Aug 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
So after a lot of hemming and hawing about motors I finally decide on the E-fllite Power 280 Paul suggested and wouldn't you know it, everybody is out of stock until late September.

Some days you can't win...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
Just to confirm that it's not just Carls, mine is the same way.
Aug 20, 2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks. I have notified Brian at BMJR so he can check the set up for that particular sheet of laser cut parts. I also mentioned that the 1/16" plywood sheet of parts needs to have nacelle formers C3 adjusted to have an outside diameter of 1 1/4" so they will conform to the DuBro spinners.

Paul Bradley
Aug 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
killickb
Carl, isn't it incredible how EVERY RETAILER/MANUFACTURE is out of stock on everything these days. Are we modellers expanding faster than the universe or has today's business model gone to H---, I am positive it is the latter --- greed is still good!
Aug 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBrad
Thanks. I have notified Brian at BMJR so he can check the set up for that particular sheet of laser cut parts. I also mentioned that the 1/16" plywood sheet of parts needs to have nacelle formers C3 adjusted to have an outside diameter of 1 1/4" so they will conform to the DuBro spinners.

Paul Bradley
Paul, don't forget the slot in the W5 ribs. Its been missing in couple of kits.
Aug 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen
Paul, don't forget the slot in the W5 ribs. Its been missing in couple of kits.
I did mention this to Brian. I just received an email from him indicating that indeed the file used for the laser somehow has the slot in one of the W5 ribs missing. He has cut some extra W5s for those of you who have bought kits from the first batch. Give BMJR a call and they will send out properly cut W5 ribs.

Paul Bradley
Aug 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
Got a little bit done on the wings today. No big surprises. I had to add a little material to the precut sheeting but thats just part of fitting things together.
Aug 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the pics Carl!
Aug 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Some notes on building the nacelles.

Nacelle former N2 is much smaller than what is shown on the plan. They are the little things on sheet V.

The tabs on N2 are supposed to fit into the nacelle tip and root sides. The problem is the slots in the tip and root sides on sheet W have the slot much to low and won't line up when you go glue the sides on.

Kinda hard to get a picture of it but you'll see it when you have the pieces in front of you.
Aug 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks Carl. I haven't got to that part yet. I'm working on the fuse now. I have found 1 problem so far and that is the upper rear fuse sides do not reach former f12. It will reach the base of the former but rakes back at a much more extreme angle then the former so it does not reach the top. The former is at the proper angle cause it matches the out line of the canopy. I can't post a picture cause my laptop craped out so I'm posting this from work on my I-pad and I'm about ready to throw it out the window.
Aug 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
Carl and vicrider - I have examined my drawing files for the parts mentioned and everything is as it should be. The areas you both mentioned are parts of the design that I revised based on my build from the very first set of parts that were cut. I am begining to think that Brian may not have replaced all of the affected cut files on the computer he uses to drive the laser. That would explain the problems you have run into so far including the location of the wing dowel hole in the wing sub-leading edges.

I have asked Brian not to ship any more kits until all of the parts stored in the laser computer can be verified with the master source files. The types of fit issues being reported just should not be happening based on the drawings. I really do feel bad for the group of you who bought kits from the first batch.

Brian is currently traveling on personal business and will not be back until the weekend. Hopefully we can get the issues resolved soon after he gets home so he can get replacement parts out to all of you.

Paul Bradley
Aug 22, 2012, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the post Paul.
I meant I was going to throw the I-pad out the window, not the plane.
Im still enjoying building the plane, the few problem areas are easy to over come, and you have been helpful, so no worries.
Aug 22, 2012, 07:40 AM
Not a problem Paul. There are usually some teething problems with the first run of kits. As vcrider said it's still an enjoyable build.

One thing I forgot to mention in the nacelle pic. The right most side 1/64th ply is missing the front tabs which interface with N1. Could just be my kit but I'd check.

Another minor error. Parts N6 and N7 have a tab in the front; former N-1 doesn't. Sandpaper to the rescue.

Just for reference the instructions have those parts without the tab on sheet M and O. That would lead me to think that the cut files printed in the instructions were not the same as the actual cut files the kit was made from.

HTH
Last edited by Carl Petersen; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Paul, I hope you don't think I'm piling on here. If it's not a help to fix the kit just let me know.
Aug 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
No problem Carl. Your posts have been very helpful in identifying issues with the parts. The fact that the parts identification guide and the actual parts are not always the same seems to confirm that something went wrong with the file update process when Brian transferred the final cut files to the computer that controls the laser.

Brian has indicated he will be doing a part for part evaluation when he gets home and will make sure replacements are made available as soon as possible. For those of you currently building that may be to late, but hopefully not.

I know he is feeling really bad about the issues that have arisen. That is not his style. He found himself in circumstances that often lead to these types of issue. External priorities that needed his attention and a desire to not make people wait months and months for kits. A very important step in his normal process was short cut and we see the results. I don't think Brian will take that path again when he is going to release a new kit.

Paul Bradley

Quick Reply