Jan 08, 2016, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
You're the only one with video documentation!
Yeah, the stock props break quite easily without apparent reason. When my first died, I ordered three sets from china - so now , unfortunately, I am simply waiting until I have no spare to go for a better quality - I wouldn't buy those again.
And my Wally is now in two pieces. as I have some additional wiring in the fuse (TGY LED lights) right next to the receiver, stuffed in quite a nasty bundle of wires, I suspect some interference happened right after start and she went full throttle elevator down, right on the field / so the nose broke off and rest of the front part of fuse is kinda bent. Will need to create/model from some pieces of EPO the original shape of the fuse :/
But thanks to my mod of wings attached with a rubberband instead of the screws, nothing happened to them / they simply disjoined the fuse at the hit.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2016, 11:30 AM
Well, I think these props that come with the walrus are just bad.

Here is a picture of the good side of the prop:

If you look at it, you can see a weak point that is diagonal where the prop starts to bend in. It looks like it has been bent back and forth multiple times.

The bad side:

It broke exactly where that weak point is on the other side.
Jan 11, 2016, 12:00 PM
when is the wind stopping??
it's where they all break!! However it could also break to excesive vibration so make sure to balance your props from new before flying....furthermore your props need to be able to fold easily and not be difficult to fold as well as they might get stuckat a bad angle in flight!
Jan 25, 2016, 05:25 PM

Is the walrus still a good buy?

Looking for a cheap electric glider. Something to good all round and hand launch\belly land while ground is so wet.

Have good experience with 4ch warbirds, have the 'A' cert. I have a few new models lined up for when the weather is better I can launch from the field.

This model has been around for a while. The posts on this thread have gone quite quiet. Is this still a good choice or is there some other good options. I have some HK vouchers so was looking to get something from them.

Thanks in advance
Jan 25, 2016, 05:32 PM
My head in the clouds!
I think for the price point its a great buy. Flaps, ail, rud, ele for under $100. I've had mine for over a year and only had to change the prop once. I only fly it at night.
Jan 25, 2016, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Steve
I think for the price point its a great buy. Flaps, ail, rud, ele for under $100. I've had mine for over a year and only had to change the prop once. I only fly it at night.
Thanks. Did you stick with the stock props and spinner when you came to replace?

I've got a couple of 1300mah's I don't use + some 1800 & 2200mah so a few options on lipos I could use.
Jan 25, 2016, 07:21 PM
My head in the clouds!
replaced with stock props and run it on the slim 2200's
Jan 26, 2016, 03:58 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Buy it. You won't regret it even though mine is now on the shelf
Jan 26, 2016, 07:47 AM
3 years old, hundreds of flights, still on original hardware including folding prop, though mine did have the 'factory' cooling mod to the esc from new.

Flies great on 1500 -2200 3s, zippy compacts with little change in cog.

Small enough to leave the wings on, always ready for action.

Wally still is a lot of fun to fly, winter has less opportunities but as soon as the better weather is here, he'll be back in the air again.
Jan 27, 2016, 04:20 AM
Thanks for your responses. I was also considering the Durafly Tundra, as an all-round type plane. But seeing the price I could order three Walrus for the price of a Tundra.

Hopefully I'll be joining the Walrus club soon.
Jan 27, 2016, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood
Thanks for your responses. I was also considering the Durafly Tundra, as an all-round type plane. But seeing the price I could order three Walrus for the price of a Tundra.

Hopefully I'll be joining the Walrus club soon.
You wont be disappointed, still on of the most underated planes HK sells!
Jan 28, 2016, 08:32 PM
If it's R/C, I'm in!
Just for the record, I think it's an outstanding bargain, and a very well-made model. Though I only put about a dozen flights on mine after getting it last summer, it was a joy to fly and I had no problems with it. It's the only glider in my fleet, so I can't compare it to others, but based on the comments in this thread, it's also pretty versatile for the type. Highly recommended.
Jan 29, 2016, 02:59 AM
Thanks guys, I've put the order in for the walrus along with a couple of fresh lipos and a separate order from 'int' warehouse for a couple of spare props. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers
Feb 01, 2016, 04:57 PM
Mr postman delivered a nice box today containing my new Walrus.

Had a quick once over and all looks good. Well finished model. I was surprised with the compact outer box, was initially worried that it wasnt the model i orded, it was just well packed.

Will build it up with the wings detached so I can transport easily.

The model is very light weight. Wonder how she will fly with the current windy UK weather.
Feb 01, 2016, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood
Mr postman delivered a nice box today containing my new Walrus.

Had a quick once over and all looks good. Well finished model. I was surprised with the compact outer box, was initially worried that it wasnt the model i orded, it was just well packed.

Will build it up with the wings detached so I can transport easily.

The model is very light weight. Wonder how she will fly with the current windy UK weather.
As it's designed as a powered glider, it handles a fair amount of wind, and you can pretty much hold station given the right conditions, but with the 60 - 70mph winds we're getting now and the long range forecast being more of the same, it's likely to be grounded for some time I reckon.

Edit:

Feeling depressed after that last comment so thought I'd bring back a short clip of happier times:

Wally at Knockaloe (1 min 31 sec)
Last edited by jhkiom; Feb 01, 2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added video

Quick Reply