Aug 22, 2012, 05:40 PM
Principal Member
I second the comment about the included garbage prop. I'm replacing mine with a 9x4.7 slowfly APC.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2012, 05:55 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Just speculation here but don't we usually do a few mods on almost every plane.
Plus this is a new plane and like everything there bugs to be worked out.
Very good info so far for what to check out during the building modding process.
My biggest concern so far is the power system and how to improve the wattage,mybe go to a larger prop or 4s bats with ubec.
Aug 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic
I think the big mistake here is the recommended battery pack by Banana hobbies. I honestly believe this plane was designed for a 3s 5000mah. Too much of a coincidence that a 5000mah 3s both fits perfectly in the battery pocket compartment AND balances the plane to a perfect CG.

The battery comparment measures 140x95x40mm, the 5k battery I'm using is 137x46x40mm.

This is the one i am using, HK says 429g.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16770

On a different note for those interested in flight data, i had my second FPV flight today. Used up 2900mah in a 36min flight. Max current draw at full throttle into a head wind was 25A.

I think that the manufacturer of the model went with the absolute smallest pack for the RTF configuration that will still have a reasonably stable CG, so to minimize cost. That's why the plane flies fine as seen in the BH video, assuming that it was done with the stock 3600 mah pack.
Aug 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic
I second the comment about the included garbage prop. I'm replacing mine with a 9x4.7 slowfly APC.
I sure would not recommend that. Slowlfly props are designed and limited to low rpm applications. This high KV motor spins the stock prop over 12,000 rpm - way beyond the design limits of a slowfly.

Also wouldn't recommend the suggestion for 4cell battery. The spec sheets supplied with the plane state maximum 3s for both motor and ESC. APC 9x6 prop way overloads the motor on 3s. There's not much you can do to improve performance and stay within the ratings of the motor and ESC. APC 8x8 might work but I didn't have one to try.
Aug 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Watched the BH vid on this SSS again and I can assure you the target market is flying a camera around. Studied the LES (large establishing shot), the edits to shot and music and the plane had nothing to do but fly up and down the beach. Promoters / advertisers impression management is FPV.

So some are in full career of trying to figure out what to do about this plane with it's issues. And now here comes the mods, again! It seems like from what y'all are saying it's like the Bix V1 all over again. Get it out of the box and start building a plane.

Consider my statements in the context of the 'Not-yet-flown-yet' student. So I don't have an RC Groups board to tell me what to do. It comes in a box on the blessed UPS day and I put it together just like it says.

I am looking foreword to hearing from you as to how it flys dead nuts out of the box stock. Thats the product thats being sold.

DJ
Aug 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Successful maiden!

I did a ROG from fairly short grass. It took about an 80ft run to get airborne but then had adequate power for a moderate climbout. Plane remained controllable on the ground and flew with nice stability. It's slow, as expected, but not so underpowered as to be dangerous or difficult to fly.

Response to control input is soft but generally predictable. It will maintain level flight, albeit very slowly, at greatly reduced throttle settings. There's adequate power from level flight for a small loop. I didn't attempt a roll or inverted yet.

The flaps slowed it nicely for landing with minimal or no shift in trim when deployed. It rolled straight in the grass, dropping the wing at the last moment.

It's flight performance is perfectly satisfactory, despite concerns about it's low power.
Flew for about 13 minutes and used about 1800mah out of the battery.

DJ: Mine's "dead nuts out of the box stock." I, too, expect a product to be at least minimally satisfactory as supplied. This one is.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 22, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Aug 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
Suspended Account

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
Watched the BH vid on this SSS again and I can assure you the target market is flying a camera around. Studied the LES (large establishing shot), the edits to shot and music and the plane had nothing to do but fly up and down the beach. Promoters / advertisers impression management is FPV.

So some are in full career of trying to figure out what to do about this plane with it's issues. And now here comes the mods, again! It seems like from what y'all are saying it's like the Bix V1 all over again. Get it out of the box and start building a plane.

Consider my statements in the context of the 'Not-yet-flown-yet' student. So I don't have an RC Groups board to tell me what to do. It comes in a box on the blessed UPS day and I put it together just like it says.

DJ

I agree, I try to go with all stock stuff unless it screams out for replacement. I have the Bixler 2 and the SSS heading my way in the next week or so. At best I'll throw a Gopro or a keychain camera on one to see what it does.
I am looking foreword to hearing from you as to how it flys dead nuts out of the box stock. Thats the product thats being sold.
Aug 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor

DJ
I plan to set it up box stock, the only change I will make is the prop perhaps. and will add a BEC, because I'm a hipo sailplane jockey, so all of my servos will be working hard.
Aug 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Successful maiden!

