Jan 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
Argue for your limitations
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Apparently I'm missing something.

You say you will never again use a CC ESC for anything because you're upset that an ESC rated for 30A caught fire when you continually pulled 45A through it!!?

Do you expect that a companies product should be able to withstand any kind of abuse you dish out and not damage your plane?

This does not seem like a good reason to stop using CC products.

Eric
Of course. The CC ESC's come with a temperature control. It failed. That is why they replaced it with another one (which I still have not used). I thing it is obvious - the guarantee did not save the ESC or my plane. I told them exactly what I did and they said nothing and replaced it.

AJ
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
I vote with Eric on this one.

It's like taking an empty 12 oz can of beer back to the store and asking for a refund because it wasn't a tall boy.

--Jason
That is silly. It is actually the other way around..... They promised tall boys and.....
AJ
Jan 15, 2013, 10:00 PM
Since I'm getting the kit version it looks like the SSS takes a 17g or so servo, correct? I think that these will 'fit the bill'. I saw the post about the EPBuddy 17g servos and these are pretty identical. The EPBuddy ones are out of stock right now. I already have a 60A ESC with a Castle 10A BEC wired to it, now I have to dig through my parts box and find a motor...
Jan 16, 2013, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is silly. It is actually the other way around..... They promised tall boys and.....
AJ
Ok, let's cut to the chase here. Why run 45 amps thru a 30 amp ESC? Knowingly? Even if said ESC has temp controls. Is it a test of the temp control?

Size the gear appropriately, I say.

--Jason
Jan 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
Quote:
Ok, let's cut to the chase here. Why run 45 amps thru a 30 amp ESC? Knowingly? Even if said ESC has temp controls. Is it a test of the temp control?

--Jason
I agree... My mistake was putting a prop too large for my motor on... Didnt have a good data logger so had to "fly to get better results" and ended way over the specifications.

Now I have a 7-in-1 meter
Jan 16, 2013, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I agree... My mistake was putting a prop too large for my motor on... Didnt have a good data logger so had to "fly to get better results" and ended way over the specifications.

Now I have a 7-in-1 meter
I did the same thing.
AJ
Jan 16, 2013, 01:06 AM
Quote:

--Jason
Why do you ask? Any answer would not help anyone. The important point is to use a watt meter for ANY change in the power system. An ounce of prevention.....
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: add link
Jan 16, 2013, 02:47 AM
Quote:
The important point is to use a watt meter for ANY change in the power system. An ounce of prevention.....
AJ
I can get behind that sentiment... Now, if it weren't so Damn Cold, I could go fly...

--Jason
Jan 16, 2013, 09:21 AM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
Why do you ask? Any answer would not help anyone. The important point is to use a watt meter for ANY change in the power system. An ounce of prevention.....
AJ
Agreed.
Jan 16, 2013, 11:38 AM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
I can get behind that sentiment... Now, if it weren't so Damn Cold, I could go fly...

--Jason
No kidding. Its been below zero and I just scouted our flying site... there's a min 3 inches of snow on the entire field with drifts up to 1-2 feet! Guess its time to bust out the skis....

Eric
Jan 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
You guys are lucky... Its just raining here, sort of kills flying and rain with 32deg F weather sucks... Just snow already!
Jan 16, 2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:

--Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
No kidding. Its been below zero and I just scouted our flying site... there's a min 3 inches of snow on the entire field with drifts up to 1-2 feet! Guess its time to bust out the skis....

Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
You guys are lucky... Its just raining here, sort of kills flying and rain with 32deg F weather sucks... Just snow already!
It is 46degF here and I am going flying this afternoon when it gets up to 54F. California is where you never put away your lawnmower for the winter
AJ
Here is my weather for the week: http://weatherforyou.com/reports/ind...it=Get+Weather
Jan 16, 2013, 05:29 PM
AMA - 734492
Well rain does suck for sure... probably the worst situation of all.

I just got my tracking info and my SSS should be here Friday! It should fly and land beautifully on the snow we got here, just gotta brave the freezing temperatures.

Yeah... CA has nice weather, but there is fun to be had in the winter/snow that you guys will just rarely if ever experience... and I'm not just talking about airplanes...

Eric
Jan 16, 2013, 06:54 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Maiden flight today. Boy she flys real slow which will be nice for my fpv setup. Tip stalled and barely caught it, so learned my lesson there. Also it does not seem to handle wind too well. Other than that it flew great
Jan 16, 2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
what is the problem with deans ? i know there are copies of the deans and the real ones, i use deans on everything,and if they have a problem,id like to know so i can start switching everything before i have the problem. thanks.
The problem with Deans is the wire attachment method. They depend on a lap solder joint, which is the worst possible way to solder a wire. First there is nothing to support the wire during the soldering process so you really need three hands; one to hold the wire, another to hold the solder and a third to hold the gun or iron. Second, the integrity of the joint depends on contact along just one side of the wire. I have switched to XT-60s. They have cylindrical solder wells that I can fill with solder prior to attaching the wire, and that hold the wire while the solder is cooling, and they provide 360 degree contact between the wire and the connector. In addition the XT-60s are larger and easier to grip.

That aside if you have a large number of them making a switch will entail a lot of work and expense, so might not be worth it for you. Fortunately I made the switch shortly after getting started in RC.

Quick Reply