Thread Tools
Jan 08, 2013, 12:31 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
What's the trick to removing the wing servos so easily?
flex the wing slightly (twisting it from root to tip) this will loosen the wing servos and then they just pop out with a little force. The glue gave way and the foam stayed perfect.

I only twist mine a few degrees, not enough to cause stress on the spar tubes.

Chris
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2013, 01:43 PM
Registered User
Thanks Chris, I'll try that. I've got one side done still need to do the 2 on the other wing.
Jan 08, 2013, 03:32 PM
Registered User
BldrFlyr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf
+1

This aint a shuttle lunch, the wx is fine, get that thing in the air!

Really looking forward to seeing a video of a SSS ruby landing!



Did I read in an earlier post that you used 1 oz kevlar? APC? Epoxy or WBPU polycrylic type product?

Whatever you did, it looks sharp. Nicely done.

Now get that thing airborn. We are all waiting on you.

BG
Here's the Kevlar I used. Search my posts for details on the application.

http://www.acpsales.com/1.7-oz.-Kevl...ain-Weave.html

It's been in the air and flies like it should. We're tweaking the Ruby a bit for better high altitude flying and ascending as well as faster aided mode cruising.
This is a great FPV platform for stable and steady flight with good slow video details.
Jan 08, 2013, 04:03 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
BldrFlyr,
you only changed to a 440W motor?

With all of those modifications I wonder if my 755W motor im throwing on my rebuild is really that much overkill...

The stats from gobrushless...
APC E 10x5
14.75V
38.45A
567W
2211g thrust
77.99oz thrust
Last edited by chanyote66; Jan 08, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Jan 08, 2013, 06:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
BldrFlyr,
you only changed to a 440W motor?

With all of those modifications I wonder if my 755W motor im throwing on my rebuild is really that much overkill...

The stats from gobrushless...
APC E 10x5
14.75V
38.45A
567W
2211g thrust
77.99oz thrust
Which motor is that?

The 1000W motor in mine doesn't change the flight characteristics much. Still the same slow, soaring flights, easy cruise around the sky, launches the same (only half throttle needed for a nice climbout), lands the same, etc. But if you get in trouble, pull the nose up and apply full throttle, and it vertical-climbs out of whatever bad situation you're in. Handy. And I've gotten a number of nice, long flights out of it.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Jan 08, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Jan 08, 2013, 08:02 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
BravoGolf's Avatar

sss ruby video


Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr
Here's the Kevlar I used. Search my posts for details on the application.

http://www.acpsales.com/1.7-oz.-Kevl...ain-Weave.html

It's been in the air and flies like it should. We're tweaking the Ruby a bit for better high altitude flying and ascending as well as faster aided mode cruising.
This is a great FPV platform for stable and steady flight with good slow video details.
bldrflyr, Thanks for the flight report. Really looking forward to seeing some of your onboard footage.

I meant to correct my post...when I wrote APC I meant ACP. Thanks for the link. I just did a farily large order with them and I think I actually picked up some of the 1.7 oz Kevlar.

BG
Jan 09, 2013, 12:43 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Which motor is that?

The 1000W motor in mine doesn't change the flight characteristics much. Still the same slow, soaring flights, easy cruise around the sky, launches the same (only half throttle needed for a nice climbout), lands the same, etc. But if you get in trouble, pull the nose up and apply full throttle, and it vertical-climbs out of whatever bad situation you're in. Handy. And I've gotten a number of nice, long flights out of it.
That is the Turnigy AeroDrive SK3 3542 1000kv but Im going to go with the 3542 1180kv to stay a little closer to stock kv...


Chris
Jan 09, 2013, 12:48 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
CrashAffinity's Avatar
i'm starting to think i may have to upgrade my motor... flying WOT for 10 minutes straight doesn't sound like the best idea
Jan 09, 2013, 08:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
flex the wing slightly (twisting it from root to tip) this will loosen the wing servos and then they just pop out with a little force. The glue gave way and the foam stayed perfect.

I only twist mine a few degrees, not enough to cause stress on the spar tubes.

Chris
That worked great. They came right out. Thanks.
Jan 09, 2013, 08:12 AM
Chi va piano, va lontano
guaglione87's Avatar
Anybody here manage to hook up a UHF to their SSS on the tail? I ask cause I have the arf which has the fuselage glued and so I'm not sure how to route the wires to mount the UHF rx wires to keep the module at the tail. I'd hate to route all the wires externally, and outside of splitting my fuse, I'm wondering if I can punch a hole thru the whole tail section and cut a hatch out 6 in. From the tail without compromising the structure...
Jan 09, 2013, 01:28 PM
Registered User
BldrFlyr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
BldrFlyr,
you only changed to a 440W motor?

With all of those modifications I wonder if my 755W motor im throwing on my rebuild is really that much overkill...

The stats from gobrushless...
APC E 10x5
14.75V
38.45A
567W
2211g thrust
77.99oz thrust
Here's some data on motor and props I've used. I checked my CC esc data log last night after a few flights and was pulling about 930watts with my OS and 10x6 prop.

Not sure why everyone says 440w. Look at the detailed specs of this motor on 4s 9x6, it's at 1025w.

I might try a 9x6 just see the difference in efficiency at slower cruising speeds.
Jan 09, 2013, 01:35 PM
Registered User
BldrFlyr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87
Anybody here manage to hook up a UHF to their SSS on the tail? I ask cause I have the arf which has the fuselage glued and so I'm not sure how to route the wires to mount the UHF rx wires to keep the module at the tail. I'd hate to route all the wires externally, and outside of splitting my fuse, I'm wondering if I can punch a hole thru the whole tail section and cut a hatch out 6 in. From the tail without compromising the structure...
My UHF 8ch diversity is on the tail however I had the fuse apart and internally ran the PPM wire. I still think the best location is out on the wing. I'm going to check interference and such with the vtx in the front canopy with uhf rx out back but I might relocate both vtx and uhf rx on opposite wings. That just gives you the best separation and less hardware/stuff around them. This purely is for I'd say 3+ mile range or further.
Jan 09, 2013, 01:57 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
guaglione87's Avatar
Ok thanks. I may try to fab a tube runner on the side of plane and route the wire to the tail. I have range link on the tail. With that system the wires must be vertical so on the wing may bend on landings. I'll post a pick when done.
Jan 09, 2013, 02:12 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr
Not sure why everyone says 440w.
This is why...
From OS website:
Name: OS1200.jpg
Views: 137
Size: 50.8 KB
Description:
Jan 09, 2013, 02:17 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
chanyote66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr
I might relocate both vtx and uhf rx on opposite wings. This purely is for I'd say 3+ mile range or further.
I agree with you on this one...
I flew easily a mile with my VTX UHF RX and both antennas inside the fuse... But this was for only testing and trimming the plane never got to fly further since my wing removed itself from the plane mid flight

Chris


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer JoshB Electric Plane Talk 12 Feb 14, 2012 11:01 PM
Found Looking for BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Airframe Only or Wing Set cutty01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 16, 2010 03:16 PM
Discussion BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Aerobatic Flench Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Feb 13, 2010 03:17 PM
Discussion sky surfer powered parachute $29.95 w/ Free shipping interplanet Hot Online Deals 26 Dec 30, 2008 10:58 PM