Sep 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
What size is the motor on this thing? Seems the biggest number of issues so far is with the stock power system (motor and ESC) . I fully expected to have to mod the power system all along so I'm interested in the diameter of the motor so I can search for a replacement. While I'm at it I'll pick up a BEC of maybe a controler with a BEC that can handle the load.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2012, 09:03 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Scott, I just saw the tail end of a news segment on Headline News about the crash and saw your name. I am waiting for it to come back on. I assume you were being interviewed.

It is 9:30EST and it looks like that segment is coming back on after a commercial.

They just showed it again. No interview with Scott but they did show his name for supplying the video.
Sad that they never name the photographer
Sep 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Scott, I just saw the tail end of a news segment on Headline News about the crash and saw your name. I am waiting for it to come back on. I assume you were being interviewed.

It is 9:30EST and it looks like that segment is coming back on after a commercial.

They just showed it again. No interview with Scott but they did show his name for supplying the video.
no they didn't interview us- just uesd our video of the L-39 going down and exploding -was sad to witness the death of a fine pilot- and I would much rather he lived than have the money given us by CNN and CBS for rights to the video...Bob had the best shots of the crash on his Sony Bloggie- the same one he flies on his plane....we also shared with the FAA
Sep 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01
:My flying buddy just got his,great solid plane,but the motor mount was installed so crooked it is pointing way left if looking at plane from back. So he will see what can be done with banana hobby come Tuesday. So sad as it looks to be a great plane ! "

Yea mine too. I was pissed off so I did what I thought was best....fixed it myself. Don't even try to return to B. hobby unless you got a month or two to waste. Cut the engine nacell horozontally then take the motor/mount off, cut off excess material under mount until straight then reglue with hot glue gun. Works great now. Still has up draft for clear air but not the egregious angle to starboard that is not necessary for this aircraft.
It is supposed to be off set like that- mine flies fine as it is and I also questioned the angle- then I checked with others who received the plane befor me and flew it- flies fine that way....
Sep 02, 2012, 09:38 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh
What size is the motor on this thing? Seems the biggest number of issues so far is with the stock power system (motor and ESC) . I fully expected to have to mod the power system all along so I'm interested in the diameter of the motor so I can search for a replacement. While I'm at it I'll pick up a BEC of maybe a controler with a BEC that can handle the load.
I belive its 36mm but don't quote me on that.
Scott flew his all stock and it flew great but ya you could up the prop as it is a 40 amp esc and static thrust measurement puts it in the 25 amp range with the stock prop.
Sep 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
Has anyone purchased a Super Skysurfer in the past 2 weeks and received it, or at least shipping confirmation with tracking info?

I ordered an ARF 2 weeks ago, said in stock as it still does. Not shipped as of yet. No replies from BH, and Sebatian on their support forum here on RCG basically said "Its in Progress".......No Crap..Hmmm, I seem to have read that in my account on BH!!

This will be my last order with BH. I said that the last time too, but this time Im seriously done with BH. I dont mind so much that its taking so long to ship, but rather that they are a bunch of lying goons. If they would just tell the truth, and not play you for an idiot it wouldnt be so bad!!!!
Sep 03, 2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger
How much better was the climb out and thrust with your 3 blade prop- and it is still stock motor? tis my only complaint so far is lack of thrust as i want to go high to take advantage of its large size and thus its increased visibility...
I'm going to switch back to the 2 blade prop as the 3 blade seems to drain the battery very fast, had 15 minutes on power from a 5000mah battery, not very good with the 3 blade, on a watt meter it draws 33amps at full throttle
The 2 blade thrust was adequate, not exciting but then if you buy this plane for thrills you bought the wrong plane

I may try a 9x6 or even a 9x6 folding prop just to experiment but I'm quite happy with the standard power for floating around

Here's some videos

Super Sky Surfer Bananahobby 2.4m Aerobatic Horyzon HD On Board (3 min 31 sec)

2.4m Super Sky Surfer floating around (2 min 58 sec)

