This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 01, 2017, 02:31 PM
Slow is the go!
Thank you Walter, will give trial and error a go.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2017, 10:39 AM
I got the datasheet of the UMX receiver with AS3X from Spektrum's website. It has a different part number than in the owner's manual for the Carbon Cub but I think it is the one that is used.
It shows the channels but I think the GEAR channel is used for the FLAPS on the Carbon Cub.
Jun 08, 2017, 11:30 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
That is correct. All AS3X-equipped UM/UMX planes use single-channel ailerons because AS3X doesn't support dual-channel ailerons. So, the brick comes programmed for reversed CH2 on the CH6 receptacle, with the flaps on CH5.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jun 09, 2017, 01:31 AM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru
I got the datasheet of the UMX receiver with AS3X from Spektrum's website. It has a different part number than in the owner's manual for the Carbon Cub but I think it is the one that is used.
It shows the channels but I think the GEAR channel is used for the FLAPS on the Carbon Cub.
Thank you so much Audioguru
Mar 14, 2018, 07:47 PM
Hello mateys! I just acquired a "new (sorta) but old stock" Carbon Cub UMX Version 1.0!!

No vent holes at all. 2300kV motor. The originalk owner had tried to repair it years ago but had given up. WHEE!!!

Now that I have a chance to relive the struggles all you old-timers had with this birdy back in 2012, I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thank you all again,
Jack/juanito in Albuquerque

Man, those LED leads are invisible! I managed to cut one side trying to clean up the previous owner's strut-mounting repairs. Oh, well. I never fly at dusk, and I try not to get up until well after dawn.
Last edited by juanito; Mar 14, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
Mar 15, 2018, 06:09 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito
Hello mateys! I just acquired a "new (sorta) but old stock" Carbon Cub UMX Version 1.0!!

No vent holes at all. 2300kV motor. The originalk owner had tried to repair it years ago but had given up. WHEE!!!

Now that I have a chance to relive the struggles all you old-timers had with this birdy back in 2012, I'd be grateful for your advice.

Thank you all again,
Jack/juanito in Albuquerque

Man, those LED leads are invisible! I managed to cut one side trying to clean up the previous owner's strut-mounting repairs. Oh, well. I never fly at dusk, and I try not to get up until well after dawn.
I have the V1. I bought it the week it came out. There is nothing wrong with the plane design but rather a bad batch of QC on the brick. If you take it apart check for large globs of solder on the brick, especially near the ESC power leads and where the integrated servo motors power wires connect to the brick.
The 2300kv motor was vastly superior to the 2500kv in the V2. if you need any parts for the strut mounting I think I have most of a wing from where a heli smashed into me at an indoor fly years ago.

-Brian
Mar 15, 2018, 10:40 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Yup, Brian is right. Nothing inherently wrong with the V1. Most were/are just fine. And the 2300Kv motor was a real gem. WAY more power than the anemic 2500, and it's whisper-quiet - unlike the powerful but siren-like 3000.

Joel
Jul 21, 2018, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Does anyone know why the 3000kv version is so whiny?
Jul 21, 2018, 06:14 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
It's just the magnet pattern.

There's a new, even more powerful 3600Kv '180' size motor in the new UMX Gee Bee. Will be very interesting to see how that motor performs & sounds. Might be a good drop-in for any other UMX plane one wants to hop-up a bit: https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180-b...kv-eflum180blc

Joel
Jul 21, 2018, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
It's just the magnet pattern.

There's a new, even more powerful 3600Kv '180' size motor in the new UMX Gee Bee. Will be very interesting to see how that motor performs & sounds. Might be a good drop-in for any other UMX plane one wants to hop-up a bit: https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180-b...kv-eflum180blc

Joel
New Gee Bee motor is pretty loud. I don't know if the motor is really that loud, or if it is just amplified by the enormous fuselage of the Gee Bee. The noise doesn't really bother me because it gives aural feedback as to where the throttle is.
Jul 22, 2018, 06:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Unfortunate news, if the 3600KV motor is loud as well.
Jan 19, 2019, 01:53 AM
fly by night
can't find any used CC to buy but I was always impressed with the CCs my friends had. so I might build one from the spare parts on ebay. works out to about $80 for the empty airframe (Fuse, Wings, tail, gear, linkages kit). I have an old old 2S UMX Stryker w 3000kv motor (also an AS3X mig15) I can use the servos, brick and motor from. Just wonder if this one need special long travel servos? I know at least one of my old servos is dead (but I have spares).

I won't bother with flaps as I need the 5th channel to run the servo for panning the camera as this will be an FPV-in-cockpit bird

I notice the wings come with LEDs included. what voltage do the oem LED lights run on?

hey, will the UMX TImber tundra wheels fit on the CC?

what other items do you think I'll need to marry the above stuff together? (I already ordered the longer prop adaptor)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 19, 2019 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply