Aug 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hi Pat,
So is this a whole new release? Should be great!
Ray
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Fuselage Frame

Got the remaining structure done, then bent the landing gear to shape. The front strut was assembled over the plans, then clamped to the mount beams and the rear strut adjusted and soldered in place. Once that was done, the door and window frames were framed.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Thread OP

Moving On to the Wings

Framing the wings began by fitting the ribs on the spars. The parts were then pinned over the plans and the jury strut mounts, Servo mount, leading and trailing edges and the tip bows added. This time, the tip bows are laser cut to the proper taper, so trimming will be much easier.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the First Wing Panel

Once the basic frame was done, the top stringer and sheeting was added, followed by the Aileron. The wing was then removed and the lift strut mounts added and the wing sanded to shape.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thread OP

Building the Other wing

The second panel went together just like the first, but this one was easier because the boo-boo's had been located and corrected.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:07 AM
Thread OP

Adding a Bit of Cockpit Detail

Normally I don't get carried away with detail on a p-type, but this time it's a Cub, and it's a pretty sure bet it'll fly well, so thought I'd add a cockpit on this one.

The bagage tub was made up from file folder paper and glued into the frame. It's shallower then scale, but room for the servos was a factor, so faking it was the best option.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:10 AM
Thread OP

Moving On....

I tried to cover the inside, but getting the iron in there, and the lack of attachment points in critical areas made getting it even remotely right just wasn't going to happen, so figured I'd paint the frame so it was less obvious..... Then once the frame was painted the servos were added.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Seats and Floor Board

The back seat is also not quite scale, again dictated by the servos but still better then nothing. The front seat was built up from balsa, plastic rod and depron sheet. The back seat is also made from depron sheet and glued in place using the servo r4ails as a support. The floor board was then cut from Depron and fitted into the frame on balsa rails to make a channel to run the motor wiring to be hidden under.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thread OP

More Detail: Now It's Taking on a Life of its Own....

The control column and rudder pedals were added next, made up from plastic rod and tube....
Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
Thread OP

A Slight Change of Direction

OK, the cockpit parts are done and fitted and it's time to add the throttles, fuel valve, and trim crank. It was then that I realized that I just couldn't fake it, so the inside of the cabin was faced off with file folder paper. It took awhile to trim and fit the side panels, but in the end it was definitely worth the effort.....
Aug 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Last of the Details

The controls were built up from bass wood, styrene and pins. The cabanes are made from small fondu skewers and painted black The floor board was glued in place followed by the control column and the front seats.

Now that the cockpit is done it's time to start running in the control systems in preperation for cover. Still need to make up the scale gas tank and IP, but by comparison to the rest that'll be easy, so say tuned, it won't be long now.....

PAT
Aug 20, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Hi Pat,
So is this a whole new release? Should be great!
Ray
Ray, Yes, this is a brand new design from the ground up. Will offer the Short Kits as soon as she's finished and flown.

PAT
Aug 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.

Additional interior detail needed - ash tray

Lovely,

I really like the interior. It really sets this Cub apart.

Will there be an ashtray on the floor for the use of the scale pilot who cannot be seen because he is picking up the cigar he dropped on each fly by?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Best,
Robert
Aug 20, 2012, 10:47 AM
OMG, your starting to add interior detail, oh well this is a 60" wing . Should be a beaut and a scale-like flier.
Aug 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Looking good! Looking forward to seeing the 60" Super Cub too, and would probably have bought one as soon as it is released but I just got your 53" Super Cub for my Birthday. I hope to start that soon, and will try do a build thread. I have a pile of balsa coming from National Balsa, though of course I forgot to buy 1/4" ply to build the wing mounting jig.

Quick Reply