Aug 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
All the rest of the pics from my build are on the blog on my page, I think you'll like building and flying this thing. I havent added the servo for the cargo door yet but its coming. I even bought a toy truck and made a pallet and parachute to drop out of the bird!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
I don't see anything about this cargo plane... only the wartBLOG.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Nice looking plane, after you get the bugs out and get some flight time I'm curious how your power setup performs, a twin plane of some sort is on my list of scratch builds, possibly even a cargo plane. I've been using Dollar Tree foam and mostly hot glue for all my builds. As a noob to powered flight (flew rc gliders many years ago, recently buying a powered glider) i've been mostly building high wing trainers, Did build a flying wing thats been fun to fly.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Oh, yeah the pics are within the WartBLOG thread. but basically what I did was

Ordered 2 of the dynam combo packs that comes with 1 1300 kv motor, 1 esc, and 3 servos

Also you may want to buy some velcro strips. (used to mount the esc's, hold your batteries in place, and for holding your latches closed

Then I bought about 6 sheets of Foam board, they can be found at the dollar store or like an arts and crafts store for anywhere between 1 and 3 bucks.

The bird is 5" wide and 4" tall with an length of about 40 inches total. There are PDF plans for a lot of different cargo planes on the web but I pretty much just looked at a few and added my own touch and style to the bird. Thats the fun part about the build is adding your own style to it! I'll post some more in depth photos of the plane like my ipod mount and battery rack that I built on the inside.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Those Dynam combos seem to be a steal. Used one for a trainer a while back, seemed pretty solid for the price. I am either going to use DT foamboard or Depron for it... Depron is more expensive but I like working with it. I never use plans for any of my builds. Some calculations for wing loading, etc - but mostly 'looks right flies right' when it comes to building.

I'm thinking about using a system where the opening of the door pulls a wire that slides the back wall of the cargo bay forward, thus pushing out all the contents like those push up tubes for ice cream.

Good luck with yours. I'll upload pics of mine if I ever get around to it, which I hopefully do.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
Yeah they are for sure a steal! and you get 3 servos with each pack! Cant beat it!

I may use Depron for my next build but I figured for my first build some cheap foam board from the dollar store would be easy to work with and quick to replace.

I havent figure out how I will make my cargo door work yet but I'm thinking of throwing a servo in the bottom corner near the back of the cargo bay and using a long rod and control horn near the bottom of the door to open and close it. Then as the door opens the parachute will catch air and pull the cargo out of the back of the door. We'll see how it works.

Def upload some pics! I'd love to see them, I've already got more Ideas for my next build from building and repairing this one! I'm thinking I'll be having fun with RC planes for a while! May try to do an even bigger/better Cargo style airplane for my next build using a couple edfs! This A-10 build that I am doing has hit a road block since I have to figure out whether to get the mold CNC'd or shape it by hand.
Aug 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm probably going to scale mine up a bit, actually. I'm going to use a few 100W HK motors and plush ESCs.

I'm going to do a 110" KFm3 wing... gonna be big but fun... big slow flyer. Loading it with maybe a 5000mAh or similar so I can really get around for a bit.

Will order the foam soon. Once I build it, I can see how much it weighs to choose the right motor.

Thanks for the idea.
Aug 10, 2012, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Haha that thing is gonna be huge! Should be able to get a lot of altitude with that! How many motors are you going to use on it? Get some nice slow props for it! Thats what I use on mine.

Looking forward to some pics and vids!
Aug 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Welp...I totaled the RME FC-1! Why didnt anyone tell me that curbs and Foam RC planes don't mix!?

The good news is that I gutted the wreckage with the plastic bag I kept inside of it and have recently bought 5 fresh sheets of dollar tree foam board and another fresh roll of packing tape. RME FC version 2 will begin production tomorrow! This one will have a slight twist, and everything I learned on the first build will be taken into consideration! Pics to come shortly! Stay tuned!

Thanks! Happy flying!
Aug 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
You should get a simulator. It'll help with the crashes
Aug 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
I may get one, was at the hobby shop the other day and saw one, and my Tx does have the jack for the cord. Cant remember which simulator it was though.
Aug 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
Fly and Crash
The only simulator I know of that uses a real Tx is the Phoenix Flight Sim. I'm looking at the software for my Dx6i, but at the price, i could build a plane or two.
Aug 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselBird
The only simulator I know of that uses a real Tx is the Phoenix Flight Sim. I'm looking at the software for my Dx6i, but at the price, i could build a plane or two.

Haha yeah everytime I see the price of something I want I always add up what kind of building materials I could be purchasing instead of that product, but if it saves me from crashing other planes and man hours in building process it may end up being a good Idea for me eventually.

I have a plan I'm going ahead with for version 2.0 of my cargo plane so by the maiden flight of that I may end up getting a flight sim if I cant figure out how to atleast get it off the ground and bank n yank it lol
Aug 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
My first sim purchase, RealFlight basic, is tremendously worth it. Best $50 I spent in RC. Now considering upgrading.

Quick Reply