Aug 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
An Ordinary User
I fly my SlowStick in light rain. My battery and servos are under the main wing and the ESC, motor, and Rx are out front in the open. I like to use the OrangeRx "DSM2 compatible" receivers on the SS because the hard case is easily held in place with rubber bands. Plus, it protects it from rain and wet grass.

The ESC is protected and the motor doesn't care so long as it isn't submerged in water to the point of causing a dead short between the wires (brushed motor).

Of course, I wipe residual water off the electrics when I put it away to prevent corrosion more than anything else.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Quote:
I didn't read all this, but , what's the point? Electric and water...come on...... not a Good Idea!!! If it looks like a >>>>> it's a >>>>>>.....ZEE
I think the biggest problem here is that you didn't read all this

Electricity mixed with water actually isn't as huge of a problem as mass media will have you believe ("cell phone + bathtub = death" and other such nonsense). For what we're working with, the only real significant risk is that of damage to electronic components due to corrosion and/or mineral deposits that are left by the water and not the actual H2O itself. These issues are relatively simple to solve.

There's a product out there called CorrosionX that you can use to protect electronic components from corrosion and such. Some say it literally allows you to dunk your ESC in a puddle and have it come out fine; I wouldn't want to test the theory but it sounds like good stuff.
Aug 13, 2012, 07:19 PM

Flying in the rain

I've flown in a steady(Not hard) rain for a good 5 minutes with no ill effect on anything other than after 5 minutes I began to notice the aircraft starting to get a little sluggish as it was getting wetter and thus heavier as the battery was running down. No acrobatics I would think.
Aug 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
While light sprinkles of rain shouldn't hurt, I'd wait. Water and electronics do not mix, nor does water and electric current. All it would take is enough to get into your lipo plug and short the connection to cause a fire or damage your electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
I think the biggest problem here is that you didn't read all this

Electricity mixed with water actually isn't as huge of a problem as mass media will have you believe ("cell phone + bathtub = death" and other such nonsense). For what we're working with, the only real significant risk is that of damage to electronic components due to corrosion and/or mineral deposits that are left by the water and not the actual H2O itself. These issues are relatively simple to solve.

There's a product out there called CorrosionX that you can use to protect electronic components from corrosion and such. Some say it literally allows you to dunk your ESC in a puddle and have it come out fine; I wouldn't want to test the theory but it sounds like good stuff.
While I agree a cell phone and bathtub won't equal death (we are talking a minimal amount of current with a cell battery) depending on the lipo you may be talking some serious amperage. A 12 volt car battery is enough to shock the snot out of you if you are wet, I've done it while jumping my car battery after surfing and touched the terminals. Got a nice jolt that made me jump and swear.

The important thing with water is to remember it is a conductor of electricity. If you would sit in a bath and drop a lipo in with you, I'd say go fly. If you wouldn't then don't fly.

I've too much invested to risk 1 time in the rain, no matter how light the shower is. It's just not worth it. It's akin to flying on a day too windy.
Aug 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee
I didn't read all this, but , what's the point? Electric and water...come on...... not a Good Idea!!! If it looks like a >>>>> it's a >>>>>>.....ZEE
Haha point is that it has been raining the last 4 days in a row and I have a fresh scratchbuilt plane I've been waiting to put up in the air. It was only sprinkling earlier...Had a nice flight even though it was raining. Happy to report no problems with the water
Aug 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
I have flown in rain, snow without any problems. I can not say I soaked my planes but I flew for a day in a lite sprinkle. No harm done.

Zee, might want to look back how we used to break in our electric motor's. we would put them in a tub of water let them run to set the brushes. The water kept them cool and flushed away the debris. No problems, so it does mix.

Brushed Motor Water Break In Method (6 min 32 sec)

Chances are, you will get more water in the Tx then inside the plane.

Buzz.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
Yep. I know it's time to land when the sticks are getting wet.
Aug 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
Suspended Account
The water drops add to much weight, at least to the planes I'm flying. But living in FL it happens never experienced any known repercussion from rain water. Flying in the middle of the Everglades I had a few water rescues. I have a pickling routine when that happens. Never lost an ESC, Rx, or motor and most servos have made it. The servos that didn't make I think were the cause of the crash.
Aug 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
Greediest Suer
I have flown in the rain often. I cover the ESC and Rx with those balloons from the bathroom at the gas station.
Aug 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
If you think that water is going to hurt your motors or the water on your plane will render it too heavy, you need to go watch a float fly some time. I've got one of mine, a twin, that kicks up so much water on take off that I couldn't get it any wetter if I sprayed it down with a hose. It hasn't affected it's performance in the least. I do have the ESCs wrapped in a balloon to protect them. The first flight with it the ESCs weren't wrapped and the ESCs got water on them but I still had a successful flight. Went to fly a second flight and one motor didn't want to run properly due to the water in the ESC. I let it dry out for 5 days and then everything worked fine. I've seen float planes nose over on landing and stay that way for a good 5 minutes until they are rescued only to have the motor that was totally submerged work just fine right afterwards.
Aug 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster
If you think that water is going to hurt your motors or the water on your plane will render it too heavy, you need to go watch a float fly some time. I've got one of mine, a twin, that kicks up so much water on take off that I couldn't get it any wetter if I sprayed it down with a hose. It hasn't affected it's performance in the least. I do have the ESCs wrapped in a balloon to protect them. The first flight with it the ESCs weren't wrapped and the ESCs got water on them but I still had a successful flight. Went to fly a second flight and one motor didn't want to run properly due to the water in the ESC. I let it dry out for 5 days and then everything worked fine. I've seen float planes nose over on landing and stay that way for a good 5 minutes until they are rescued only to have the motor that was totally submerged work just fine right afterwards.
That I can see, but what about your transmitter? I'm still not willing to risk a $400 piece of equipment for a day of flying, it's not worth it.
Aug 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik
That I can see, but what about your transmitter? I'm still not willing to risk a $400 piece of equipment for a day of flying, it's not worth it.
Totally agree with you on the transmitter, I wouldn't want any kind of moisture getting on it.
Aug 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik
You don't need to be buyjng a $400 dollar transmitter to begin with. The FlySky radios from HobbyPartz are great (best transmitter I have had in 40 years and I paid under $60.00 for it delivered.) Receivers are 9 bucks for the 6 channels, but you have to save up bigtime to get the 9 channel Rx at 12 bucks!

But, (tongue in cheek) since you know you might crash often and know that having a trash bag in your vehicle to collect the shards is a good idea, put it to a good use over your Tx.

One last comment. Note the comments of the float/seaplane dude... those puppies get soaked often and survive.

I often fly early in the morning (real early) when the relative humidity is in the 90's... my planes come down soaked with condensed moisture on 'em. I recharge the batteries and "do it again" without issues.

Kudos for "thinking". Thumbs down for being a <deleted>
Aug 15, 2012, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I have flown in rain, snow without any problems. I can not say I soaked my planes but I flew for a day in a lite sprinkle. No harm done.

Zee, might want to look back how we used to break in our electric motor's. we would put them in a tub of water let them run to set the brushes. The water kept them cool and flushed away the debris. No problems, so it does mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G25Q1fI8zEw

Buzz.

Nice!
Aug 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
Way back when in the 60s, I was flying a 2 channel plane (no throttle) with an .049 Cox motor for power, when it started to rain. No way to shut the throttle down, so jumped in my buddies Volkswagen Bug and flew the tank out with the ant. sticking out the window.

Gord.

Quick Reply