Oct 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm finding it difficult to hook up the wing wires to those dinky "Y" leads. And just how do you hide all that wire in order to get the wings together?

I did a short run of the motor to check things out and the ESC did get too warm IMO. I cut the plastic off the heat sink side in hopes it will help. More cooling air is a definite requirement, both in and out venting is needed. Tex.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
Further to the above, after much fiddling, I got the wing mounted. Then slid the tail bits in. Nice fit. But check the picture of the alignment. This is just not good enough! Below average to P poor. Tex.
Oct 01, 2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrejock
further to the above, after much fiddling, i got the wing mounted. Then slid the tail bits in. Nice fit. But check the picture of the alignment. This is just not good enough! Below average to p poor. Tex.
sad! Just sad!!!
Oct 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Well, the fix for the rotten tail alignment was easy. Just like I used to do with sheeted built-up wings when a warp developed. I put two longitudinal slits in the bottom of the fuse, right through the foam, from just behind the wing back to the tail. By twisting the fuse it comes back into alignment easily. I rubbed carpenter's glue into the slits and taped the fuse in the correct position.

But we shouldn't have to do this! Tex.
Oct 01, 2012, 04:03 PM
ICrashRCs
There's a pic on the previous page of an identical twist!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=161
Oct 01, 2012, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=IFlyRCs;22885699]There's a pic on the previous page of an identical twist!

They've got a big problem here. But at least the fix is simple and easy.

Flew mine briefly this afternoon. Very stable. I put a 1300 3s right up in the nose and it balances on the wires. It's a glider so doesn't need a lot of power-on endurance, just a few climbs. Tex.
Oct 01, 2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock
Well, the fix for the rotten tail alignment was easy. Just like I used to do with sheeted built-up wings when a warp developed. I put two longitudinal slits in the bottom of the fuse, right through the foam, from just behind the wing back to the tail. By twisting the fuse it comes back into alignment easily. I rubbed carpenter's glue into the slits and taped the fuse in the correct position.

But we shouldn't have to do this! Tex.
Very interesting method! Do you have pictures of the whole process? I'm not sure I figure it out correctly
Oct 01, 2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek W
Very interesting method! Do you have pictures of the whole process? I'm not sure I figure it out correctly
I don't have pics, but there really isn't much to see. If yours is twisted be gutsy and just make a slice or two down the belly, mine are about an inch apart either side of the construction join. Slice right through the foam. Make them as straight as possible.You'll find that it twists straight very easily.

I used the carpenter's glue because it gives you time and the excess wipes off with a damp cloth/paper towel. Tex.
Oct 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrejock
i don't have pics, but there really isn't much to see. If yours is twisted be gutsy and just make a slice or two down the belly, mine are about an inch apart either side of the construction join. Slice right through the foam. Make them as straight as possible.you'll find that it twists straight very easily.

I used the carpenter's glue because it gives you time and the excess wipes off with a damp cloth/paper towel. Tex.
genius!!!
Oct 01, 2012, 08:12 PM
Nice! Thank you.
En garde!
Oct 01, 2012, 08:27 PM

Air Intake

FWIW, here's my treatment of the lack of cooling air. The outside is a "sorta NACA" style duct which is situated right in front of my ESC. Notice that I cut the plastic insulation from the heat sink as I always do. Why they put a heavy chunk of plastic over it I'll never figure out!

Now if we could only get the prop to stop with a brake. Tex.
Oct 01, 2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
FWIW, here's my treatment of the lack of cooling air. The outside is a "sorta NACA" style duct which is situated right in front of my ESC. Notice that I cut the plastic insulation from the heat sink as I always do. Why they put a heavy chunk of plastic over it I'll never figure out!

Now if we could only get the prop to stop with a brake. Tex.
The intake is nice. Is it on both sides? How are you venting it??
Oct 02, 2012, 12:20 AM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
Twist noted, this is the first I've seen of it, certainly none of our production samples had it. Fortunately I have a sample taken from stock this week that I'm going to be putting together this afternoon (I brought it for my wife to learn to fly on) and I'll be sure to check for this issue. I can also confirm the prop size.

Sabrejock, I am sorry that you had this problem, but am happy that you where able to fix it with ease and it flies well for you, she is rock solid isn't she.

S.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Oct 02, 2012, 05:42 AM
Buck: I just put the intake on the one side in front of the ESC. I enlarged and shaped the existing exit hole.

Stuart: It seems I'm not the only one with the poorly aligned tail bits. See previous poster Hz42 at #161. Tex.
Oct 02, 2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Buck: I just put the intake on the one side in front of the ESC. I enlarged and shaped the existing exit hole.

Stuart: It seems I'm not the only one with the poorly aligned tail bits. See previous poster Hz42 at #161. Tex.
What exit hole??

Quick Reply