Jul 15, 2021, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Ha..ha. Iím not too worried about the measles/mumps. Doubt that itís contagious! Even with careful handling a foamy this big is going to get some bumps and bruises. Just got to accept that.

I was looking again at the motor and I donít think mine has the one pictured as a replacement on the Banana site. It looks like itís shorter and mounted on spacers to bring it out to the proper position. It does look like it could be removed w/o splitting the fuse - but I donít plan to mess with it as long as it works ok.
4 screws like any other plane, it slides right out.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2021, 07:16 PM
After flying it stock a couple times it was an easy decision to upgrade the ESC to 60A, and run a 4S 3200 50C pack. I'm waiting for some 9 in props to arrive, so I tried it with the stock prop. Its definitely stronger than before, but still very slow. I mounted the ESC outside the fuse over heat concerns, since theres no airflow inside the fuse to speak of. I ran it pretty hard near 90% throttle climbing to a few hundred feet on most of the 5 minute timer, 3.76 (24%). Nothing heated up beyond warm. No magic smoke. Will have to see how it does with a 9.5 prop.

I didnt realize the TopRC EDF was the Super Surfer. I almost bought that a few months ago after having so much fun with the Swift. I liked how they made the EDF and pusher prop interchangeable on that monster. I dont think I have room for two planes this big, lol.
Aug 03, 2021, 11:03 AM
So a couple weeks ago I got my 9 inch prop, and then an aileron servo failed right after launch. It had gone about 100 yards, but was still very low and the crash was pretty tame. The fuse split on the seam, so I just hot glued it back together.

The Aileron servo sucks to replace, because its on a 3 foot wire. I dont keep 3 foot extensions around, so I had to solder a bit. Then upon testing that, the elevator servo puked too. When I performed an autopsy on both I found the plastic gears had become brittle and lost teeth. I'm guessing because these models have been sitting in a warehouse for years, or they are just elcheapo. I replaced both with metal gear, and have a half dozen more 17g metal gear servos in the parts supply now. I didnt feel like swapping out the rest just yet.

Finally after two weeks of down time I put it in the air this morning with all the upgrades, 4s and bigger prop, and when I built it I got the carbon fiber wing spar, and its like a different plane. At 50% throttle it powered right up to 200 feet with authority in less than 30 seconds. On 3s it took my whole pack at full throttle and 5 minutes to get there. Full throttle scared me a little, I didnt want the wings to fly off on it's maiden.
It easily did multiple loops, like 5 in a row, small and big, it didnt care. Barrels were a little exciting, they take a 100 yards and 100 feet of wing slip lol.

Its a lovely plane, and really turns heads, but omg its so huge! I dont even have to transport it anywhere, but walking it through the house is an adventure. I feel like I'm moving a couch or mattress...

Super Sky Surfer upgrade maiden (2 min 18 sec)
Last edited by SnoRiver; Aug 03, 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Aug 03, 2021, 07:17 PM
For those that are interested, spare wings are back in stock at Banana's:
https://www.bananahobby.com/right-ma...6337-prd1.html.
I suppose it means both wings, not just the right one.
Rudder and Elevator are still not in stock.
Aug 22, 2021, 07:17 PM
Mine finally suffered a catastrophic aileron failure, and augured into the ground at high speed and was irreparably destroyed. If I get another big glider I am gonna get an FMS Fox. This was a nice plane for the price, but I had 3 control surface problems, and I wonder if they sat in a warehouse a long long time.
Sep 24, 2021, 01:24 PM
fly the pants off it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRiver
Mine finally suffered a catastrophic aileron failure, and augured into the ground at high speed and was irreparably destroyed. If I get another big glider I am gonna get an FMS Fox. This was a nice plane for the price, but I had 3 control surface problems, and I wonder if they sat in a warehouse a long long time.
can you detail what went wrong?
Sep 24, 2021, 01:26 PM
fly the pants off it!
Hey everyone! I just put in an order for the sss and would like to know if anyone can give me the motor size so I can order an upgrade?
Sep 24, 2021, 09:55 PM
I have an NTM 3536 1800Kv with an 8x6 2blade prop and a 70A Dynam ESC.
At WOT with a 5000mah 60c 3S battery the motor draws 66A and yields 736W,
That is maybe a bit much but I like to go vertical
Sep 25, 2021, 05:27 AM
fly the pants off it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
I have an NTM 3536 1800Kv with an 8x6 2blade prop and a 70A Dynam ESC.
At WOT with a 5000mah 60c 3S battery the motor draws 66A and yields 736W,
That is maybe a bit much but I like to go vertical
Awesome! Did you have to reinforce the motor bay?
Sep 25, 2021, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando211
Awesome! Did you have to reinforce the motor bay?
No, just the glued-in firewall.
Sep 25, 2021, 07:42 PM
what goes up, must come down..
fwiw Lando, I flew mine with Hacker A30 10XL V2 1185kv motor, 9x7x3 MAS prop, and 4S 5000mah flight lipo. I just had the Hacker lying around at the time so I threw it in. From memory I didn't do much to install the motor, more so removing foam to make room for the can and cross mount was all. I don't remember the motor pylon needing strengthening, it was more so the main wing saddle immediately in front of the motor pylon that was an apparent weak point, I had split my fuselage when I fitted all my fpv gear in it so while it was split I glued some cf rods into the saddle.
This setup was great, I used to do regular 10km runs and had enough power at the prop to slide across grass to take off with one 4s 5000mah, two of those lipos (2 x 4s 5000) I had to handlaunch.
Great plane though, for all the other planes I have had, I have regretted selling this SSS.
Stretching my memory, this was 2015/2016.
Hope this helps a little
Sep 25, 2021, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando211
can you detail what went wrong?
too many pieces in too many places when it did its drill bit impression from very high
Sep 26, 2021, 11:20 AM
fly the pants off it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRiver
So a couple weeks ago I got my 9 inch prop, and then an aileron servo failed right after launch. It had gone about 100 yards, but was still very low and the crash was pretty tame. The fuse split on the seam, so I just hot glued it back together.

The Aileron servo sucks to replace, because its on a 3 foot wire. I dont keep 3 foot extensions around, so I had to solder a bit. Then upon testing that, the elevator servo puked too. When I performed an autopsy on both I found the plastic gears had become brittle and lost teeth. I'm guessing because these models have been sitting in a warehouse for years, or they are just elcheapo. I replaced both with metal gear, and have a half dozen more 17g metal gear servos in the parts supply now. I didnt feel like swapping out the rest just yet.

Finally after two weeks of down time I put it in the air this morning with all the upgrades, 4s and bigger prop, and when I built it I got the carbon fiber wing spar, and its like a different plane. At 50% throttle it powered right up to 200 feet with authority in less than 30 seconds. On 3s it took my whole pack at full throttle and 5 minutes to get there. Full throttle scared me a little, I didnt want the wings to fly off on it's maiden.
It easily did multiple loops, like 5 in a row, small and big, it didnt care. Barrels were a little exciting, they take a 100 yards and 100 feet of wing slip lol.

Its a lovely plane, and really turns heads, but omg its so huge! I dont even have to transport it anywhere, but walking it through the house is an adventure. I feel like I'm moving a couch or mattress...

https://youtu.be/dEZAdROGYzM
Can you share a link for the carbon spar?
Sep 26, 2021, 03:28 PM
PCT .500" x 48" Pultruded Carbon Tube

https://goodwinds.com/product/pct-50...d-carbon-tube/
Oct 14, 2021, 06:28 PM
fly the pants off it!
Hey guys can you use ca on this plane?

Quick Reply