Jan 27, 2013, 09:03 PM
Limited flyer
What i really want to know is why not have parts in reserve when releasing a new air craft, i mean c'mon, you fellows at HK sit down and have pow wows about certaain products,and i am sure that you guys would come up with a list of at least the top five parts that would have to be re-placed the soonest,RIGHT?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
I think that Limited Flyer is right: We can make a list of spare parts and all together make a statistic of the "Top Ten".
But will be considerated from HK?
Or They'll make their own list of spare parts?
Ok, it costs nothing, We can begin!

1. Propeller (maybe, more than one kind, with different pitch and material);
2. Spinner (plastic, aluminium, etc.);
3. Motors (I don't think that HK needs to project new of them, it's enough to make a list of compatible motors, maybe with some indications about the propeller suggested for each motor);
4. All the plane's parts (wings, fuselage, rudder, cockpit, etc.);
5. Some upgrades (gear, some frames for FPV kits installation, etc.);
6. Stickers.
...and what about a couple of floats?
Jan 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
I placed my order today! This will be one of my beginner airplanes. I purchased a Super Cub LP two weeks ago. A friend of mine has a floater and being a former hang glider pilot, the idea of a soaring rc plane appealed to me.

Before I made my decision, I checked out the Bixlers, the Cox offering, and the Superfly X. I watched a couple of videos, and this seemed to blow the others out of water with features and performance. How cool are those flaps? The only other glider that I was seriously considering that I may have buyer's remorse over is the Multiplex EasyGlider Pro just because it's available at my LHS and it's been out for several years.

I also ordered an Orange 620 Rx, two Turnigy 2200 3s 15-50c batteries, and some glue. I wanted to order a couple of backup props, but I think I'll hold off for now.

The only thing I'm worried about is my plane arriving undamaged. Spare parts seem to be scarce, but I am hoping that will improve once the plane becomes more established.

Well, this will be a learning experience. I hope it works out with this glider and HobbyKing.

We will see...
Jan 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
Cleared for take off...
Hi all, maidened mine on the weekend, plenty of sage veterans were watching on ready to offer advice, we added about 20% down ele for the flaps and that was about it, the rest was a pleasure to fly enough acro for fun, handled 15 knots of gusty wind with ease.

Was only going to LOS it firstly, but I ended up putting a quick little FPV rig together at the field and had a little rip around through the goggles, gotta say, this little baby ticked all the boxes, I think you'll find it might become a 'standard' part of the learners journey.

(I think HK were 2 less in the AU W/house by the end of the day )

2 thumbs up at this end
Jan 30, 2013, 04:34 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookR1
Before I made my decision, I checked out the Bixlers, the Cox offering, and the Superfly X.
honestly, I reckon the bixler is real difficult to go past as a learner plane
stable, docile, cheap, I couldnt tell you how many folk (& kids) I've taught, and known a few who taught themselves to fly on bixlers or their counterparts (sky surfer & ezstar) Pylon pusher prop is the best config for a learner so in the event of a nose in (it happens to all of us lol) pretty much everything survives a crash and can be transplanted
I'm not saying this Walrus is bad to learn on, it also appears to have many of the atributes as the the others, but pusher prop & docile is what is required as a learner plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly
Hi all, maidened mine on the weekend, plenty of sage veterans were watching on ready to offer advice, we added about 20% down ele for the flaps and that was about it, the rest was a pleasure to fly enough acro for fun, handled 15 knots of gusty wind with ease.

Was only going to LOS it firstly, but I ended up putting a quick little FPV rig together at the field and had a little rip around through the goggles, gotta say, this little baby ticked all the boxes, I think you'll find it might become a 'standard' part of the learners journey.

(I think HK were 2 less in the AU W/house by the end of the day )

2 thumbs up at this end
Congrats on your successful maiden
20% elev/flap mix? wow that is a lot... do you slow the bird down before deploying flaps? often folk tend to use flaps as airbrakes which is not what they are actually designed for, so if the plane is flying too fast all planes will balloon, some more than others, but if flown slow enough (before stall heh heh) the ballooning should be minimal. experiment with it... plenty of mistakes high lol which is the great thing having goggs on, you can get to a safe altitude to play with things like flaps

mine is on it's way... how do you think this walrus will be with some power wedged in it? I'm conteplating motor upgrade... cant push my bix any faster without flutter, not interested in copious amounts of strengthening the bix, she goes well enough now as she is, hoping the walrus will be good for a little more "excitement"
Jan 30, 2013, 07:18 PM
Cleared for take off...
Aussie, this is my first 'with flaps' plane, so happy to get pointers from the ones with wisdom cheers.
The ele doesn't have a massive surface area, by eye it's not dissimilar to the Bix though. I tried 10% (dx6i) and up she went on deployment, and your assumption was right, first time I deployed them I was moving along at about 1/2 stick or just under,and it did react better at slower speeds.

