Aug 09, 2012, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Why the hate for Spektrum?

I've been reading on several forums, including this one and it seems like people have a lot of hate towards spektrum / DSM2. Why is this? I own a DX7 and several DSM2 / OrangeRX receivers and have never had any issues at all.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2012, 03:28 PM
Volts>amps
I believe all the manufs have people that hate them or are just very passionate about issues that some tx's and rx's have.

You probably see a lot of hate about spektrum due to the fact they are the current top seller.
Aug 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
most exalted one
No hate, just distaste. People keep asking for advice/help and its terrible. Dsm,dsm2,dsmx and......hopping is next according to rumord, satellites dsmx and dsm2.This tx doesn't buddy with this, etc. Oh and 500 different rx models!!
Fut,Hit,Airt just keep humming
Aug 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
Based on the local flying clubs, it appears they have around 70% of the 2.4GHz market. I guess that makes them a big target on web forums though there seem to be relatively few problems in person.

Most people seem to get along with Microsoft products too but you wouldn't think so from web forums.
Aug 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap
I've been reading on several forums, including this one and it seems like people have a lot of hate towards spektrum / DSM2. Why is this? I own a DX7 and several DSM2 / OrangeRX receivers and have never had any issues at all.
Your experiences reflect the majority-
The horror stories are for the most part - just yammering from the peanut gallery .
Often you can spot the reason for their "problems'.
Aug 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Why all the hate for Microsoft Windows?

See what I mean? It's like, "nobody goes to that restaurant anymore, it's always too crowded."
Latest blog entry: How To Get a Custom AMA Number
Aug 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
my personal experience - not very good build quality.
I had dx5: (1) trainer jack did not work, (2) power switch failure cost me 2 planes.
dx6 - less then a year old - and suddenly wont turn off. i broke a heli because of this.
I think they are not robust enough for field use...
but (1) Spektrum has the huge variety of BNF models, (2) you can buy $6 rx for it.
Aug 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
Crash Test Engineer
I was wondering the same thing. There are multiple threads, with shall we say, very passionate ill feelings towards Spektrum. I get given it's large market share that you will hear a lot of negative views, just due to the sheer number of users.

What I do not understand is the level of continued effort some folks make to disparage them. I guess if they were burned bad enough and lost enough cash due to the Spektrum system they may want to make some noise. Just not my style.

If their is a legitimate issue, I would think best use of time would be to let the company know, let consumers know in a review or a forum, finally, buy new equipment and move on (assuming you don't trust the equipment anymore). Just can't see letting it overshadow the fun of the hobby.

Too each their own though, people know best how to use their own time. I just wish the negativity would stay in threads for that purpose and not overtake and disrupt useful information exchange betweens users of the equipment.

Sorry, now I am being too negative. Moving on... Going to figure out how to program differential for my Super Cub makeover.

RC Dad
Aug 09, 2012, 07:56 PM
Crashomatic
I find Spektrum ok. Yes DSM2 has some issues, but that's ok, they're working okay in most cases, and DSMX fixed it.

What would give me disdain for Spektrum are HH employes replies. Like how they strongly denied the aforementionned DSM2 issues until they had a fix (years later), and have strong opinion against members every time there's something that's not super green.
Stuff like reconnection time and minimum working voltage tests didn't really reflect reality IMO. Then.. DSMX Rxes fixed that too.

That being said I've some Spektrum equipment.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
Retired US Navy
It's the most used system in the world so it can't be all bad...
Aug 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
AMA # 75962
I've been a Spektrum owner and fan ever since they came out with the DX 6 2.4Ghz system. I couldn't wait to get off of the 72 Mhz Freq as there was interference on several of the 72 Mhz channels at the field where I was flying. Plus the Fact that too many of the flyiers would just turn their Tx on without checking to see if anyone else was using that Frequency.

I've never had a problem with either my Spektrum or my JR radios and Rx's. I use either a seperate UBEC that I can program to set 6.0v to the Rx or a ESC that has a programable BEC that I can set to 6.0v for the Rx.

I know that there are problems with any brand of radio equipment that is currently on the market and without mentioning any names, I belive that the modelers in general are used as beta testers, And the few problems that arise are addressed and updates are implemented. like going from V1 to V2 on a product. It's made faster, more reliable, and sometimes even less expensive.

I'm going to be in the Market for the new Spektrum DX 8 this winter, So I have no intention of leaving Spektrum. I would have considered the new JR XG 8 channel radio, But as I understand it,They chose to make it incompatable with the older Rx's. So they aren't in the running for me.

Their Quote;
( *DMSS technology is not compatible with JR DSM or Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX equipment)

J
Aug 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
Maggie is in charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad
I was wondering the same thing. There are multiple threads, with shall we say, very passionate ill feelings towards Spektrum. I get given it's large market share that you will hear a lot of negative views, just due to the sheer number of users.

What I do not understand is the level of continued effort some folks make to disparage them. I guess if they were burned bad enough and lost enough cash due to the Spektrum system they may want to make some noise. Just not my style.

If their is a legitimate issue, I would think best use of time would be to let the company know, let consumers know in a review or a forum, finally, buy new equipment and move on (assuming you don't trust the equipment anymore). Just can't see letting it overshadow the fun of the hobby.

Too each their own though, people know best how to use their own time. I just wish the negativity would stay in threads for that purpose and not overtake and disrupt useful information exchange betweens users of the equipment.

Sorry, now I am being too negative. Moving on... Going to figure out how to program differential for my Super Cub makeover.

RC Dad
I couldn't agree more with this post.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
Retired US Navy
DSM2 and maybe DSMX also has it's interferance. At my house I have a "smart" water meter that transmits and interfeers with my planes. At my field, a landfill converted to a r/c field, we have a couple transmitters for a pipeline near us and if yo ufly directly over them low you get a "hit" no matter 72 or 2.4.
Aug 09, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have a dx6i that I received with my blade 400 and I love that radio. I have brought it with me to Iraq for the past two tours. I have never had a blackout with the radio. I also have a dx8 which is really a good radio. I have had a gimbal break, but they sent me a new one with no questions asked. Customer service is second to none. I enjoy both radios, and the receivers are just as good.
Aug 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee
I've been a Spektrum owner and fan ever since they came out with the DX 6 2.4Ghz system. I couldn't wait to get off of the 72 Mhz Freq as there was interference on several of the 72 Mhz channels at the field where I was flying. Plus the Fact that too many of the flyiers would just turn their Tx on without checking to see if anyone else was using that Frequency.

I've never had a problem with either my Spektrum or my JR radios and Rx's. I use either a seperate UBEC that I can program to set 6.0v to the Rx or a ESC that has a programable BEC that I can set to 6.0v for the Rx.

I know that there are problems with any brand of radio equipment that is currently on the market and without mentioning any names, I belive that the modelers in general are used as beta testers, And the few problems that arise are addressed and updates are implemented. like going from V1 to V2 on a product. It's made faster, more reliable, and sometimes even less expensive.

I'm going to be in the Market for the new Spektrum DX 8 this winter, So I have no intention of leaving Spektrum. I would have considered the new JR XG 8 channel radio, But as I understand it,They chose to make it incompatable with the older Rx's. So they aren't in the running for me.

Their Quote;
( *DMSS technology is not compatible with JR DSM or Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX equipment)

J
Dx8 is amazing.

Quick Reply