Thread Tools
Feb 28, 2013, 01:26 AM
Registered User
RocketJoe's Avatar
ok
some of you guyz are talking about having 4s 5000mah batteries in yours..how are you locating them to keep the cg around 95-100mm...

I put in 2 2800mah and that looks pretty close to the max up front...

just curious
..
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2013, 04:53 AM
Registered User
G-LO's Avatar
Thanks for that simple question Rocketjoe. All that FPV off topic talk have TOTALLY lost me! I have NO idea why this permitted ....don't get me wrong its fine, but this topic is talked about all day in the FPV thread. Can we talk about what's unique about the plane and can a "New" thread be created titled ..... "FPV and the Super Sky Surfer" or something? This thread is not the same anymore...who knows, probably SSS is a boring plane to talk about by after all .
Feb 28, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
a single 5000mah is almost perfect for the nose. its lighter than two 2800's by a bunch!
If you fly larger than 4000mah... or even fly this plane for that matter the wing and motor pod have to be reinforced.

For two 5000mah I will be using one in the nose and the other in the bay under the wing right at CG.

G-LO
I went back 4 pages... besides a few posts about what fpv equipment and a few pictures, this is still talking about the plane and its capabilities. If you do not FPV, learn from these statements because FPV guys build the planes much stronger and reliable than standard LOS'ers...

The parachute recovery does not directly relate to FPV. I personally would look into this If i did not have a large enough space to land in, even LOS.

Battery ratings, weights, motors used, CG, flight characteristics... those are all the plane not FPV. The remotes used may be focused on FPV but they are still just a remote. Even If I LOS'd the SSS I would not trust anything less than my UHF because of the size of this plane. I can easily LOS it to 1 mile up and that is on the extreme ends of any 2.4ghz system.

At least this thread is still alive. look at the threads out there dedicated to a off the shelf plane. They are dead after a few months, except those that people FPV since we are always trying to better an airframe and help others with flaws.

Chris
Feb 28, 2013, 11:27 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
CrashAffinity's Avatar
2 x 5000 or 2 x 5800 is what i do on the SSS as well, works great, in the same locations that chanyote66 stated
Feb 28, 2013, 11:44 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
<SNIP>

At least this thread is still alive. look at the threads out there dedicated to a off the shelf plane. They are dead after a few months, except those that people FPV since we are always trying to better an airframe and help others with flaws.

Chris
Not exactly true. The original Sky Surfer thread that I started almost 3 years ago is still the most popular and most posted thread in RCG and that is most certainly an off the shelf plane. It is interesting to note that there is also a popular Sky Surfer FPV thread where we send all the FPV folks. Just sayin'.
AJ
Feb 28, 2013, 11:47 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
CrashAffinity's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
...Even If I LOS'd the SSS I would not trust anything less than my UHF because of the size of this plane. I can easily LOS it to 1 mile up and that is on the extreme ends of any 2.4ghz system...

Chris
i'm still being lazy and haven't installed the dragon link yet on mine, so i fly up to about 4km away using my DX8... but next couple weeks it's time to get that DL on there
Mar 03, 2013, 01:38 AM
Registered User
I put a 5s 4000 mAh LiPo in mine, and took the ESC out of the nose compartment and moved it back to the trailing edge of the wing. Stuck it to the outside of the fuselage under the trailing edge of the left wing, directly beneath the motor pod. I also installed a larger, heavier motor.

That proved a little too much - the plane came out tailheavy. Oops. So I moved the ESC to the nose again, and stuck it to the outside of the left side of the nose. Looks a little odd, but it keeps the ESC (and the inside of the nose compartment) cooler.

Now I've ordered a 5800 mAh 5s LiPo, but haven't had a chance to put it in yet. When I do, the the ESC is going back under the trailing edge again. Hopefully this time it will balance out.

Sure, I could measure all the weights and calculate all the moment arms. But that would take all the fun and mystery out of it. This is a toy after all.
Mar 03, 2013, 02:24 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar

External SBEC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
<SNIP>

Now I've ordered a 5800 mAh 5s LiPo, but haven't had a chance to put it in yet. When I do, the the ESC is going back under the trailing edge again. Hopefully this time it will balance out.

Sure, I could measure all the weights and calculate all the moment arms. But that would take all the fun and mystery out of it. This is a toy after all.
If you use a separate SBEC, cooling is not a problem at all. Then, you don't have to ugly up your plane.
AJ
Mar 03, 2013, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
I put a 5s 4000 mAh LiPo in mine, and took the ESC out of the nose compartment and moved it back to the trailing edge of the wing. Stuck it to the outside of the fuselage under the trailing edge of the left wing, directly beneath the motor pod. I also installed a larger, heavier motor.

That proved a little too much - the plane came out tailheavy. Oops. So I moved the ESC to the nose again, and stuck it to the outside of the left side of the nose. Looks a little odd, but it keeps the ESC (and the inside of the nose compartment) cooler.

Now I've ordered a 5800 mAh 5s LiPo, but haven't had a chance to put it in yet. When I do, the the ESC is going back under the trailing edge again. Hopefully this time it will balance out.

