New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:28 AM
ajbaker is offline
Find More Posts by ajbaker
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar

Cap Size for SSS (to kinda, sorta keep on topic)


Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
The cap is not to be used as a backup power but rather to handle high current spikes. Therfore I don't think larger caps then the one sold on HK is necessary.
Thank you. I knew that the cap was really just a filter in this application. Of course, there is some truth that a cap acts like a battery (and a lot of other things as I am sure you know) for a very brief period of time (for the folks that want to use that perspective). Ever touch a flyback transformer lead (to the TV tube)?. Then, I will keep doing what I am doing on my SSS (and other planes)
AJ
P.S. Did I screw up somewhere and say a cap was a battery?
I gotta get some pillow time. <yawn>. It must be about 11am there. Have a stack of pancakes.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:29 PM
EricClark is offline
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar

Maiden Flight!


Woo! Got my SSS in the air this afternoon and what a sweet flyer it is! Running mine on 4S with a Phoenix 60 ESC and an APC 8x6 prop (stock motor and servos) weighing in at 5lbs AUW, it is impressive! I replaced every single linkage with 2-56 threaded rods and I cut off all the control surfaces and rehinged them with packing tape. Aside from the power mod and the control surface mods I didn't really do much else to the SSS, just a custom paint scheme.

I got some sweet landing pics too, I will upload them shortly.

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
FlyingGolem is offline
Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Subsurface flying expert
FlyingGolem's Avatar
I am loving that paint scheme. That must be some real powdery snow.
Last edited by FlyingGolem; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:42 PM
fastfwd is offline
Find More Posts by fastfwd
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Woo! Got my SSS in the air this afternoon and what a sweet flyer it is! Running mine on 4S with a Phoenix 60 ESC and an APC 8x6 prop (stock motor and servos) weighing in at 5lbs AUW, it is impressive! I replaced every single linkage with 2-56 threaded rods and I cut off all the control surfaces and rehinged them with packing tape. Aside from the power mod and the control surface mods I didn't really do much else to the SSS, just a custom paint scheme.

I got some sweet landing pics too, I will upload them shortly.

Eric
That wing tipping is something this SSS will do alot of,keep her level and some speed or you'll do it alot.just the way it is on this plane Nice colors man !
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 PM
EricClark is offline
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
Its very powdery , tipping the wing.. yup, definitely noticed that, and thanks for the compliments on the paint scheme!

And here are the landing pictures I promised.

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:36 PM
EricClark is offline
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
Here is my paint scheme design if anyone is interested. Feel free to copy, mod, etc!

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
chanyote66 is offline
Find More Posts by chanyote66
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Hey Eric,

I have to STRONGLY Recommend reinforcing your Wing area... My setup was almost exactly like yours and it tore in flight...


Chris
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 PM
ajbaker is offline
Find More Posts by ajbaker
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar

Questioning your environment


Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Here is my paint scheme design if anyone is interested. Feel free to copy, mod, etc!

Eric
Ok. I will jump in there with everyone else. Nice, really nice paint scheme. I had to look at the picture very closely on the wing in the snow. It looks like the whole right aileron is in the snow. It even seems possible for the snow to totally "eat" the entire plane on landing. I have never seen snow that fluffy. Are you sure that is snow and not just micro styrofoam balls?

AJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:26 PM
chanyote66 is offline
Find More Posts by chanyote66
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I have never seen snow that fluffy. Are you sure that is snow and not just micro styrofoam balls?

AJ
You should see champagne powder up in steamboat Springs Colorado... Its so soft just the plane coming into land would lift it off the ground and over the plane...

It feels like thick air when you push your arm through it, and skiing through it is a dream... I miss the snow... I want my SSS to enjoy fluffy landings too

Chris
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:30 PM
porcia83 is offline
Find More Posts by porcia83
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Here is my paint scheme design if anyone is interested. Feel free to copy, mod, etc!

Eric
Lovin it! Hard to miss that SSS cruising on by. Saaweeet!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:49 PM
EricClark is offline
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Hey Eric,

I have to STRONGLY Recommend reinforcing your Wing area... My setup was almost exactly like yours and it tore in flight...


Chris
I plan on it. I tugged on it before I flew it and deemed it acceptable for low G maneuvering (couple laps around the field) but before I really tear up the skies (if thats possible with a SSS lol) I will reinforce it in some way.

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:53 PM
EricClark is offline
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ok. I will jump in there with everyone else. Nice, really nice paint scheme. I had to look at the picture very closely on the wing in the snow. It looks like the whole right aileron is in the snow. It even seems possible for the snow to totally "eat" the entire plane on landing. I have never seen snow that fluffy. Are you sure that is snow and not just micro styrofoam balls?

AJ
Thank you.

Oh the snow is quite real. There was a snow storm this weekend and it was completely untouched before I invaded it with my SSS.

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:56 PM
EricClark is offline
Find More Posts by EricClark
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Lovin it! Hard to miss that SSS cruising on by. Saaweeet!
Haha, yeah, I was rather amazed how well it turned out. It looked alright "on paper" but I wasn't sure until it took to the skies... then I was stunned. It stood out so well, there was no way I was going to get disoriented!

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:18 PM
chanyote66 is offline
Find More Posts by chanyote66
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
I plan on it. I tugged on it before I flew it and deemed it acceptable for low G maneuvering (couple laps around the field) but before I really tear up the skies (if thats possible with a SSS lol) I will reinforce it in some way.

Eric
Ya... thats what I thought too... Was in a nice calm circle around my field when it just failed

My new one has 4 layers of protection... Paracord soaked in gg, Fiber Tape, Epoxy coating, and then Vinyl wrap...

Chris
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:25 PM
road_rascal is offline
Find More Posts by road_rascal
Registered User
Any photos of the reinforcement? I'm building mine (kit) and have been putting small strips of CF flats embedded in the foam where (I think) the weak points are. I may end up glassing the area once I get the fuse halves together.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer JoshB Electric Plane Talk 12 Feb 15, 2012 12:01 AM
Found Looking for BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Airframe Only or Wing Set cutty01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 16, 2010 04:16 PM
Discussion BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Aerobatic Flench Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Feb 13, 2010 04:17 PM
Discussion sky surfer powered parachute $29.95 w/ Free shipping interplanet Hot Online Deals 26 Dec 30, 2008 11:58 PM