Mar 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
Hi, by 15% @ 60% D/R I meant I had 15% expo with 60% dual rates. 65% is too much IMO at any dual rates setting.

hope this helps,

I think I may have even posted my Tx set-up much earlier in the thread if you look back through it.

S.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
found it:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=55
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Mar 30, 2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks Stuart! Very helpful.
Apr 10, 2013, 08:13 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
Buddy code for Walrus prop assy!https://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...F-0D530ED81289
Apr 12, 2013, 03:22 AM
Here is a good video link for the Walrus.....

Ep 44 Review: The Hobbyking Walrus - Part B: Flying (6 min 56 sec)
Apr 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
So I maidened my Walrus today and overall I was very impressed! I actually had hesitations because despite the forecast calling for 5 mph winds, it was actually about 10-15 mph winds. It was pre-frontal with intermittent gusts. Not the greatest weather for maidening a plane, and if I had had my Cox Sky Cruiser, I probably would have packed up and gone home. BTW, this is my flight with an aileron plane. My previous experience consists of about 30 flights with my Cox Sky Cruiser, 10 flights with my Firebird Stratos, 1 flight with my Radian, and about 5 hours of simulator time.

I did a couple of very short launches and landings to trim the airplane. I first launched it at half throttle, but that wasn't enough to keep it in level flight. I bumped it to 2/3rds and that seemed to be perfect to keep the plane slowly rising. Once it was about 20 feet in the air, I really gassed it and it climbed near vertical to altitude, which didn't take very long at all. I made trim adjustments on the short flights and actually turned it on to high rates. I just wasn't getting the elevator response I wanted at low rates. So, everything was set for 100% for the rest of the flight. And that was just fine.

I stalled it a couple of times (I think). Stall recovery was very gentle and very smooth. Turns were effortless. The roll rate is very manageable. One thing that really surprised me was how well it glided off power. Most videos I've seen are with people flying at 50% or above throttle.

Once I got comfortable, I did a few tight loops. Again, nothing dramatic. I forgot to do rolls because I'd never flown an aileron plane. I will give it a go on the next calm day. Then, I tried the flaps out. I had never deployed flaps, so I didn't know what to expect. At first, the plane rose about 5-10 feet, but the pitch didn't seem to be affected. It was like an invisible hand just pulled the plane up as it was flying along. Once it settled, it flew to nearly a crawl. It was still stable and I had to add a touch of down elevator on final approach to keep it from falling out of the sky. But the plane gives pretty clear signals when it's about to stall near the ground.

Overall, I had about 10 launches and landings. Once I got over my initial fear, the plane really took on a very docile and easy going personality. It's very tame when you want it to be, but it can play too. I'm really looking forward to spending more time with the Walrus and I will order a backup.

I'm not sure if it's the ideal plane for a beginner because it's kind of heavy and that will mean more broken parts if it's crashed. As an aileron trainer or as a stepping stone for faster airplanes, I think it's ideal.
Apr 15, 2013, 02:43 AM
Dinosaur
Maidened mine also today (10Kts wind). With 2200mAh battery I needed full nose down trim for hands of flight - probably because I cut an access hatch on the bottom of the fuselage to mount the Rx and its satellite in the hollow fuselage just aft of CofG. Set lift flap at 20degrees and landing flap at 70degrees. Everything else stock standard. Two 30min flights with it handling like a dream (had set D/R at 90 percent anticipating a slower roll rate) and it executed all aeros quite acceptably including inverted loops etc. Glides forever! With the big landing flap selected on short finals, it needed just a smidge of power to land very slowly almost level with me and stop in about 6 feet! An excellent plane which I feel is OK for beginners (I ain't an expert by any standard!).
Apr 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
OD123ify Snake

Walrus

Hobbyking Walrus Glider 1400mm Maiden SNAKE (6 min 48 sec)

Glad to see this thread still going strong
Apr 20, 2013, 04:31 AM
Dinosaur
Put another 10 flights on the Walrus today. On the 9th flight I noticed a change in engine note on launch, but kept going as most of the flight was gliding in 20Kt gusty winds (about 12mins). On one of the loops, the canopy parted company at about 100 feet, but didn't affect performance. Noticed the same noise on the last launch, so I circuited and landed. Checking the spinner / motor, I noticed it was fairly loose. Back in the hanger I found the motor was attached by only one loose screw! Found two loose in the fuselage, never found the fourth. The aircraft now has about 60 flights on it and never had a hard landing or crash. Lesson learned - check the motor mounts every flight! (screws now hot glued)
Apr 23, 2013, 06:08 PM
Dinosaur
Anyone out there got a link for rudder/elevator servo arms? Broke one getting battery out.
Apr 27, 2013, 09:40 PM
OD123ify Snake

Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12
Put another 10 flights on the Walrus today. On the 9th flight I noticed a change in engine note on launch, but kept going as most of the flight was gliding in 20Kt gusty winds (about 12mins). On one of the loops, the canopy parted company at about 100 feet, but didn't affect performance. Noticed the same noise on the last launch, so I circuited and landed. Checking the spinner / motor, I noticed it was fairly loose. Back in the hanger I found the motor was attached by only one loose screw! Found two loose in the fuselage, never found the fourth. The aircraft now has about 60 flights on it and never had a hard landing or crash. Lesson learned - check the motor mounts every flight! (screws now hot glued)

Yes I mentioned the motor mounts on my youtube video
only took 3 flights for mine to loosen.
Apr 28, 2013, 07:58 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
As soon as I got my Walrus I removed each motor mount screw and applied threadloc and reinstalled the screws. Many flights and no problem yet!
May 11, 2013, 12:42 AM
Rogue User
Maidened my Walrus this morning, put through 6 batteries and was quite pleased with how it flew.

I had two of the motor screws fall out on the second flight, but I put them back with some loctite and no more problems.
May 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Hey all, new user here! I've bought the Walrus as my first RC plane. Been practicing on simulators and getting decent enough to not crash all the time!

I'm having real problems getting the motor to work though. I think I may have put the ESC into the wrong mode somehow, as initially the prop would spin up to full power when you increased the throttle a little bit, and then reduce to what seemed like about 10%, regardless of where the throttle position was. At first I thought it was maybe a transmitter problem, so I switched to mode 1 to see if the other stick would work it. Now I get nothing at all from the throttle in either mode! All other control surfaces work as expected.

I've tried to re-program the ESC, but if I power up with the throttle fully up, all I get is the ESC continuously beeping at me, it doesnt follow any of the patterns mentioned in the manual, just beeps at a constant rate until you put the throttle down.

If I power up with no throttle, I get one single beep, and thats all.

Anyone had a similar experience? Is my ESC faulty or am I just being a noob?
May 17, 2013, 04:00 PM
Looks like my Walrus will be delivered within the next 5 business days. Weather here is perfect for soaring, then again everyday is perfect for something in Paradise :-)

Thank you to everyone who have posted . . . I've taken notes that I am sure will prove to be helpful.

Quick Reply