May 04, 2019, 07:03 AM

U turn

Hear the screech of tyres, decided on a huge U turn, i was about to list the Walrus on a classifieds page, and decided to give it a bit more of a chance, remember i never actually said i dont like it, just it was not living up to my high expectations..........but i have sorted a 10x6 prop, going to fly it through the summer and see if i can get to like it a bit more.........i may end up keeping it or may still move it on
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2019, 07:31 AM
Out Standing In The Field
The 10x6 is a must. The 1100kv motor and the stock prop is a miserable combination.

I wonder if the stock prop's backplate can be used with Graupner (or other) blades?
(I hope so - I've got 3 of the things!)
May 04, 2019, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
The 10x6 is a must. The 1100kv motor and the stock prop is a miserable combination.

I wonder if the stock prop's backplate can be used with Graupner (or other) blades?
(I hope so - I've got 3 of the things!)
I removed the blades from a volantex phoenix prop and fitted them to the HK hub
Jun 12, 2019, 03:29 PM
RC Surf
Has anyone tried cutting the wingtips off to improve performance
Jun 13, 2019, 11:07 AM
I have completely given up with my walrus, listed it for sale at a bargain price of 30 to get rid of it, really need the room its taking up
Jun 13, 2019, 01:48 PM
This is your brain on heli's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Surf
Has anyone tried cutting the wingtips off to improve performance
What aspect of performance are you trying to improve? Since it is meant to be a thermal glider, I would think that shortening the wings would increase the wing loading and reduce its thermal performance.
Jun 13, 2019, 03:04 PM
RC Surf
The walrus's " Thermal performance " was minimal at best, with the fat fuse.

I didnt like how it performed with the tips, so I CUT them this morning and just got back from the field. Flies much better , still glides well, about the same , but it doesnt automatically nose into the wind. Flies on rails , rolls well . most importantly it flies on rails now , also flying with a 10x6 apc prop until my new spinner comes but like it .
Jun 13, 2019, 06:36 PM
Out Standing In The Field
That doesn't look like that radical of a cut.
I'd thought of bobbing them back almost to the end of the ailerons.
If I don't emulate Mr. Reacher & post mine up for sale, I might get out the razor saw and follow your example.

Can always glue 'em back on if you don't like it, no?
Jun 13, 2019, 11:00 PM
RC Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
That doesn't look like that radical of a cut.
I'd thought of bobbing them back almost to the end of the ailerons.
If I don't emulate Mr. Reacher & post mine up for sale, I might get out the razor saw and follow your example.

Can always glue 'em back on if you don't like it, no?
Yeah i played it a lil safe , thinking i could glue back

i cut it at 60mm or 2.5 inch off each wing tip

and will be taking an additional inch off each side
Last edited by RC Surf; Jun 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM.
Jun 14, 2019, 11:11 PM
RC Surf
Final thoughts , just had some fun night fun ( night walrus )

I flatend out the reaming edge of the wing to take out any left over diheadral, i still may cut it but like that it still glides . with an apc 10x6 and even got the original spinner to fit , i really like how it flies now .
Jun 14, 2019, 11:26 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Final thoughts , just had some fun night fun ( night walrus )

I flatend out the reaming edge of the wing to take out any left over diheadral, i still may cut it but like that it still glides . with an apc 10x6 and even got the original spinner to fit , i really like how it flies now .
Try posting some footage onboard and from the ground too please
Jun 15, 2019, 01:27 AM
RC Surf
will do
Jun 18, 2019, 05:22 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Thanks looks quite an improvement in speed and handling there from stock version. If you ever decide to get something that is a lot faster and glides just as well get a stmodels blaze or one of it's clones on 3s 1300mah it flies easily 15minutes and is a rocket. Just added some leds to mine for some night flying
Jun 18, 2019, 11:54 AM
RC Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
Thanks looks quite an improvement in speed and handling there from stock version. If you ever decide to get something that is a lot faster and glides just as well get a stmodels blaze or one of it's clones on 3s 1300mah it flies easily 15minutes and is a rocket. Just added some leds to mine for some night flying
i specifically got this one because of the built in led's , happy with how it flies

Quick Reply