Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
New Product

Brand New J-3 at 60"

OK Guys, word is probably out by now that I am a big fan of the venurable old J-3 Cub. After all, I grew up in the front seat of one and have never turned down a ride in one at any point in time since.

And I know too, that it would be a toss up as to wheather it was the Cub or the Mustang that tops the charts as the worlds most over-modeled airplane -- but there's a reason for that, they fly great and the market-place loves them.

But here's the deal: My old 60" Cub has been shooting landings in 5 states now for right at 10 years, and the old gal is just about worn out! I could strip and recover the model, but after giving that some serious thought, I decided that starting over would be the best bet for several reasons:

First, it's an old design, and I've learned a thing or two over the years about acuracy and simplicity, so in search of the perfect Cub thought it best to start from scratch and do it up right.

This time, the outline is a bit more accurate in that it was done by dimention rather then simply relying on 3 views. The wings will also plug in which will make for much easier transport where disassembly is necessary. The cabin doors will open so the battery will be easy to access, or for those who wish to add a cockpit, it'll be a breeze to work on.

This design will also offer a 3 piece cowl that will assemble just like the full scale, and the engine details will be far more accurate then the original -- no seems to fill!

And finally, a new airfoil very similar to the full scale USA 35B modified will be used rather then the original flat bottom section on the older design. All in all, it should make for a very scale looking and flying model. But the best part is that the J-3 is the prelude to a 60" Super Cub that will be done as soon as this one is proven to fly. So stay tuned, the build is already underway.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:45 AM

Starting with the Cowl

The cowl plug was carved from blue foam and will be on its way to Sparky this week. It'll be done in 3 sections -- top, bottom, and nose bowl, so no seem repair will be required to build it.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:47 AM

Staring with the Fuselage....

The left and right sides are built up over the plans, and because the cabin door will open, they're different, and both framing drawings will be provided on the plans to keep it simple.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:51 AM

Joining the Sides

It all begins with the LG mount beams. The beams are pinned to the plans and the inner gussets added. The sides are glued in place against the beams followed by the top cabin formers. The tail post is aligned and glued together using machinists squares to keep it all in line.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:53 AM

Finishing the Frame

The frame is removed from the board and the remaining formers and cross pieces added. From there, all of the stringers and outfill are added to pretty well complete the basic frame.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:57 AM

Moving Towards the Tail

The tail section is done next. Bowed outlines were made up and the parts framed in the usual fashion -- nothing complicated here, so figured I'd get them done up first, then move onto the side doors, LG, and then on to the wings.

PAT
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
Hi Pat
Looking good.

Just when I thought I'd gotten over Cubs - after a GP Electri-Cub, a Sig 1/5th J3, a Sig 1/6th clipwing and a 16" span lo-cal rubber powered FF Super Cub - you dangle this under my nose. The only issue I had with the smaller Sig was that it was a hefty and ancient structure...

Or maybe as I have a clue what my surprise birthday present from Spousal Unit will be , maybe I'll wait for the Super Cub for a change. I never was very good at making dummy engines

Definitely agree on the plug-in wings, opening doors for battery hatch and adding some level of cockpit. Now, about that scale sprung UC ...

Regards
Dereck
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
My 6 year old Tritle C-140 has become too heavy and quirky flying with repairs. I'm fixing wing ribs and fuselage parts that have been fixed at least twice before. Got lots of stuff in the queue but will have to build another C-140 before too long.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Ya-freaking-hoo!!!
Hurry up, want need one, gotta get one. Then the Super Cub.
What kind of AUW you shooting for?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by bdshort
Sweet! Just when I ask my GF for your 53" Super Cub for a birthday present, you tell me you have a bigger one in the works!

After that, about bout the Aeronca Sedan?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Veni Vidi Volavi
Whew, a new Pat Tritle build thread!! Was going thru withdrawl symptoms as Pat has been absent from the forums lately. Was getting ready to send out an APB on him!!! Glad to see him back in action. Will be watching closely. really need to get the AgCat and AgWagon done and start on the Luscombe!!

So many Pat T planes, so little time!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vini Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
FWIW, Yep, there's just no getting past it, there's always room for another Cub

Dereck, Looks like you thought you could beat the system hugh? Truth is, you just can't get over that terminal illness that is brought on simply by the existence of The CUB!

PAT
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Yankeeone
OK Pat, WHY did you not out-line the "D"window with a laminate as I did on your 53" Cub/L-4???? Would be much more scale looking as is NOT hard to do. Just a thought................

Looks VERY nice. Thought about scartching up another 53" but may need to wait for this one. I LIKE CUBS!!!!!!!!

TTFN The Yank
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Hey Pat,

I'll be watching every move!!

Maybe a Cub is in my future, never built one so I suppose it's about time.

I don't think Cub's had flaps, would there be any reason to add them if you just wanted to have something to play with?

Bill
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Yankeeone
Hey Smudge. The standard Cub did not have flaps but the Super Cub did. May want 'till Pat does that and put flaps in.

The Yank

BTW, a Cub is a must for any stable of planes.