Nov 11, 2012, 11:01 AM

Fiberglass Wing Spar What I did to get them to fit better

As we all know that the fiberglass wing rods are really tight, just about enough to tear the wing apart either trying to install them onto the plane or pulling them apart.

What i did was put my big spar in a lathe and turned it with sandpaper which helped alot but was still tight going into the female part of the spar. So with the spar inserted into the wing , i hooked up it up to a cordless drill and turned the spar inside of the hollow wing spar enabling me to sand the inside diameter of the hollow wing spars . If you do try this technique just make sure you it will rotate lest you break free the hollow female wing spar. Mine is still tight enugh that i dont have to worry about the wings coming apart . You can use a drill instead of a lathe to rotate and sand your wing spar a few thousandths. Cled
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cled
As we all know that the fiberglass wing rods are really tight, just about enough to tear the wing apart either trying to install them onto the plane or pulling them apart.

What i did was put my big spar in a lathe and turned it with sandpaper which helped alot but was still tight going into the female part of the spar. So with the spar inserted into the wing , i hooked up it up to a cordless drill and turned the spar inside of the hollow wing spar enabling me to sand the inside diameter of the hollow wing spars . If you do try this technique just make sure you it will rotate lest you break free the hollow female wing spar. Mine is still tight enugh that i dont have to worry about the wings coming apart . You can use a drill instead of a lathe to rotate and sand your wing spar a few thousandths. Cled
I guess I was lucky to get a kit with proper clearance between the stock wing rod and the imbedded wing receptacles, so no adjustments were needed, with my SSS.
Nov 11, 2012, 11:23 AM

Gyros , what kind to get for my SSS

Hey guys i would like to get a gryo for my plane so it will fly a bit more level , which one will work for my plane and is there any pros or cons about flying with a gryo . I will need one to work with whatever FPV i will choose in the future . Thanks cled.
Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
i was running a 9x4.7 apc E on stock motor and 50 amp esc, way more power and everything was just barley warm after a 15 minute flight. never really got over 1/2 throttle except to climb, and it also did a full loop with that prop.
Yep, the stock esc is the reason why I run mine with an 8x6 and I thought it did well. this winter I'll install a bigger esc so I can use a bigger prop.
Nov 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Hey guys i would like to get a gryo for my plane so it will fly a bit more level , which one will work for my plane and is there any pros or cons about flying with a gryo . I will need one to work with whatever FPV i will choose in the future . Thanks cled.
There are some really good options out there right now, the two that I'm looking at are the gaurdian from Eagle tree, and the KK2 multicopter board with lcd flashed with openaero firmware
Nov 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
There are some really good options out there right now, the two that I'm looking at are the gaurdian from Eagle tree, and the KK2 multicopter board with lcd flashed with openaero firmware
The OA2 flashed KK2 is probably the best bet... It is cheap and very precise. I tested it in a flying wing and 20mph winds, I could keep the wing in one place just using throttle to stay in the wind!

Ill be putting KK2.0 in my SSS.

Chris
Nov 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
you can try anything from a simple gyro on one channel eg ailerons, to quite elaborate systems
depends on what you are trying to achieve, if it is for camera image stability, fpv (there are quite a few these days), or just lazy LOS flying
some folk use them to be able to fly twitchy planes, fly in stronger winds, or both

Google is your friend

simple method eg e-sky gyro on ails only
http://www.xheli.com/eskygyro.html

HK Orange
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tabilizer.html

FY30A
http://shop.fyetech.com/product_info...products_id=45

Edit: ooops, I missed antennahead's reply
also great suggestions, I've heard the eagletree standalone Guardian works well
Nov 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
The OA2 flashed KK2 is probably the best bet... It is cheap and very precise. I tested it in a flying wing and 20mph winds, I could keep the wing in one place just using throttle to stay in the wind!

Ill be putting KK2.0 in my SSS.

Chris
Is this OA2 flashed KK2, the kind of device where I can do the following?

1.) Unplug the rudder, elevator, and aileron servos from the receiver in my SSS;
2.) Plug the servos into this KK2 board;
3.) Plug the KK2 board into the receiver (maybe using extension cables) where the servos used to be.

And then my SSS will fly rock-steady, even in mildly bumpy winds, and never turn or dive except when I move the transmitter stick telling it to?

Do I have the basic idea here?

(Gee, how did you guess that I'm a complete novice at gyros? )

Is this the creature you're talking about?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
Nov 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Is this OA2 flashed KK2, the kind of device where I can do the following?

1.) Unplug the rudder, elevator, and aileron servos from the receiver in my SSS;
2.) Plug the servos into this KK2 board;
3.) Plug the KK2 board into the receiver (maybe using extension cables) where the servos used to be.

And then my SSS will fly rock-steady, even in mildly bumpy winds, and never turn or dive except when I move the transmitter stick telling it to?

Do I have the basic idea here?

(Gee, how did you guess that I'm a complete novice at gyros? )

Is this the creature you're talking about?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
Yep, that's it. once flashed with AO2 you can switch between rate gyro where it reacts to uncomanded motion (gets hit by a wind gust) or full function where the accelerometers keep the plane level. keep in mind that the last time I was checking into the AO firmware, once flashed, you could not return to the multicopter firmware, however this may have change since then.
Nov 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Just found out how to cut out unwanted sections of the video. At least, one way to do it. Probably the clumsiest way possible.

It's still sort of jumpy.

http://youtu.be/thgEKklujx4
man! that thing climbs!! What was your setup again?
Nov 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariveroll
man! that thing climbs!! What was your setup again?
Emax BL3526/04 motor from www.headsuprc.com
Master Airscrew 10-5 three-blade prop
Hobbywing 100A ESC
GensAce 4000mAh 5s LiPo battery

The motor is 44mm in diameter, larger and longer than the stock motor, so I had to hollow out the motor pod to make it fit, and trim the cross-shaped motor mount that came with it.

It's still a powered glider and always will be. But being able to get upstairs is handy sometimes.
Nov 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
Yep, that's it. once flashed with AO2 you can switch between rate gyro where it reacts to uncomanded motion (gets hit by a wind gust) or full function where the accelerometers keep the plane level. keep in mind that the last time I was checking into the AO firmware, once flashed, you could not return to the multicopter firmware, however this may have change since then.
you can return easily... I use it with a tricopter and a few different planes...

For the SSS ill be using OA2 and setup the camera stabilization to a P/T for my HD cameras...

Chris
Nov 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
I guess I was lucky to get a kit with proper clearance between the stock wing rod and the imbedded wing receptacles, so no adjustments were needed, with my SSS.
yea me also no problems.
Nov 12, 2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
you can return easily... I use it with a tricopter and a few different planes...

For the SSS ill be using OA2 and setup the camera stabilization to a P/T for my HD cameras...

Chris
Good to know!! I have to catch up on that thread I think this would be awesome in the SSS as there is plenty of room for it. once the winter weather sets in, I plan on adding a KK2 and my FPV setup for next spring!!
Nov 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
FPV Electronics For Life!
An update on my SSS lighting setup, I have the headlights fully installed, and tested! HOLY COW are these things bright... See for yourself:

Here is a video as well:
Testing 9W (2.1A) CREE LED Headlight (1 min 41 sec)

Still need to build a driver board for the wing lights and flood lights, will try to get that done tomorrow then I can put the plane together and run all the lights to see how it will look together .

Quick Reply