With the power plant in it as it is I think the structure is quite sound, but if you were to take it to the next level, more reinforcing would be required, the wing spar could do with lengthening, stock is around the 30cm, I've just fitted a 80cm one in there and it does bully it up quit a bit. No carbon in the tail as stock, motor mount would need reinforcing or at least re gluing.

Overall though, I think you'd be fine to warm it up a bit
Jan 31, 2013, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly
Aussie, this is my first 'with flaps' plane, so happy to get pointers from the ones with wisdom cheers.
The ele doesn't have a massive surface area, by eye it's not dissimilar to the Bix though. I tried 10% (dx6i) and up she went on deployment, and your assumption was right, first time I deployed them I was moving along at about 1/2 stick or just under,and it did react better at slower speeds.

With the power plant in it as it is I think the structure is quite sound, but if you were to take it to the next level, more reinforcing would be required, the wing spar could do with lengthening, stock is around the 30cm, I've just fitted a 80cm one in there and it does bully it up quit a bit. No carbon in the tail as stock, motor mount would need reinforcing or at least re gluing.

Overall though, I think you'd be fine to warm it up a bit
thanks Wit, things could get interesting... stay tuned...
Feb 06, 2013, 04:25 AM
walrus has landed...

on first quick glance, other than being a tractor prop it looks little different to a bixler lol

finishing dinner, top up the mandatory plane building scotch glass, then off to the man cave
first mission: before anything else comes out of the box, the fuse will be closely inspected for the insertion of a 2200kv ARC motor...
Feb 06, 2013, 05:12 AM
ICrashRCs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
walrus has landed...

on first quick glance, other than being a tractor prop it looks little different to a bixler lol

finishing dinner, top up the mandatory plane building scotch glass, then off to the man cave
first mission: before anything else comes out of the box, the fuse will be closely inspected for the insertion of a 2200kv ARC motor...
You plan to run a 6" prop?
Beware the motor screws loosening up.
I had one come out even with locktite.
And glue the mount in good...
I opened up one of the edge holes (wood and foam) to pass the wires through. Made it much easier to deal with.
Feb 06, 2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs
You plan to run a 6" prop?
Beware the motor screws loosening up.
I had one come out even with locktite.
And glue the mount in good...
I opened up one of the edge holes (wood and foam) to pass the wires through. Made it much easier to deal with.
6 x 4 APC

ARC 2200kv is an inrunner, entire stock ply motor mount will be removed, not sure how I will do that just yet lol
Feb 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
I've bought a 9X6 carbon fiber and today I've tried it with the plastic original spinner. Immediately, it had a lot of vibrations. I've tried to adjust the prop's screws but no way to solve this problem. Finally I've also broken the spinner, in the part where is insert the prop's screw. I don't think that it's happen because of the prop, maybe it's happen because these props really needs another kind of spinner. But I still waiting from HK the right spinner model for our Walrus. Do someone knows if there's a right spinner in HK shop?
Feb 14, 2013, 04:20 AM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
We will be offering the Walrus spinner and prop as a spare, its just been delayed because of CNY. I'll be able to give you guy's that are interested an update on this hopefully by this time next week.

S.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Feb 14, 2013, 01:12 PM
Ok, thanks Stuart, but I live in Italy and I'll need almost one month to receive the order; meanwhile, I won't have the possibility to fly my Walrus.
Do You have any indication about all the measures of motor/hub/spinner to search something as temporarly spare part?
I'd like to know even if there's already a compatible aluminium hub/spinner on HK's catalogue.
I've another pair of brand new carbon props (bought on HK), but off course I can't use them.
I also tried to unscrew the hexagon screw that's in the motor shaft adapter, but it's impossible, it looks glued.
And it looks also impossible to get out from the balsa motor's support the 3.5 mm motor's connectors.
Suggestions?
Thanks.
Feb 14, 2013, 07:07 PM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
Hi, I have seen this once or twice before, though thankfully it this issue of the unmovable prop adapter seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Let me get at sample in front of me and I'll see if I can help you with that.

Re: removing the motor from the ply mount. Unscrew the motor from the back and then try and pull through one 3.5mm plug at a time. Its worked for me in the past.

S.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Feb 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
I agree Stuart, i was able to slip the ARC motor connectors through one of the holes, one connector at a time... although it was tight.
I changed my mind about removing the ply motor mount, reluctant to remove some structural strength in the nose, so i have the back of my inrunner against the mount, cut slithers of foam and epoxy glued them between the side of the can & inside of the nose, cured now and motor seems very rigid. So far so good

Quick Reply