Sure, I could measure all the weights and calculate all the moment arms. But that would take all the fun and mystery out of it. This is a toy after all.
im using a 3s 5000 and the balance is 4 1/2 inches back from leading edge, a 50 amp esc with 4 amp built in sbec and this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226 and a 9x5 apc E prop. So ya think it would handle a 4s 5000 ?
Mar 03, 2013, 04:05 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
im using a 3s 5000 and the balance is 4 1/2 inches back from leading edge, a 50 amp esc with 4 amp built in sbec and this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226 and a 9x5 apc E prop. So ya think it would handle a 4s 5000 ?
Yes. It is rated for a 3S-4S.
AJ
Mar 04, 2013, 12:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
im using a 3s 5000 and the balance is 4 1/2 inches back from leading edge, a 50 amp esc with 4 amp built in sbec and this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226 and a 9x5 apc E prop. So ya think it would handle a 4s 5000 ?
I've never had my CG that far back. When mine was at about 4-1/4 inches behind the leading edge, the nose would bob up and down, the plane would stall frequently, and would be generally difficult to get along with. I considered that behavior unacceptable. On my plane, I found that exactly 4" behind the leading edge, was the farthest back that the plane would fly decently with. Does yours handle OK with it 4-1/2 inches back?

BTW, some people here have found that flying with a gyro on the elevator, lets you fly with the CG farther aft. The gyro damps out a lot of that nose-bobbing, basically doing the pilot's job for him, which is handy since you don't have your posterior in the pilot's seat and can't react to instability until it has gone too far, but the gyro can.

Hobby King says that motor can handle a 4s LiPo. But they indicate that they used a 9x6 prop on a 2-cell battery, and recommended an 8x4 with a 4-cell. I've noticed that most brushless motor manufacturers recommend smaller propellers for many cells, and larger props only for fewer cells.

It's not a bad idea to use an Amp meter to find out how much current draw your motor has with various batteries and props. If you don't have one, then I'd suggest starting with the 8x4 prop that Hobby King recommends for a 4s battery. Make several flights, and after each one, check how warm your motor and ESC are.

Then try the larger diameter prop, do a flight with medium motor use, and then land quickly without a long glide. When it comes to a stop, put your finger directly on the motor casing. If you smell something cooking, you're probably using too large a prop for that battery.
Mar 04, 2013, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
I've never had my CG that far back. When mine was at about 4-1/4 inches behind the leading edge, the nose would bob up and down, the plane would stall frequently, and would be generally difficult to get along with. I considered that behavior unacceptable. On my plane, I found that exactly 4" behind the leading edge, was the farthest back that the plane would fly decently with. Does yours handle OK with it 4-1/2 inches back?

BTW, some people here have found that flying with a gyro on the elevator, lets you fly with the CG farther aft. The gyro damps out a lot of that nose-bobbing, basically doing the pilot's job for him, which is handy since you don't have your posterior in the pilot's seat and can't react to instability until it has gone too far, but the gyro can.

Hobby King says that motor can handle a 4s LiPo. But they indicate that they used a 9x6 prop on a 2-cell battery, and recommended an 8x4 with a 4-cell. I've noticed that most brushless motor manufacturers recommend smaller propellers for many cells, and larger props only for fewer cells.

It's not a bad idea to use an Amp meter to find out how much current draw your motor has with various batteries and props. If you don't have one, then I'd suggest starting with the 8x4 prop that Hobby King recommends for a 4s battery. Make several flights, and after each one, check how warm your motor and ESC are.

Then try the larger diameter prop, do a flight with medium motor use, and then land quickly without a long glide. When it comes to a stop, put your finger directly on the motor casing. If you smell something cooking, you're probably using too large a prop for that battery.
Not really ! I have to be on the sticks constantly, ill try 4 inches and move battery to get cog,see how that works
Mar 04, 2013, 05:12 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
Not really ! I have to be on the sticks constantly, ill try 4 inches and move battery to get cog,see how that works
The plane becomes a pleasure to fly when the CG is in the right position. The difference a small move makes, is surprising.

In my plane I've found that 3-3/4" to 4" works best. The further forward you move the CG, the more it tends to dive when launched, requiring a quick up-elevator to keep it off the grass (or off the snow in your case )
Mar 04, 2013, 10:55 PM
Registered User
Beerwiser's Avatar
I always have a switch setup that gives a bit of up elevator for my hand launched planes-gives a guy a little grace to get your hands on the sticks. Especially usefull if you are nose heavy.
Mar 05, 2013, 12:43 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
seearestacey's Avatar
Is anyone using RVOSD Gen5 on the SSS? Just wonding if there are some settings or tips that people have found to be optimal for this plane. Getting ready for my maiden voyage...
Thanks!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer JoshB Electric Plane Talk 12 Feb 14, 2012 11:01 PM
Found Looking for BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Airframe Only or Wing Set cutty01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 16, 2010 03:16 PM
Discussion BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Aerobatic Flench Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Feb 13, 2010 03:17 PM
Discussion sky surfer powered parachute $29.95 w/ Free shipping interplanet Hot Online Deals 26 Dec 30, 2008 10:58 PM