Feb 13, 2013, 08:53 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneagleswings
The way I mounted mine and what the manual calls for is for the plywood to be mounted straight to the motor and you don't even use a X mount. The plywood takes the place of the x-mount and then it attaches to the fuse.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=5105475
St 10 must use an x mount.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2013, 09:05 PM
That's a funny word
I see JohnathonSwift beat me to it.

We can't really do that with the ST .10 because it's X plate is necessary for mounting. Two of the 4 bolts will all but line up with the firewall and no adapter plate. OR one can also make a plywood adapter and cut off the offending ear. This puts the motor "almost" in the stock position.

Here's a bonus, the motor from the sensei is a possible "contender"
Feb 13, 2013, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio
I see JohnathonSwift beat me to it.

We can't really do that with the ST .10 because it's X plate is necessary for mounting. Two of the 4 bolts will all but line up with the firewall and no adapter plate. OR one can also make a plywood adapter and cut off the offending ear. This puts the motor "almost" in the stock position.

Here's a bonus, the motor from the sensei is a possible "contender"
Ah, my recycle pile has the 950kv version of the same motor, now discontinued!
Feb 13, 2013, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift
St 10 must use an x mount.
From the website it looks like it does and the X mount mounts to the motor with a hex screw? it's a thin motor too! I should've looked it up before I posted. It's definitely going to need some modifying for the cowl to fit right.
Feb 13, 2013, 09:14 PM
That's a funny word
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift
Ah, my recycle pile has the 950kv version of the same motor, now discontinued!
http://www.supertigre.com/electric-power/motors.html This 400? OR was there a .10 with 950 kv?

I have a box of 4 ruined ST .10 from my flyzone switch. I figure they will hold up in this mini-contender.
Feb 13, 2013, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
http://www.supertigre.com/electric-power/motors.html This 400? OR was there a .10 with 950 kv?

I have a box of 4 ruined ST .10 from my flyzone switch. I figure they will hold up in this mini-contender.
Prior rimfire was 950.
Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:

They WAY over-rate the motor....

The version in the F4U is the same and mine has held up really well. So I am happy.

Mike
Feb 14, 2013, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
They WAY over-rate the motor....

The version in the F4U is the same and mine has held up really well. So I am happy.

Mike
Which, mike?
Feb 14, 2013, 12:21 PM
Sorry the ST .10. But it is a great <230w motor not 320+ as they say.
Feb 14, 2013, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Ole donk's showed, today and I give it four Hee, haws out of five owing to minor wrinkles.
Hee,haw. Hee, haw. Hee, haw. Hee, haw.
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Feb 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Feb 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Mine arrived today. Easily the most hideous covering job I've ever seen.

Determined to shrink it up or just destroy the plane - I got out the household iron and cranked it up to blazing hot. Within 10 minutes I had every wrinkle out - including all the red.

Someone described it as playing "heat gun chicken" and that's about right. It's right on the verge of melting when it finally draws up - but it will.

I'll get some assembly time in soon and report back; but so far I'm pretty happy with it.
Feb 15, 2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Mine arrived today. Easily the most hideous covering job I've ever seen.

Determined to shrink it up or just destroy the plane - I got out the household iron and cranked it up to blazing hot. Within 10 minutes I had every wrinkle out - including all the red.

Someone described it as playing "heat gun chicken" and that's about right. It's right on the verge of melting when it finally draws up - but it will.

I'll get some assembly time in soon and report back; but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

It's definitely heat gun chicken alright! I couldn't get all the wrinkles out of the red on mine because I chickened out, lol. You will love the way it flies though. I flew mine in a pretty good breeze today along with my Mini Ultra Stick and it by far handled the wind better than the MUS.
Feb 17, 2013, 01:42 AM
Finally FINALLY built my Contender with the stock hardware (I question that decision since I don't trust the wheel collars on the push rods - temp CAed them but should solder them soon). Wheel collars also get in the way of the wing bolt too. Yuck.

My electronics:

EMP 35xx-1400kv motor
8x6 SF prop
30A ESC (from Millenium Master)
Tactic RX (also from MM)
Fylzone 3s 1800mah (also from MM)
AUW - 832g

Everything balances perfectly and under the watt meter seems to be within spec. Should have good power on the maiden today or tomorrow.

P.S FYI my Millenium Master is still flying after 2 horrific crashes and a frankenstein-ed motor mount. Foamies are tough buggers.
Feb 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
That's a funny word
Thanks voxel, I was just going to question about balance since I wanted my RX further back instead of in the box. That sounds like a good set-up. Same battery I plan to use. I think those stock rods/collars are bulky , but they should be fine.

Checked CG and all is well with 3sx1800 all the way forward. My RX is mounted above the CG under the top canopy.
Last edited by gulio; Feb 17, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Feb 17, 2013, 04:11 PM
That's a funny word
Preliminary watt test with soggy cold battery and cheap 1000 kv motor.

9x5 prop 10.59 v x 15.15 a = 160 watt
9.2x9.47 prop 10.59v x 17.03 a = 180 watt

I guess I have ran out of 9x6 GP SF props. Are most using the APC 9x6? or the GP SF 9x6?
Last edited by gulio; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply