if I can crack into the top 3 this year (and not spend my time trying to find parts on the ground...).

BTW if anyone is interested in a little group flying with their Night Vapors we'll be having some special events down in the JCSF tent during the week. Let's see how many we can get flying together under our big top (among other activities ).

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
Head NEAT geek
yes

The saturday night contest will be the same rules as last year (posted here for the short term). just ignore the dates.
Aug 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'll have my Hobby Lobby Miracle (309 leds) and a Polaris ready to go.
Aug 16, 2012, 01:02 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
I put lights on my MPX Easy Cub operated by a brushed esc. It has about 4 1/2 meters of LED's on it. Not hard to see at all. Been scaring the neighbors with if. I live where the Martians landed in Orson Wells broadcast "War of the Worlds".
Aug 16, 2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
I put lights on my MPX Easy Cub operated by a brushed esc. It has about 4 1/2 meters of LED's on it. Not hard to see at all. Been scaring the neighbors with if. I live where the Martians landed in Orson Wells broadcast "War of the Worlds".
Hey Mike, I too have an Easy Cub, can you send me a wiring diagram showing how you did your lights with the brushed esc? Or just explain it to me, as I have never done one before and I have about 6 strands of LED's I would like to ad to my Easy Cub for the night flying,
Thanks in advance,
Eric G

PS: Do I have to go to night school to learn to fly in the dark????
Aug 16, 2012, 06:31 AM
You just wire the lights to the output of the brushed controller. On my Miracle I have landing lights that are switched with the gear channel and a speed control. The rest of the lights are on all the time. Same battery as the motor.
Aug 16, 2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
You just wire the lights to the output of the brushed controller. On my Miracle I have landing lights that are switched with the gear channel and a speed control. The rest of the lights are on all the time. Same battery as the motor.
Hey Pete, Awesome I will give it a try,

Thanks
Eric G.
Aug 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
It's easy. Just like Pete wrote above. Run all of the + LED wires to the + lead on the motor side of the brushed esc and all - to the - motor lead. One the battery side of the brushed esc you have to solder on an adapter that allows you to connect to your 3s pack. I used 4-pin Deans connector with the two inner pins removed and the remaining pins filed down to mate up with the charge tap on the lipo. I have the esc actuated by a slide switch so my lights can go from flickering to dim to full bright or anything in between.
Aug 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Dan's Flying Sperm is ready to go!
Aug 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Kit Manufacturer
I came back from NEAT last year and immediately built this plane for this year. I have flown it at a couple of contests and it looks great. The LEDs are pointed INTO the EPP so about an inch glows. I have them wired to a brushed ESC on a Tx knob channel and the ESC plugs into the balance plug on the flight battery. The plane has 6 one meter strands of Hobby King LEDs and a EMax 2812 motor on it
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Aug 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
The LEDs are pointed INTO the EPP so about an inch glows.
I just heard of that technique recently - sounds like a MUCH better approach that flipping them around and lighting everything else up. I did essentially the same thing with my EPP delta and discrete LEDs, i.e. illumimated the foam. Makes the plane very visible, looks very cool, and doesn't have to blind everyone on the flight line!

Rob
Aug 16, 2012, 04:39 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
I just heard of that technique recently - sounds like a MUCH better approach that flipping them around and lighting everything else up. I did essentially the same thing with my EPP delta and discrete LEDs, i.e. illumimated the foam. Makes the plane very visible, looks very cool, and doesn't have to blind everyone on the flight line!

Rob
Well, I did take a couple of triplets of white and put them on the LE as gun lights. Just used an old soldering iron to melt dents into the foam edges for the LED bumps.

I have been cutting the Deltas (Leadfeather suggested it as an additional kit) and I was thinking of burying some LEDs under the wing KVs and Fuselage Doublers
Aug 16, 2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Well, I did take a couple of triplets of white and put them on the LE as gun lights. Just used an old soldering iron to melt dents into the foam edges for the LED bumps.

I have been cutting the Deltas (Leadfeather suggested it as an additional kit) and I was thinking of burying some LEDs under the wing KVs and Fuselage Doublers
If you're talking about Leadfeather's 3D Delta I can't recommend that plane enough. If he gave you the go-ahead to kit it I think you'd sell quite a few - the thread on that design has been going on seemingly forever. I think mine was the first set up for night flying (at least the first shared on the thread) and it's a great all-around plane. Mine is more tuned for sport than 3D, but it's very nimble and a blast to fly. I put a Graupner folder on it to avoid the O-ring and prop saver - much less frustrating.

I did essentially what you mentioned - I routed a channel in one side of the KF airfoil and laid the LEDs in there. I did something similar with the fuse, but added 6mm EPP doublers to give it a little more strength and more places for LEDs. Worked out extremely well

Here's link to the results in case you're interested:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=165

Rob
Last edited by stangrob; Aug 16, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added link to project.
Aug 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Kit Manufacturer
yeah, when I got approval for the Yak I asked him if there were any of his other designs that he thought should have been kitted and nobody picked them up. That was one of the batch. I've got all the laser files done and have cut a few prototypes but haven't had time to fully productize it. The biggest issue actually was packaging with the huge wing so I split it in half and keylocked everything. One of my test builders just suggested splitting the fuselage fully so you can build most of it inverted flat on a table for alignment. I added fuselage keylocks specifically because I had a lot of trouble properly aligning the fuselage around the wing as designed. They do fly well with the 13" CG. I've been focusing on my EPP Spitfire and just did the prototype paint this week. I'm sure I'll have some of each in the booth

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
If you're talking about Leadfeather's 3D Delta I can't recommend that plane enough. If he gave you the go-ahead to kit it I think you'd sell quite a few - the thread on that design has been going on seemingly forever. I think mine was the first set up for night flying (at least the first shared on the thread) and it's a great all-around plane. Mine is more tuned for sport than 3D, but it's very nimble and a blast to fly. I put a Graupner folder on it to avoid the O-ring and prop saver - much less frustrating.

I did essentially what you mentioned - I routed a channel in one side of the KF airfoil and laid the LEDs in there. I did something similar with the fuse, but added 3mm EPP doublers to give it a little more strength and more places for LEDs. Worked out extremely well

Rob
Aug 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
i'm bringing my small wing, my large wing, and a high wing trainer called a Sparky, all lit up!!!
the Sparky has a ton of flashing, strobes and chasing lights on it...the Sparky has a 35 inch w/s