Super Skysurfer Aerobatics Bananahobby 2.4m (1 min 25 sec)
Sep 03, 2012, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger
It is supposed to be off set like that- mine flies fine as it is and I also questioned the angle- then I checked with others who received the plane befor me and flew it- flies fine that way....
are you pulling my leg ?? why in the world would want a motor kicked off on a side angle ? seems to me it would want to make plane go to the left.
Sep 03, 2012, 01:38 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
are you pulling my leg ?? why in the world would want a motor kicked off on a side angle ? seems to me it would want to make plane go to the left.
Err, do some research into thrust angles
Sep 03, 2012, 02:54 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Quote:
The thing is you are exactly right
On an anti-clockwise spinning motor / prop, the forces will want to pull the airframe to the left. To counter this the motor and prop are mounted to channel the thrust to the right.
And on some aircraft it's at quite a notable angle which looks extreme and in some cases a little awkward like it was a mistake or just thrown on without thinking.

This also extends to upward or downward thrust angles.
This is why on some aircraft the angle of the prop and motor are angled down to counter the dramatic lift produced by the faster moving air.. You can see this effect by chopping the throttle and watching the aircraft baloon as there is no more downthrust to counter the upward lift.

If you look on the SSS the motor and prop are pointing up to counter the lift produced under power, this is due to the position of the power unit at the rear and top of the airframe.

I guess if you don't know then there's no problem with that, no body knows everything.

Take a look at some set ups on a few popular ARTF's to show the angle at which the motor and propeller are mounted.

The most notable one for me is the Parkzone ME109. Check the attachment for a picture with the cowl off.
Also have a look at the angle of the motors and props on pattern ships.

These angles are necessary due to the aerodynamic forces produced by the spinning propellers. Not just on model aircraft but also on fullsize aircraft of all descriptions.

The thrust line, which can be determined during design allows the aircraft to be flown without too much pilot input to ensure the airframe flies where you point it with the use of the control surfaces.

More importantly thrust angles allow the airframe to fly relatively straight and level under variable power inputs without too much input of control surfaces to counteract the forces of the spinning motor and propeller.

Hope this helps
Last edited by soundcheque; Sep 03, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
Sep 03, 2012, 03:40 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1
Sad that they never name the photographer
But they did. Every time I saw the video it posted Scott's name.
Sep 03, 2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA
Has anyone purchased a Super Skysurfer in the past 2 weeks and received it, or at least shipping confirmation with tracking info?

I ordered an ARF 2 weeks ago, said in stock as it still does. Not shipped as of yet. No replies from BH, and Sebatian on their support forum here on RCG basically said "Its in Progress".......No Crap..Hmmm, I seem to have read that in my account on BH!!

This will be my last order with BH. I said that the last time too, but this time Im seriously done with BH. I dont mind so much that its taking so long to ship, but rather that they are a bunch of lying goons. If they would just tell the truth, and not play you for an idiot it wouldnt be so bad!!!!
I ordered mine on 8/26 and it's due to be delivered tomorrow according to UPS.
Sep 03, 2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
I was going to tell you guys the same
They do indeed deliberately offset the motor to get the thrust angle correct and to counter torque roll
Sep 03, 2012, 11:12 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Seems like most of you guys only know how to buy and fly, but know nothing about engine torque and how to eliminate it. If you don't offset the motor to a certain amount of degrees, it'll cause the plane to roll to the opposite direction of motor rotation and you'll be spending more time fighting to keep your plane flying level, than you would enjoying your day out flying.
Sep 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude
I'm going to switch back to the 2 blade prop as the 3 blade seems to drain the battery very fast, had 15 minutes on power from a 5000mah battery, not very good with the 3 blade, on a watt meter it draws 33amps at full throttle
The 2 blade thrust was adequate, not exciting but then if you buy this plane for thrills you bought the wrong plane

I may try a 9x6 or even a 9x6 folding prop just to experiment but I'm quite happy with the standard power for floating around

Here's some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VNQH3ikZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtek2BXdyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OHmh5kyGRo
From the looks of those cloud shadows moving across the ground, in your first video, you must have been out flying in 10- 15 mph winds. Very nice view.

Quick Reply