Aug 07, 2019, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Couple of thoughts, both relevant to your receiver.

My receivers have an led that goes solid-on upon bind. If power is lost in flight and they "reboot" the led changes to blinking for the rest of the flight. That aids in troubleshooting after in-flight loss of control.

As to routing the antennas. If you have a diversity receiver, both antennas are active, alternate, and putting them at 90 degrees is not mandatory, but a good idea. However many "two antenna receivers" have only one active antenna and the other is a passive reflector. Optimally, those two leads should point directly away from each other.

But given it's a full-power problem, I doubt it's antennas. Brown-out is more likely. You should verify all your components are within ratings using a wattmeter. And do full throttle bench testing to check for battery sag.
Cheers mate,

Flew today with the antennas routed "by the book", and range test before flight was rock solid.

I went back to stock prop and same thing, and it's happening more often now.

It's almost certainly the esc bec being faulty...certainly that's where I'm going next. My suspicions were raised a bit more when a very experienced pattern flyer at our club said "oh, I had that same thing happen once with a Turnigy Plush 40A esc...what esc do you have in that?"

I don't have bench tester and wattmeter (yet), but I just don't believe I'm pulling over 40A with this setup, let alone 30A. I've got HK Blue 30A esc's here with switching bec that I've known to be excellent in the past, so I'll try one of them.

Batteries are Turnigy 40-50C 2200's, which are kept and charged (always balanced charged and storage after use) meticulously, and have no sign of even the slightest imbalance or sag. I honestly don't think all 5 of them are sagging, and it's a big C rating for this application.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2019, 09:03 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
My favorite troubleshooting technique -- Swap & Test...until it's fixed.
Aug 08, 2019, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
My favorite troubleshooting technique -- Swap & Test...until it's fixed.
Tell me about it...

I'd add "in order of probability" to that statement, and that's just what I'm doing.

I've changed out the esc for a new 30A Blue HK unit, and I'm quietly hopeful that this will be the solution.

Might even sneak down to the club tomorrow morning and give it a test.
Feb 07, 2020, 09:44 AM

Prop Size

Hey, i tried to search this thread, but found no answer. Sorry

I have a Night Walrus and want to replace the stock prop. I want to buy Aeronaut CAMcarbon folding propellers. But whats the right size? The stock prop looks like a 9x6. But i dont know exactly.

Who knows the right size?

Thanks to all
Feb 07, 2020, 10:19 PM
Your question has been asked several times on this thread. I have not seen an answer except for the easy to measure 9 in diameter. The replacement part on the HK site does not have any specifications!

Flying the Walrus all stock equipment since page 11!
Feb 07, 2020, 11:06 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawarau
Hey, i tried to search this thread, but found no answer. Sorry

I have a Night Walrus and want to replace the stock prop. I want to buy Aeronaut CAMcarbon folding propellers. But whats the right size? The stock prop looks like a 9x6. But i dont know exactly.

Who knows the right size?

Thanks to all
It depends on the kv of your motor.
I bought mine about a year ago, and it has an 1100kv motor.
The stock prop is something like a 9x6 and works poorly with the 1100kv motor.
I use a 10x6 folder on mine, and it's okay for draw and power.

Earlier planes had a 1400kv motor that would work okay with the smaller stock prop.

It's probably worthwhile to pull out your motor and see what kv it is.
That's what I had to do to figure out why it went so poorly with the stock prop.
Feb 08, 2020, 02:43 AM
The motor looks only silver colored. No Brand, no signs
Feb 18, 2020, 09:06 PM
Is this plane still a good option for beginners? Also I would need new batteries unless I can use my 4s2200 mAh flight packs.
Feb 18, 2020, 10:00 PM
This is your brain on heli's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer
Is this plane still a good option for beginners? Also I would need new batteries unless I can use my 4s2200 mAh flight packs.
4S 2200 sounds way to big to me. I use a 3S 1800.

Beginner means different things to different people. Its hand launch only so maybe that works for you or maybe not. Traditional true beginner planes are high wing planes with lots of dihedral.
Last edited by rhodesengr; Feb 18, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
Feb 18, 2020, 10:47 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
As a powered glider, it's a decent choice for a beginner, as long as there's been some sim time to familiarize with the sticks.

And no, those batteries won't work. I'd suggest using 3S 1300mah's. The lighter weight and smaller size are 2 good bonuses.
Feb 19, 2020, 03:42 AM
when is the wind stopping??
3s 2200mah lipos will fit just fine on the Walrus
Feb 26, 2020, 05:36 PM
Ok great...thx guys. Ending up going with a high wing trainer with landing gears. Got another 2 months to practice on the Sim. Too cold outside.
Feb 27, 2020, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Ok great...thx guys. Ending up going with a high wing trainer with landing gears. Got another 2 months to practice on the Sim. Too cold outside.
If you want something that you will enjoy flying for a very long time and flies good with 3s lipos I would suggest an old favourite of mine...a Wot4 foamie. It can fly slow up to a point and also very fast with 3s lipos plus it has quite a solid flight and landing gear is very sturdy too. Others may not agree as there are certainly other better beginner trainer planes but that s my 2 cents Keep training on that sim and focus more on the landing as that is probably the hardest part for any rc pilot to nail down and perfect over the years
Feb 28, 2020, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
If you want something that you will enjoy flying for a very long time and flies good with 3s lipos I would suggest an old favourite of mine...a Wot4 foamie. It can fly slow up to a point and also very fast with 3s lipos plus it has quite a solid flight and landing gear is very sturdy too. Others may not agree as there are certainly other better beginner trainer planes but that s my 2 cents Keep training on that sim and focus more on the landing as that is probably the hardest part for any rc pilot to nail down and perfect over the years
Much appreciate the advice. It's funny. I'm actually trying to relearn how to fly again. I had stopped about 5 years ago flying planks and helis. Been flying fpv quads since.
Feb 29, 2020, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Much appreciate the advice. It's funny. I'm actually trying to relearn how to fly again. I had stopped about 5 years ago flying planks and helis. Been flying fpv quads since.
I don't know what you're talking about btw the Walrus was my first rc plane but was a nightmare to land on a concrete runway as a beginner it never seemed to want to touch down and i was left with mo more space before I got the hang of it

Quick Reply