Oct 18, 2019, 11:37 AM
when is the wind stopping??

Downthrust ??

I hope you solve your problem because this particular model is amazing to fly. Just had a nice session with it and it didn't disappoint again
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 10:02 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Over 150 flights on mine, all stock. I just caught up about 6 months on the thread. About 70 flights ago, I also had problems ripping the landing gear out on a grass field. I went to 3.5 inch wheels and epoxied a 4x3 inch aluminum plate over the area that rips out. No problems since then.
Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 PM
Registered Hoser
I have too many flights to count on this one. She's still in perfect condition. I might get a few winter flights in.
Nov 02, 2019, 12:11 PM
Wish mine was still in perfect condition. It looks worn out but flies as well as ever after hundreds of flights, rough landings and repairs. It's a good time to buy this one while a few suppliers still stock them and replacement parts. I never understood why so few fliers in this area bought these models except maybe for fear of Dynam quality problems.

Never understood why this long, long, thread wound up in the Parkflyer forum. This model needs a large unobstructed area to enjoy it's great performance including some really wild aerobatics. Yup, it is possible to fly it in a confined area if you have the skills or no better place to fly.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Nov 02, 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Nov 02, 2019, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged

Never understood why this long, long, thread wound up in the Parkflyer forum. This model needs a large unobstructed area to enjoy it's great performance including some really wild aerobatics. Yup, it is possible to fly it in a confined area if you have the skills or no better place to fly.
+1 on this
Nov 02, 2019, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged

Never understood why this long, long, thread wound up in the Parkflyer forum. This model needs a large unobstructed area to enjoy it's great performance including some really wild aerobatics. .

True.
Nov 02, 2019, 08:48 PM
Registered Hoser
Yup, the days of park flying are gone here. Chuck gliders and frisbees are about the only legal flying action in our parks. But, you can still play hardball. I preferred the wide open spaces anyway.
Nov 02, 2019, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80
Over 150 flights on mine, all stock. I just caught up about 6 months on the thread. About 70 flights ago, I also had problems ripping the landing gear out on a grass field. I went to 3.5 inch wheels and epoxied a 4x3 inch aluminum plate over the area that rips out. No problems since then.
Ha, funny you posted this, because I was just going to ask folks about their grass landings. MotionRC folks showed they were great, but every time I come in on grass, the metal struts bend and the plane flips on its nose, and those are not fast landings.

Did you pull the pants apart to put in bigger wheels? Did you just epoxy your plate over the area where they mount to the body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn. Krunch
I have too many flights to count on this one. She's still in perfect condition. I might get a few winter flights in.
Mine is the twin of yours Had it out flying today in some gusty winds, and it was a handful. I typically fly lower, but at one point when it dropped 15' straight down, I decided to start flying higher If it wasn't such a pain to take off the wings, I'd put a Lemon stability Rx to help level it out in winds.
Last edited by HeliFlyer14; Nov 02, 2019 at 10:31 PM.
Nov 03, 2019, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
Ha, funny you posted this, because I was just going to ask folks about their grass landings. MotionRC folks showed they were great, but every time I come in on grass, the metal struts bend and the plane flips on its nose, and those are not fast landings...
I flew with the original wheels and spats for a year or more. I flew from grass and I pulled off the undercarriage on bad landings more than once. But I got used to the plane and my accident rate went down. On smooth fields and short grass I think the original wheels/spats are ok when you know the plane.

Then I started flying from a rougher grass field more locally. Ruts and mole hills. Accident rate went right up again - flipping on nose taking off and landing. I've now swapped over to 4.2" wheels without spats and I can get it up and landed without a problem. Still flies nicely.

So I think it all depends on practice and the quality of your field.
Nov 03, 2019, 11:52 AM
Registered Hoser
I have to agree that grass landings are challenging. My technique is to "blast off" the ground and land with a high AOA at stall speed to minimize landing roll out. I still take home some nice cuttings from the field that remain stuffed in the wheel pants I do get to fly off of a landing strip most of the time but at the farm, anything goes.
HeliF, I found this plane to be one of the best for wind as a biplane goes. I do have my cog forward with a 3000 4 cell but she's quite tame. Gusts kill planes though, I know that!
Nov 03, 2019, 12:31 PM
I fly small to medium sized balsa or foam electric models and enjoy practicing scale-like takeoffs, touch and go, scale like landings and taxi-back to the pits. Models with small wheels and wheel pants can't take off and land or ground taxi in typical grass stubble without blasting off the ground, and flipping over on landings, usually with some damage to landing gear. Models with trike gear really need smooth surfaces.
Nov 03, 2019, 01:57 PM
Registered Hoser
Yes a graceful scale takeoff and landing are my favorite as well. But, when confronted with jungle take off strips, jungle rules apply
I appreciate the larger tires and removing the wheel pants, lots of full size did as well.
Case in point, I upped the size of tires on some of my warbirds just because the stock ones were silly-small. Most Dynam warbirds did it right, the 109, Hellcat and Typhoon. There was no need to change them. The 190 was almost comical though...
The first Waco i ever rode in had no wheel pants. I have a feeling the tires were not the original size either. Watching the patches on the Stits covering flapping in the wind, engine backfiring when throttling down, ah those were the days... Barstow-Daggett, Rides were $20 . You only paid for barf bags if you used them
Nov 03, 2019, 08:04 PM
My flight field has a cloth runway that is about 20' wide. The one end typically has some pretty good wind turbulence depending on wind direction, as it was yesterday. What happens to me with higher winds, is I have a heck of time keeping it lined up when coming down the runway on a landing, so what ends up happening is I get off to one side or the other is the 'rough", and end up with a grass landing.

I was think I might be able to make a brace coming off each landing strut, coming up to the body middle line, to provide bracing for when the grass landings to occur. The plane will still tip over, but at least the landing gear won't twist like it does now.
Nov 04, 2019, 07:59 AM

Waco / Tiger Moth wing man flying

Did some formation and wing-man flying with Cpt.chaos Canada yesterday; he flying his Tiger Moth and I flying the Red Waco. We don't get to do this too often, but we are definitely getting better at it.

Dynam Waco & Tiger Moth Formation Flying (8 min 4 sec)
Nov 04, 2019, 08:09 AM
Build, crash, repeat...
My field is grass, and my landings nose over about half the time, and I've ripped the gear plate out a couple of times. It's now secured with bamboo skewers. The good landings are accomplished by giving the throttle a little bump and full up elevator just as the wheels touch.

Quick Reply