I did a ROG from fairly short grass. It took about an 80ft run to get airborne but then had adequate power for a moderate climbout. Plane remained controllable on the ground and flew with nice stability. It's slow, as expected, but not so underpowered as to be dangerous or difficult to fly.

Response to control input is soft but generally predictable. It will maintain level flight, albeit very slowly, at greatly reduced throttle settings. There's adequate power from level flight for a small loop. I didn't attempt a roll or inverted yet.

The flaps slowed it nicely for landing with minimal or no shift in trim when deployed. It rolled straight in the grass, dropping the wing at the last moment.

It's flight performance is perfectly satisfactory, despite concerns about it's low power.
Flew for about 13 minutes and used about 1800mah out of the battery.

DJ: Mine's "dead nuts out of the box stock." I, too, expect a product to be at least minimally satisfactory as supplied. This one is.
Well that is just what I wanted to know. It's 'Jam up and Jelly tight' .

Thank you. It is such an intersting plane but it follows in the foot steps of the great Sky Sufer so it has a lot to live up too.

DJ
Aug 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
I think that the manufacturer of the model went with the absolute smallest pack for the RTF configuration that will still have a reasonably stable CG, so to minimize cost. That's why the plane flies fine as seen in the BH video, assuming that it was done with the stock 3600 mah pack.
To be honest in the past they have provided flight video for there planes for sale but as it turns out they modded the plane to reach desired results.
For a $150 plane this large I would guess there needs to be some refinments
Aug 22, 2012, 09:14 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I sure would not recommend that. Slowlfly props are designed and limited to low rpm applications. This high KV motor spins the stock prop over 12,000 rpm - way beyond the design limits of a slowfly.

Also wouldn't recommend the suggestion for 4cell battery. The spec sheets supplied with the plane state maximum 3s for both motor and ESC. APC 9x6 prop way overloads the motor on 3s. There's not much you can do to improve performance and stay within the ratings of the motor and ESC. APC 8x8 might work but I didn't have one to try.
A general rule of thumb is 3watts per gram of motor so that puts it into the 390 watt range plus it is a 40amp esc and seems like most are opting for the ubec
That being said I have a 1300kv motor that could run all day long at 600watts plus it would help in balancing as it weighs 58grams.

The best thing is to use a wattsup meter and check the temps with an ir gun.
As far as rpm 12k is no load rpm a prop will reduce that and using a quality prop like an APC prop might be ok as if it were a high quality motor it would be in the 80% range.
Aug 22, 2012, 09:27 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1
To be honest in the past they have provided flight video for there planes for sale but as it turns out they modded the plane to reach desired results.
For a $150 plane this large I would guess there needs to be some refinments
No Sir, no
We are only to justify the differences between product as advertised and or hopes, expectations representing our intentions.

They must provide the product as advertised. If we think we can improve it then that's our personal intent. If we don't know how to use it that's our misunderstanding.

DJ
Aug 22, 2012, 09:27 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Quote:
A general rule of thumb is 3watts per gram of motor so that puts it into the 390 watt range.
The motor spec sheet calls for a max of 29 amps and max 3s. That would put power consumption at about 350 watts max.
Aug 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Quote:

The best thing is to use a wattsup meter and check the temps with an ir gun.
As far as rpm 12k is no load rpm a prop will reduce that and using a quality prop like an APC prop might be ok as if it were a high quality motor it would be in the 80% range.

The 12360 RPM is measured with a digital tachometer on the stock power system at full power static. That's not "no load rpm."

And the power measurements were performed with a wattsup meter.

That 600 watt 1300kv motor would be a big upgrade and help in the balancing as well.

You might want to fly the plane with the stock power system before deciding about an upgrade.
The computed 59watts/lb sounds scary but, in actual practice, the plane flys pretty well.
As I've said before: stats give and idea but don't always tell the whole story.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Aug 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
The 12360 RPM is measured with a digital tachometer on the stock power system at full power static. That's not "no load rpm."

And the power measurements were performed with a wattsup meter.

That 600 watt 1300kv motor would be a big upgrade and help in the balancing as well.
Thanks nice to know that was done with a prop and tach as there has been so many numbers thrown around in just a short time.
It seems by your figures that the motor appears to be very good quality

Quick Reply