Mar 01, 2015, 04:33 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykate
Got an order in and was anxious to get my Walrus in the air. Noted many of the comments in this section. Everything went together just fine until I noticed I had a slight problem. Can anyone see it in the photo?

RMA time.
How unlucky!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2015, 07:41 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Got an order in and was anxious to get my Walrus in the air. Noted many of the comments in this section. Everything went together just fine until I noticed I had a slight problem. Can anyone see it in the photo?

RMA time.
oops.

Contact HK and file a warranty claim. They'll send you the other wing panel.
Mar 01, 2015, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357
oops.

Contact HK and file a warranty claim. They'll send you the other wing panel.
Yep. That is what the RMA time comment meant.

Unfortunately, they don't have another wing and are requesting one from their supplier. It will be weeks before it is straightened out. I put the plane on a high shelf and will move on.
Mar 01, 2015, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Yep. That is what the RMA time comment meant.

Unfortunately, they don't have another wing and are requesting one from their supplier. It will be weeks before it is straightened out. I put the plane on a high shelf and will move on.
That's a bunch of Bull!! They should send you a new plane. I liked dealing with HK but not any more!! Buck
Mar 01, 2015, 10:11 AM
Argh, that is a shame. If it gets sorted, the plane is worth of waiting. I love it. Though I did unintentionally the first plough this spring. But no real harm, just need to straighten the nose with a a hairdryer
Mar 02, 2015, 12:29 AM
what goes up, must come down..
I'd be trying to find 2 right wings.
I see a Wally biplane in the making

I concur with the guys though, the Walrus is a sweet bird, worth persevering with
Mar 02, 2015, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot
That's a bunch of Bull!! They should send you a new plane. I liked dealing with HK but not any more!! Buck
What they should, and could do , is take a wing from a kit & send that to you. Then put the replacement wing back in that kit when they get it.
HK honestly dont give a rats arse. Its a pitty, as they really do have some fantastic product, but their attitude is putting a lot of potential buyers off. Their reputation is pretty much trashed.

On the other hand... the Wally is sooooo cheap, you could buy 2 or 3 & still be cheaper than many similar planes.
Mar 05, 2015, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
What they should, and could do , is take a wing from a kit & send that to you. Then put the replacement wing back in that kit when they get it.
HK honestly dont give a rats arse.
I had not heard back from them so I tried most of these options, which also included ordering another airplane at my cost if they would help with the shipping and I would return the current one or wait on the part. I also contacted the HK rep here (HobbyKingCSNYC) and got no answer although the message was read. HK has refused to help and insisted on waiting two to four weeks. They could not give me a status on the part.

My alternative now is to file a PayPal complaint before 30 days are up so I can have protection.

I have ordered a number of things from HK - and have had a couple of other issues such as in-stock items taking more than a week to ship when I ordered it by priority mail - I ended up cancelling that item since it never made it out of the 'printed' stage. I guess they are trying to tell me something. I can do without a Walrus - this is way too much hassle.
Mar 11, 2015, 06:52 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!

"Hood scoop" air induction cooling

After reading thru this entire thread, passing the time until the snow melts, you've all taught me many good things about my new Walrus as I prep it for this summer. It's not fully assembled yet, but I think I've addressed all the known shortcomings, including my take on the modified spoon air duct idea. As an experiment, I cut a new canopy window from a sheet of lexan (learned here), cut a vent hole in it, painted the back side black (learned during my R/C car body days), then hot glued the "hood scoop" over the vent (inspired by my fondness for muscle cars). Of course, I cut another vent in the canopy cover, just below the scoop. Whaddaya think? Not sure if I'll need to enlarge any of the vents for better air flow, but I figured this is better than nothing, and I'll try it first. But it's gonna be a while yet before I put her in the air. It's still too cold and snowy/wet here for me.
Mar 12, 2015, 02:41 AM
Looking good Knight Owl, she does and can get pretty hot in there so anything helps...well done...
Mar 12, 2015, 09:28 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPrior
Looking good Knight Owl, she does and can get pretty hot in there so anything helps...well done...
Thanks, Rich. I'm really looking forward to getting this bird in the air. Since it's my first "glider", I'm also looking forward to learning more about flying with camber, crow, and reflex. But before getting too deeply into that, it sounds like I should upgrade the ESC or add a separate BEC. Regardless, it looks like additional venting will benefit any electronics in there.
Mar 13, 2015, 03:02 AM
Yeah i haven't posted for a bit but i didn't have a great deal of luck with my first Walrus kit and just couldn't get it to fly......but then i bought a second kit and the stock motor went on the first flight......so after a motor update/upgrade she now fly's really well, when i updated the motor i also changed to a bigger Esc but it still gets warm in there so in my opinion it does need added venting....

In my opinion again, for a basic easy to fly glider she isn't as stable as an Easy Star2 but then again she is about 25% of the price.....

Good Luck

Rich
Mar 13, 2015, 08:44 AM
25+ years of RC flying
I went fishing yesterday. Considered taking my Walrus but the breeze was too stiff for good video at 10mph and I wasn't really in a flying frame of mind.

Should have brought it along anyway because about 40 minutes before sundown the wind dropped to zero and the lake surface went as flat and calm as glass. Would have been able to capture some nice video then. Sun going down, clouds coloring the sky, nice.

Might bring it along next time!
Mar 13, 2015, 01:53 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357
I went fishing yesterday. Considered taking my Walrus but the breeze was too stiff for good video at 10mph and I wasn't really in a flying frame of mind.

Should have brought it along anyway because about 40 minutes before sundown the wind dropped to zero and the lake surface went as flat and calm as glass. Would have been able to capture some nice video then. Sun going down, clouds coloring the sky, nice.

Might bring it along next time!

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE IT WITH YOU UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO CHURCH
Mar 13, 2015, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE IT WITH YOU UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO CHURCH
I don't know how about Malta, but in my country the church is almost always on a higher place in the country, typically on a small hill. So, there are many nice places around churches to fly. Why not to take her to the church then?

Quick Reply