Apr 27, 2014, 07:05 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
I don't think the esc is a problem on recent Walruses mine never got hot even when I flew it with bigger props than stock.
With my 10x8 prop the amp draw was just over 28a on 3s and it was making things a tad to warm and that is the reason I went to 2s. Just for the hell of it I had a small comp with a mate who runs his Walrus stock standard, the rules were get as high as you can on the motor for 30 seconds and see how long you can stay in the air gliding, for me the interesting thing is I have lost no climbing ability compared to the standard on 3s and my glide time was consistently double and a bit more time in the air, the only trade off was it high wind ability has been reduced, but I still can put a heavier battery in it

Shaun,
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2014, 06:59 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
What are the weak points of this plane?

Which parts should be exchanged for better ones?

Just asking before ordering the plane to get the needed parts from HK as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Uwe
I did end up replacing the ESC on my Walrus before the first flight. Dunno if it failed due to my efforts on setting up a remotely operated light switch or not. I replaced it with this one from HeadsUpHobby: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...-BEC-H-100.htm

And I also widened the motor opening into a larger funnel shape to aid in cooling. Haven't had any problems with the electronics at all when flying.

And here's the video that took so long to process. I edited it down from nearly 14 minutes long to just under 2 minutes now. Pretty boring but it does have both forward and aft views as seen from the Walrus. Quite gusty that day so the video bounces a bit.

Hobbyking Walrus and Parkzone Stryker (1 min 58 sec)
Apr 28, 2014, 07:31 AM
Good video again, what camera are you using?
Thanks
Rich
Apr 28, 2014, 07:44 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
I would say he is using the Mobius Camera for his forward view, I have the mobius and it is a great picture quality for the price, very close to the GoPro in quality.

Shaun,
Apr 28, 2014, 09:05 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPrior
Good video again, what camera are you using?
Thanks
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog
I would say he is using the Mobius Camera for his forward view, I have the mobius and it is a great picture quality for the price, very close to the GoPro in quality.

Shaun,
Correct! I have the Mobius as my forward view and a #808 keychain camera Version 9, with a wide angle lens glued on, as my aft view.

The Mobius is an awesome cam. Great picture, cheaper and smaller and lighter than a Go Pro.
Apr 28, 2014, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357
Correct! I have the Mobius as my forward view and a #808 keychain camera Version 9, with a wide angle lens glued on, as my aft view.

The Mobius is an awesome cam. Great picture, cheaper and smaller and lighter than a Go Pro.
Thanks guys, do any of you do FPV and if so have you used it as your main camera..??
Apr 28, 2014, 03:11 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Me personally no, but others have and with great success.
Have a look here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1904559 it is a large thread but the first eight post's are worth a read.

Shaun,
Apr 28, 2014, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Me personally no, but others have and with great success.
Have a look here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1904559 it is a large thread but the first eight post's are worth a read.

Shaun,
Thanks Shaun
Apr 28, 2014, 04:27 PM
Greetings fellow Walrus (Walri?) owners. Stumbled upon this thread earlier today when trying to source a new motor for my Walrus. A great thread with lots of useful information.

I have had my Walrus for almost a year now and have been very happy with it in general. Last week after heading out for a day of flying, I lost sight of my beloved Walrus. White glider, white clouds and crazy thermals resulted in my Walrus making a run for it. After 3 days of searching, I had given up with trying to locate it and was prepared to order another one and make some modifications to it. Well yesterday I received a phone call from a very nice fellow who had stumbled across my Walrus basking in the sun on the seaside. Thank goodness for having identification on my models. After reuniting with my Walrus, I took him home for some much needed TLC. Structurally it seemed okay with the wings looking a bit wonky and the motor dripping some rather unpleasant smelling water but not looking all that bad. I have now since had the motor removed for a test and it is a goner so decided that if it was to be replaced, I was going to do a full revamp of her and make some modifications that others had suggested.

I have a spare NTM 26-36 750kv and spinner assembly from a previous build that I decided to change around as well as a nice shiny new 40a esc to go with it. A 10x6 CF folding prop will go nicely with the new motor setup.

So far I have stripped the Walrus down to its naked shell and sorted out some new hinges all around. Repaired the tailfeathers back to a straight and true position and repaired the wing retention system to correct WWS (wonky wing syndrome). Tomorrow I will start with some other modifications,including a hatch in the fuselage for easy access to my receiver and some venting holes as well.
Apr 28, 2014, 10:21 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Welcome aboard, I am glad you got her back, basking in the sun you say.......is there such a thing in England

Shaun,
Apr 29, 2014, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Welcome aboard, I am glad you got her back, basking in the sun you say.......is there such a thing in England

Shaun,
Welcome Skallywag, no Shaun it couldnt have been sun he must have been all hot and flustered looking for the runaway Walrus on the beach.....
Apr 29, 2014, 06:12 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallywag
Greetings fellow Walrus (Walri?) owners. Stumbled upon this thread earlier today when trying to source a new motor for my Walrus. A great thread with lots of useful information.

