Crius SE / Multiwii 2.1 Gimbal Controller - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by blade strike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
US Support / 107 Certified
Mini-HowTo

Crius SE / Multiwii 2.1 Gimbal Controller

Well after buying a AG550 and not happy with the WK-M new outputs I decided to see if I could find a cheaper solution than a Hoverfly $360 gimabl controller.
Well I found a Crius SE on ebay for $35 shipped. I thought what the hell, I will give it a try. after about a week of tuning I feel that I have hit the max performance I can get out of this board!
Since this was my first MultiWii controller of any kind, it took a sec to understand how it works but really like it now.. Might even get another for a sports quad.
Setting the controller up for gimbal only mode is very easy and I will outline the basic setup to do so.

First you need Arduino Compiler and Board Flashing Environment

Now you need the Latest MultiWii Software including Configuration Program

Unzip both to a common directory.

Attach the FTDI USB board to the MultiWii SE board and plug in USB cable
to PC. A new Hardware dialogs will appear and point to the \drivers\ftdi usb folder in the Arduino folder for the driver. Driver should install and new device be
recognized.

With FTDI USB connected, start Arduino.exe. Set board type to Arduino Nano /w ATmega 328

Set Com port to the one the FTDI is on.

Now open the MultiWii 2.1 source code (MultiWii_2_1.ino). You will see tabs on top now. Select config.h

Now find and uncomment the following:
Code:
/**************************    The type of multicopter    ****************************/
    #define GIMBAL
/************************************************************************************/
Code:
***********************          Cam Stabilisation             ***********************/
    /* The following lines apply only for a pitch/roll tilt stabilization system. Uncomment the first or second line to activate it */
    //#define SERVO_MIX_TILT
    #define SERVO_TILT
    #define TILT_PITCH_MIN    1020    //servo travel min, don't set it below 1020
    #define TILT_PITCH_MAX    2000    //servo travel max, max value=2000
    #define TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE 1500    //servo neutral value
    #define TILT_PITCH_PROP   14     //servo proportional (tied to angle)           
    #define TILT_ROLL_MIN     1020
    #define TILT_ROLL_MAX     2000
    #define TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE  1500
    #define TILT_ROLL_PROP    14  
Code:
/***********************         Servo Refreshrates            ***********************/
    /* Default 50Hz Servo refresh rate*/
    //#define SERVO_RFR_50HZ

/* up to 160Hz servo refreshrate .. works with the most analog servos*/
    //#define SERVO_RFR_160HZ

/* up to 300Hz refreshrate it is as fast as possible (100-300Hz depending on the cound of used servos and the servos state).
       for use with digital servos
       dont use it with analog servos! thay may get damage. (some will work but be careful) */
    #define SERVO_RFR_300HZ
Now we need to change the servo speed. Go to the Ouput tab and change the following:
Code:
#ifdef GIMBAL
    servo[0] = constrain(TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE + TILT_PITCH_PROP * angle[PITCH] /6 + rcCommand[PITCH], TILT_PITCH_MIN, TILT_PITCH_MAX);
    servo[1] = constrain(TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE + TILT_ROLL_PROP   * angle[ROLL]  /6 + rcCommand[ROLL], TILT_ROLL_MIN, TILT_ROLL_MAX);
Connect the controller now and just issue the upload command. This will get you in the ball park for the AG550 gimbal running BLS950's @ 6v. You will have to play with theTILT_ROLL_PROP and the speed on the ouput tab, to get it working well on your setup!
I did play with some PID tuning and it does not seem to help gimbal only mode. I could be wrong but didn’t notice anything changing with playing with the values
Yes it's no hoverfly, but after seeing some video I say it is about 75% there @ 1/10th the cost.

I do have a CC clone coming in the mail this week, so I will be trying that next!

AG550 / F550 / Gopro w/ rage lense (4 min 47 sec)

Please let me know if I missed anything or if anyone has a question I will start posting more videos now since I think the config is pretty close. I just need to find the time!
Last edited by blade strike; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
Dude that is saweeeet! I'll be putting a quadrino on my bird for FC and gimbal control. Hope I can get it dialed in like yours!

KFM
Aug 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum961
Dude that is saweeeet! I'll be putting a quadrino on my bird for FC and gimbal control. Hope I can get it dialed in like yours!

KFM
Thanks man... If you need help, just post
Latest blog entry: DJI Battery Station (tb50)
Aug 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Great topic blade!
Tilt seem good.
Did you try some shaky lateral moves to check how roll is doing?
Usually when I'm trying out gimbal settings I point the lens at one place and shake the multi in all directions without actually moving out of the spot too much to see the results. But that is a radical test.
Aug 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah done all the hard moves.. If you have it tunned for perfect roll and tilt, it will twitch too bad in flight..IMHO for standard hobbiest AV flying it does just fine.
Aug 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
Just never satisfied...
Thank you for posting this! I'll give it a try, just got a multiwii off ebay.
Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Where did you mount the gimbal? Did you have manual servo control connected?
Aug 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
I think you mean the gimabl controller? It mounted on top of the gimbal mount, not on the airframe. Yes I do have manual pitch control
Aug 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike
I think you mean the gimabl controller? It mounted on top of the gimbal mount, not on the airframe. Yes I do have manual pitch control
Yah I meant the controller. Would you be able to post a photo of the setup?
Aug 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
Sure can, will post tonight after work
Aug 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
here you go
Aug 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Just never satisfied...
Ok, so you just connect the signal wires to A0 & A1.
How do you supply power to the board?

Thanks,
Pär
Aug 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
I power the gimbal electronics with a western robotics hercules bec.
Aug 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool, thanks for the pics.
Aug 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Great idea!

Quick Reply