I have had my Walrus for almost a year now and have been very happy with it in general. Last week after heading out for a day of flying, I lost sight of my beloved Walrus. White glider, white clouds and crazy thermals resulted in my Walrus making a run for it. After 3 days of searching, I had given up with trying to locate it and was prepared to order another one and make some modifications to it. Well yesterday I received a phone call from a very nice fellow who had stumbled across my Walrus basking in the sun on the seaside. Thank goodness for having identification on my models. After reuniting with my Walrus, I took him home for some much needed TLC. Structurally it seemed okay with the wings looking a bit wonky and the motor dripping some rather unpleasant smelling water but not looking all that bad. I have now since had the motor removed for a test and it is a goner so decided that if it was to be replaced, I was going to do a full revamp of her and make some modifications that others had suggested.

I have a spare NTM 26-36 750kv and spinner assembly from a previous build that I decided to change around as well as a nice shiny new 40a esc to go with it. A 10x6 CF folding prop will go nicely with the new motor setup.

So far I have stripped the Walrus down to its naked shell and sorted out some new hinges all around. Repaired the tailfeathers back to a straight and true position and repaired the wing retention system to correct WWS (wonky wing syndrome). Tomorrow I will start with some other modifications,including a hatch in the fuselage for easy access to my receiver and some venting holes as well.
Welcome Skally that's the most beautiful Walrus I have ever seen Do you have a link to the spray you used?? cheers
Apr 29, 2014, 07:34 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Thanks guys, do any of you do FPV and if so have you used it as your main camera..??
I've not flown FPV and am not sure that I'll be getting into it in the future but I have seen videos online of folks using the Mobius for FPV.
Apr 30, 2014, 01:18 AM
Hi All

A few opinions please, i flew the walrus for 3 batteries last night and these were the next flights from its one and only maiden flight.

Now something i was experiencieng i saw on the maiden but didnt take too much notice of it is that in the turn with either rudder or aelirons she drops the nose quite alot so always needs alot of up elevator, im feeding up elavator as normal in the turn, but it is dropping alot more than im used to with my Easy *s

I have watched your guys videos and comments on here about how floaty it is but im not finding that, she is trimmed for level flight at about half throttle and when i either reduce throttle for landing or some lower passes she is dropping either well short with no float at all and catching me out or i have to full throttle her away and go round again.

Now the easy star does float on for ages and maybe im just use to that, also 9 out of 10 i can bring that into land by catching it.

Could this be i need to play with the COG (set 5mm back from servo wires at present) or is it just me...??...

Thanks for any help

Rich
Apr 30, 2014, 01:50 AM
Dinosaur
Quote:
Hi All

A few opinions please, i flew the walrus for 3 batteries last night and these were the next flights from its one and only maiden flight.

Now something i was experiencieng i saw on the maiden but didnt take too much notice of it is that in the turn with either rudder or aelirons she drops the nose quite alot so always needs alot of up elevator, im feeding up elavator as normal in the turn, but it is dropping alot more than im used to with my Easy *s

I have watched your guys videos and comments on here about how floaty it is but im not finding that, she is trimmed for level flight at about half throttle and when i either reduce throttle for landing or some lower passes she is dropping either well short with no float at all and catching me out or i have to full throttle her away and go round again.

Now the easy star does float on for ages and maybe im just use to that, also 9 out of 10 i can bring that into land by catching it.

Could this be i need to play with the COG (set 5mm back from servo wires at present) or is it just me...??...

Thanks for any help

Rich
G'Day Rich. I suspect you are used to a glider which is more like a real glider. 5mm aft of the servo leads won't have that much effect on the Walrus (I have flown with two keycams on the horizontal stab, and who knows how far aft the CoG is then?!) Mine has quite a large range of CoG movement without unduly affecting its performance. It descends as it glides but quite slowly for its relative weight. With full flaps, late in the final approach, she floats for ever, needing crow in light to nil wind to put it where I want it (only got a small landing area). Assuming your battery is near recommended capacity, I can't offer you much advice. Are you keeping the speed a few knots above stall as you glide? Too slow when gliding, it will have a tendency to stall gently, without much elevator input, and lower its nose, particularly in turns. Up to about 25degrees you shouldn't need elevator input, over that you will.You might like to double check the tail plane incidence. Other than that, its a great little machine.

Quick Reply